• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page colors. Will white eventually turn to offwhite/cream

14 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Just wondering what affects page colors most?  Also if I buy a Hulk 181 white pages... will it remain white in the slab or will it slowly degrade no matter what?

check and see how many golden age in cgc has white pages.... that were still only recently graded... :wishluck: 

I believe that you'll see that given the right storage conditions anything is possible :whee: 

Plus if what your saying is possible or you stored it wrong, your cream pages would become "tan and brittle", which I don't believe has happened yet..... :headbang: 

5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Just wondering what affects page colors most?  Also if I buy a Hulk 181 white pages... will it remain white in the slab or will it slowly degrade no matter what?

Entropy and the second law of thermodynamics guarantees that your Hulk 181 will turn to dust one day, regardless of your storage method. 

More than likely, this will be many years after you have turned to dust. 

A less-matter-of-fact answer is...the slab will only slow the degradation. 

Exposure to sunlight and wild swings in humidity and temperature affect page colors the most. 

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

Entropy and the second law of thermodynamics guarantees that your Hulk 181 will turn to dust one day, regardless of your storage method. 

More than likely, this will be many years after you have turned to dust. 

A less-matter-of-fact answer is...the slab will only slow the degradation. 

Exposure to sunlight and wild swings in humidity and temperature affect page colors the most. 

Ahh, I just need to keep it white for about 50 years..  I don't care what happens afterwards

In my experience heat is the big enemy of newsprint. Being exposed to sunlight constantly too, but being in hot temperatures for long periods of time will yellow newsprint fast and will make newsprint brittle. Keep newsprint cool and away from humidity and it will stay good and white for a very long time.

6 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

check and see how many golden age in cgc has white pages.... that were still only recently graded... :wishluck: 

I believe that you'll see that given the right storage conditions anything is possible :whee: 

Plus if what your saying is possible or you stored it wrong, your cream pages would become "tan and brittle", which I don't believe has happened yet..... :headbang: 

Ehhhh.... Mr President.... that is not entirely accurate... 

It was my understanding (I may be wrong) that GA DCs used a different paper stock than GA Timely and Fiction House and all the rest... this is what also allowed quite a few more DCs to survive with more supple pages than Timely's.  This has allowed certain books to remain white and supple over the years while stacked in the corner while other books are showing their age. 

I think that @RockMyAmadeus is the guy that knows about the paper quality of bronze age marvel and how it compares...  

The Church Action #1 pages were still supple, white, and you could smell the ink from what I've read so keep oxygen/moisture away and should last quite a long time indeed.  Cellulose is not known to spontaneously decompose really, it need moisture and oxygen.  I believe there are trees that are thousands of years old and the dead interior xylem has not disintigrated.

Just now, kav said:

The Church Action #1 pages were still supple, white, and you could smell the ink from what I've read so keep oxygen/moisture away and should last quite a long time indeed.  Cellulose is not known to spontaneously decompose really, it need moisture and oxygen.  I believe there are trees that are thousands of years old and the dead interior xylem has not disintigrated.

Wasn't the majority of the church collection left in stacks in his basement? 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Wasn't the majority of the church collection left in stacks in his basement? 

The main books according to Chuck when I talked to him were in a closet stacked neatly.