• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Studios phase 4
3 3

349 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The strengh of the Marvel Universe is they have so many great characters to make movies about. That was DC`s weakness always making movies about Superman and Batman. Look how good the Aquaman and Shazam movies were? I guarantee all those Marvel A list characters will be back. What no one seems to be pointing out is Marvel Phase 4  ends on November 6, 2021. That is only two years. I am sure many A list characters like Deadpool and Spider-Man will be back for Marvel Phase 5.

Not sure you can compare Aquaman (an ever present in the JLA) and Shazam (Huge in the 40s) to Eternals and Shang Chi (who have never been able to even hold down a regular title). I also think one of these upcomming movies will be the first MCU flop.

Did they say phase 4 will end with Thor? I just assumed they only announced the first 2 years of phase 4.

8 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Not sure you can compare Aquaman (an ever present in the JLA) and Shazam (Huge in the 40s) to Eternals and Shang Chi (who have never been able to even hold down a regular title). I also think one of these upcomming movies will be the first MCU flop.

Did they say phase 4 will end with Thor? I just assumed they only announced the first 2 years of phase 4.

Yeah because GOTG have been fan favorites since the 50’s and Ant-Man has the longest running comic series of any Marvel character. And Carol Danvers has been second in Marvel fan popularity only to Spidey-Man. 

And making a movie that targets the China market is box office doom ie Transformers Age of Exhaustion. 

Do you sense sarcasm and ridicule in my post?

15 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Not sure you can compare Aquaman (an ever present in the JLA) and Shazam (Huge in the 40s) to Eternals and Shang Chi (who have never been able to even hold down a regular title).

Anybody ever think Groot would be a merchandising hit or Guardians of the Galaxy would make more money at the box office than Fantastic Four? I guarantee both Eternals and Shang Chi will both do close to a billion at the box office.

Throw those old comic book sales data from the 1970s out the window compared to how big the Marvel brand is now.

Marvel is bigger than Star Wars now worldwide.

God bless Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I wonder if they knew they were creating the most popular worldwide franchise ever?

At one time these characters were shunned by mainstream, now they are the new rock stars.

Talk about a shocking turn of events these last 25 years.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Anybody ever think Groot would be a merchandising hit or Guardians of the Galaxy would make more money at the box office than Fantastic Four? I guarantee both Eternals and Shang Chi will both do close to a billion at the box office.

Throw those old comic book sales data from the 1970s out the window compared to how big the Marvel brand is now.

Marvel is bigger than Star Wars now worldwide.

God bless Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I wonder if they knew they were creating the most popular worldwide franchise ever?

At one time these characters were shunned by mainstream, now they are the new rock stars.

Talk about a shocking turn of events these last 25 years.

If a Star Wars movie featuring one of the most beloved characters in cinema can bomb, so can an MCU movie. Shang Chi will do well only because of China but the Chinese have a deal where only a tiny fraction of the BO goes to the studio. Like 10%.

Edited by Anfield Fox

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Two out of three Thor movies have Natalie Portman. So what you mean is the only one good Thor movie is the one without her. Are you saying you didn't like the first Thor movie at the least? But you liked Ragnarok which means you liked what Taika Waititi did with the franchise but you aren't going to like what Taika is about to do because Natalie Portman will now be in it. I'm confused by your logic.

As for Hemsworth being back, he was up on stage last night. Either he'll be back or he was there as a goodwill ambassador to wish Natalie Portman the best. If it was his last MCU movie ever, a goodbye to the SDCC crowd (and the internet) would have been nice. I guess he has better things to do like make a MIB sequel to his sequel. So inconsiderate.

I’m talking all movies with Thor In them. Anytime you see Natalie Portman in a movie with Thor, it’s horrible. Every time you see Thor in a movie without Natalie Portman in it, he is awesome and the movie is great!

Its always been awkward casting. She has no real chemistry with maybe the most likable actor of our generation (next to Chris Pratt maybe) and that’s an amazing accomplishment. She is to me the most over rated actress in our lifetime. She deserved an Oscar as much as Marisa Tomei did. 

She can’t do comedy, that’s the biggest issue. Nothing exposes an actors flaws like comedy, and that will cause problems.

52 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

If a Star Wars movie featuring one of the most beloved characters in cinema can bomb, so can an MCU movie. Shang Chi will do well only because of China but the Chinese have a deal where only a tiny fraction of the BO goes to the studio. Like 10%.

I bet it will be a huge hit just like Captain Marvel and Black Panther. Marvel is the most popular movie franchise in the world now. Plus Disney marketing machine. Hard to beat that.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I bet it will be a huge hit just like Captain Marvel and Black Panther. Marvel is the most popular movie franchise in the world now. Plus Disney marketing machine. Hard to beat that.

Don't do this.

CM was only a financial "hit" because of its billing as a must-see between Infinity War and Endgame.

2 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Is that Black Lightning?  I thought he was DC.  (I seriously don't know who the dude in the middle is).

It's the cover from The Ultimates comic book a few years ago. This image was just used for the article, has nothing to do with a movie. The guy in the middle is Blue Marvel.

I understand some of the Jane Foster Lady Thor hate, but who can say "no" to this face?

natalie-portman-jane-foster-1159651-1280x0.thumb.jpg.37da5eb701f5c9732ad9d328df7d4ed6.jpg

Arguably the prettiest lady in Hollywood. Thor almost took her for his wife. She was almost Mrs. Thor. If she's worthy enough for a mature Odinson, of course she'd be worthy of Mjolnir. 

For folks complaining about her height, she's 5'3". Black Widow is also 5'3" and Valkyrie is 5'4". 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

Shang Chi will do well only because of China but the Chinese have a deal where only a tiny fraction of the BO goes to the studio. Like 10%.

It's more like 25% in China. But in comparison, a studio only gets like 50% of domestic U.S. box office.

Anybody who's betting on Shang Chi bombing is deluding themselves. It ties in to Iron Man's original nemesis and it's a martial arts movie in the MCU. Everybody (except haters) is going to go see this flick.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

32 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I understand some of the Jane Foster Lady Thor hate, but who can say "no" to this face?

natalie-portman-jane-foster-1159651-1280x0.thumb.jpg.37da5eb701f5c9732ad9d328df7d4ed6.jpg

Arguably the prettiest lady in Hollywood. Thor almost took her for his wife. She was almost Mrs. Thor. If she's worthy enough for a mature Thor, of course she'd be worthy of Mjolnir. 

For folks complaining about her height, she's 5'3". Black Widow is also 5'3" and Valkyrie is 5'4". 

I think Natalie Portman is a great actor. Look forward to seeing another installment of the Thor franchise. I have liked them all and they get better each time IMHO. Ragnarok was a blast!

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Anybody who's betting against Shang Chi bombing is deluding themselves. It ties in to Iron Man's original nemesis and it's a martial arts movie in the MCU. Everybody (except haters) is going to go see this flick.

Sounds like the same crew who thought Black Panther and Captain Marvel would bomb. We know how that turned out. lol.

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Sounds like the same crew who thought Black Panther and Captain Marvel would bomb. We know how that turned out. lol.

And even the haters eventually come out to a MCU movie. I especially love the Youtube MCU critics who say "I'll go see the movie so you don't have to." lol