• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is tape restoration

19 posts in this topic

The book will not be downgraded unless it is a higher grade than a VG 4.0.

CGC will grade the book as if the tape was not there so if the tape is securing the cover it would be graded as if the cover were not secured.

Here is CGC's new stance on tape.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

6 hours ago, 2d2r said:

I have an Amazing Fantasy 15 that had tape over the "inside" of the cover staple areas. Would this be graded as restored?

No it will not be graded as restoration.

But it is clearly restorative.

hopefully this gets changed in the near future.

Edited by NP_Gresham

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

CGC will grade the book as if the tape was not there so if the tape is securing the cover it would be graded as if the cover were not secured.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

I don't believe this to be true.  That is from 2013.  As far as I know, CGC now downgrades for tape.

6 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

This is what I believed to be true, until I saw this book floating around on eBay (graded 2018)...

s-l1600-9.thumb.jpg.e2d0f271538fa79a6325cef9ab5a5335.jpg

Well...

I do not have my books graded but IMO CGC needs to "make up their mind" and should publish "Generalized CGC Grading Standards" so people know what the heck is going on.

This is like Baseball HOF induction, what does it take to get in, the standards are constantly changing to the point that nobody knows what the standards are anymore.

It really does not matter to me, as far as I am concerned, I love my books but when push comes to shove, they are just comic books and I have plenty of books with tape.

11 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Well...

I do not have my books graded but IMO CGC needs to "make up their mind" and should publish "Generalized CGC Grading Standards" so people know what the heck is going on.

This is like Baseball HOF induction, what does it take to get in, the standards are constantly changing to the point that nobody knows what the standards are anymore.

It really does not matter to me, as far as I am concerned, I love my books but when push comes to shove, they are just comic books and I have plenty of books with tape.

I agree, them changing their minds on this and not being clear about what is and isn’t resto as far as tape is concerned is frustrating. But to me it seems only a matter of time before it’s viewed as restoration once and for all, because at the end of the day what really is the difference between tape and glue on the cover? Both are adhesive substances one just has a piece of cellophane attached to the adhesive substance and that somehow makes it better than the one without? But maybe not depending on what year you had it graded and what kind of tape and what the function of the tape was? Okay, if you say so CGC. 

8 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

I agree, them changing their minds on this and not being clear about what is and isn’t resto as far as tape is concerned is frustrating. But to me it seems only a matter of time before it’s viewed as restoration once and for all, because at the end of the day what really is the difference between tape and glue on the cover? Both are adhesive substances one just has a piece of cellophane attached to the adhesive substance and that somehow makes it better than the one without? But maybe not depending on what year you had it graded and what kind of tape and what the function of the tape was? Okay, if you say so CGC. 

well what about added staples? As far as I know its not considered resto and is similar to tape. I know they usually knock down the grade for added staples 

:preach:  Lets look at this for what it really is, they are "just comic books".

The only difference between tape and the other items you mentioned as being restorative is that "Scotch Tape" has been used to hold comic books together for decades by kids of all ages without even thinking twice about it so tape has a looooooooooong history of use on comic books while the other items you mentioned have not.

IMO tape is a part of comic book history just like subscription creases and depending on the age of the book should be treated that way, is the tape fresh or decades old?

If it decades old that was the norm of the time and should be viewed that way without consequence, if the tape is being used on a book from the 90's/2000's it is not the same as a book from the 40's/50's/60's that may have been taped during that time period.

Just as I referenced the Baseball HOF earlier, players from the 1890's/1900's in the Dead Ball Era cannot be held to the same standards as the players from the 50's/60's (Golden Age of Baseball), the Steroid era or today's play with Major League Baseball in a round about way admitting to a "Juiced Ball", each era has to be judged on its own merits.  rantrant  :signofftopic:

Sorry, starting to sound like my Mom and taking forks in the road while story telling so... :eek:  and get off my lawn...Punk. :preach:

On 7/16/2019 at 4:28 AM, 2d2r said:

I have an Amazing Fantasy 15 that had tape over the "inside" of the cover staple areas. Would this be graded as restored?

Are the staples gone? If they're still there and fairly firm, you could have the tape professionally removed (or buy some Bestine and take care of it yourself, if you're an intrepid soul). 

On 7/16/2019 at 6:14 PM, wiparker824 said:

This is what I believed to be true, until I saw this book floating around on eBay (graded 2018)...

s-l1600-9.thumb.jpg.e2d0f271538fa79a6325cef9ab5a5335.jpg

Maybe in this case they considered it restoration because the tape was the only thing keeping the piece attached to the cover (and not just a tear) - It would make sense if a tear has tape and it's just keeping it from flapping to be considered Blue label while complete pieces reattached by tape (that otherwise would be lost) considered restoration.  Either way, it is vague and it would be nice for us to know what to expect prior to submission what stance CGC has on tape (being considered for blue or purple labels, particularly). 2c

6 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Maybe in this case they considered it restoration because the tape was the only thing keeping the piece attached to the cover (and not just a tear) - It would make sense if a tear has tape and it's just keeping it from flapping to be considered Blue label while complete pieces reattached by tape (that otherwise would be lost) considered restoration.  Either way, it is vague and it would be nice for us to know what to expect prior to submission what stance CGC has on tape (being considered for blue or purple labels, particularly). 2c

I hear you but here’s the same book (below) with the same note from CGC about pieces being reattached with tape, yet this one is a blue label... At best, like you said, it’s way too vague and at worst it’s just very inconsistent.09C82124-8B55-4F4F-AE71-3B0F51987A4E.thumb.jpeg.ec3592f11382d813779085d1bb3febd0.jpeg

2 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

I hear you but here’s the same book (below) with the same note from CGC about pieces being reattached with tape, yet this one is a blue label... At best, like you said, it’s way too vague and at worst it’s just very inconsistent.09C82124-8B55-4F4F-AE71-3B0F51987A4E.thumb.jpeg.ec3592f11382d813779085d1bb3febd0.jpeg

Yeah...that is contradictory for sure lol I wonder which one was graded first?  Maybe the purple label one came first then the blue (with both being new slabs it's harder to know).  This has me scratching my head, too...

5 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Yeah...that is contradictory for sure lol I wonder which one was graded first?  Maybe the purple label one came first then the blue (with both being new slabs it's harder to know).  This has me scratching my head, too...

They look to have been graded 6 months apart, purple label 11/18, blue label 5/19 according to census anyways... I don’t know, but the back and forth stance on tape in general is why I generally try to avoid it - I’ve got a lot of low-mid grade SA books but I generally prefer other defects over tape unless the deal is too good to pass up. 

On 7/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, comicdonna said:

I don't believe this to be true.  That is from 2013.  As far as I know, CGC now downgrades for tape.

Also, obviously CGC wanted people to know their "new stance" on tape and that is why this was published.  :applause:

If that has changed wouldn't it be prudent to publish your "new stance" on tape?  ???   (shrug)  hm   :pullhair:

In the medical/research world they change their mind about what is healthy and what is not every week but at least they tell you about it.

Also, as I stated earlier, according to the "Published Grading Standards"  :rulez:  tape is allowed without consequence all the up to GD/VG 3.0 and that is what I am going with, that's my story and I am sticking to it.  :preach:

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG)

"Tape and other amateur repair may be present."   :whatthe: