• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certificate of Authenticity, Questions
1 1

11 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, STEVEN ZINN said:

I am interested in sending my comics that have COA's ,for grading, They are all Signed,  Will these comics be certified SS CGC ,??? 

to get CGC SS the signature needs to be witnessed by a CGC rep or authorized dealer. Any unwitnessed signature submitted to CGC will probably get a Green label or a notation that someone wrote on the cover "persons name". There is a whole section and tons of info on the forums and internet about the process. I would suggest reading up on that. 

Best of Luck and Welcome to the boards :tink:

Just now, Krishosein said:

to get CGC SS the signature needs to be witnessed by a CGC rep or authorized dealer. Any unwitnessed signature submitted to CGC will probably get a Green label or a notation that someone wrote on the cover "persons name". There is a whole section and tons of info on the forums and internet about the process. I would suggest reading up on that. 

Best of Luck and Welcome to the boards :tink:

I feel like my answer was more concise...

Just now, TwoPiece said:

I feel like my answer was more concise...

it was and had the same point but I wanted to help the newbies out. To get the ball rolling for his research.

A key but oft forgotten part is that there needs to be a chain of custody for the CGC authorized witness that is kept. 

In some cases, the COA witness is ALSO a CGC authorized witness.  BUT if you took the book home (or technically out of site of the witness) after the signing, you will not get the CGC SS designation, even with a COA from someone who happens to be an authorized CGC witness.  So that same witness (possibly in conference with other witnesses or CGC employees) from the point of the signing would need to see that book safely (and untampered with) into the official custody of CGC.

2 hours ago, STEVEN ZINN said:

I am interested in sending my comics that have COA's ,for grading, They are all Signed,  Will these comics be certified SS CGC ,??? 

From the main CGC page under CGC Grading is a link to Signature Series.  It gives you the information you need to answer this question.  Here is a link to it as well.

https://www.cgccomics.com/signature-series/

On 7/24/2019 at 2:48 AM, Josh85 said:

just curious, does the COA get put in the slab with the comic?

No.  Loose items are not slabbed with the comic. It's best not to send them to CGC at all, but I believe CGC does their best to return those loose items separately.