• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Studios phase 4
3 3

349 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Mahershala Ali will be the new Blade.  Previously, he portrayed Cottonmouth in Luke Cage.  Is this the first time that the same actor will portray two different characters within the MCU?  If not, when has this happened before?

Depends on how you count "MCU" given that the TV and film productions were separate. I think the only crossovers film were with Agents of Shield (with appearances by at least Coulson, Maria Hill, Peggy Carter, Nick Fury and Lady Sif).

I bring that up that separation because with the Fox merger we now have at least:

- Chris Evans (Johnny Storm, Captain America)

- Michael B. Jordan (Johnny Storm, Killmonger)

- (presumably) Ryan Reynolds (Hannibal King in Blade:Trinity & Deadpool in ??)

As well as:

- Alfre Woodard (Civil War, Luke Cage)

- Benedict Cumberbatch (both Dr. Strange and Dormammu in Doctor Strange)

- Seth Green (cameo in Iron Man 2, then voiced Howard the Duck in Guardians)

23 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Depends on how you count "MCU" given that the TV and film productions were separate. I think the only crossovers film were with Agents of Shield (with appearances by at least Coulson, Maria Hill, Peggy Carter, Nick Fury and Lady Sif).

I bring that up that separation because with the Fox merger we now have at least:

As well as:

If considering all Marvel productions (not just MCU), then:

• IDRIS ELBA: Heimdall in Thor and as Ghost Rider 2's Moreau
  • RAY STEVENSON: Frank Castle and Volstagg
  • PATTON OSWALT: SHIELD as Tatiana Maslany and in Blade: Trinity as Hedges
  • ALFRE WOODARD: Luke Cage's Mariah Dillard and then the mother in Civil War Miriam Sharpe that tells Tony Stark about her dead son
  • JON FAVREAU: Foggy in Daredevil and then Happy in Iron Man
  • KATE MARA: U.S. Marshall in Iron Man II and then Sue Storm in Fantastic Four
  • OLIVIA MUNN: Chess Roberts in Iron Man II and then Psylocke in X-Men Apocalypse.
  • SAM ELLIOTT: General Ross in Hulk and Carter Slade in Ghost Rider.
  • TONY CURRAN: Thor's grandfather in Thor II and Finn Cooley in Netflix's Daredevil.
  • TIM BLAKE NELSON: Samuel Sterns in The Incredible Hulk and Dr. Harvey Allen. Dr. Allen in The Fantastic Four.

Wow! There are a lot of them.

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

I'm a little burned out myself. I saw Endgame, enjoyed it, but I feel like that was a good conclusion to the series. I haven't seen Far From Home yet, and I'm a big Spidey fan. 

As a big Spidey fan also, it’s ok. A step back though for me. I thought the way they introduced Spidey in Civil War was great. I thought his first solo film was very good. This latest addition I think wasted a good character in Mysterio with a poor plot that ultimately did nothing. I mean it does something but now we are at least 4-5 years from finding out what the effects of that something are

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I'm a little burned out myself. I saw Endgame, enjoyed it, but I feel like that was a good conclusion to the series. I haven't seen Far From Home yet, and I'm a big Spidey fan. 

Definitely go see it. I had no expectations about it and it became my favorite Spider-Man movie.

Once you see it you will not be burned out with super heroes. The magic is back.

:cloud9:

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

As well as:

Thanks!  Good stuff here.

Maybe everyone is different, but I consider Agents of Shield and the Netflix shows to be taking place in the MCU.  Agents of Shield has direct ties to the movies as you mentioned while the Netflix shows don't have any direct character crossovers, but there have been a number of references to MCU events in the Netflix shows...mostly Battle of New York stuff.  I can't speak much for the Hulu series as I haven't seen Runaways or Cloak & Dagger. 

You're right...the Fox merger does muddy the waters a bit.  I'd guess that Disney would be happy to leave a lot of the old versions of these properties (FF4, Ghost Rider, etc) in the past but I'm sure they'd be happy to fold in some of the more successful characters like Reynold's Deadpool or Fassbender's Magneto. 

While I can see the argument for Cumberbatch and Green as technically they are portrayed by the same actors, I have a hard time counting them personally as Dormammu and Howard the Duck are fully CGI characters, which again blurs the line a bit. 

On this list, I'd certainly consider Alfre Woodard though.  She had a speaking role in both a Marvel movie and a Netflix series. 

Interesting to read that this isn't the first time. 

On 7/21/2019 at 8:48 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I understand some of the Jane Foster Lady Thor hate, but who can say "no" to this face?

natalie-portman-jane-foster-1159651-1280x0.thumb.jpg.37da5eb701f5c9732ad9d328df7d4ed6.jpg

Arguably the prettiest lady in Hollywood. Thor almost took her for his wife. She was almost Mrs. Thor. If she's worthy enough for a mature Odinson, of course she'd be worthy of Mjolnir. 

For folks complaining about her height, she's 5'3". Black Widow is also 5'3" and Valkyrie is 5'4". 

You're delusional if you think she's the "prettiest lady in Hollywood". Olivia Wilde? Bryce Dallas Howard? Christina Hendricks? There's hundreds of better-looking, less-annoying, and in better Thor-shape than Portwoman.

She's just awful in fantasy-genre films. And the Foster-'Thor' run was awful. Just a clusterf^&* of awfulness.

So, Phase 4 is going to have less films than any preceding Phase, and force TV tie-ins for the first time.

Bad formula.

Not even sure if I wanna see Doctor Strange ITMOM at this point.

Who cares about Valkyrie's orientation? Shouldn't her 1st priority be fixing Asgard's problems, not a love interest..? Shouldn't we be responsible for not forcing this drek on younger generations..?

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

You're delusional if you think she's the "prettiest lady in Hollywood". Olivia Wilde? Bryce Dallas Howard? Christina Hendricks?

Uh, I think Ms. Portman wins that beauty and brains contest hands down. And Olivia Wilde wasn't that great in Tron 2 Electric Bugaloo.

And the Foster-'Thor' run was awful. Just a clusterf^&* of awfulness.

We can all agree that Thor 2 was bad. But the first Thor movie was a success and paved the way for the cosmic MCU and The Avengers after IM started it. If Thor failed, Avengers wouldn't work. But it did. So here we are. The MCU is king, and owes a lot to the success of Thor.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Uh, I think Ms. Portman wins that beauty and brains contest hands down. And Olivia Wilde wasn't that great in Tron 2 Electric Bugaloo.

We can all agree that Thor 2 was bad. But the first Thor movie was a success and paved the way for the cosmic MCU and The Avengers after IM started it. If Thor failed, Avengers wouldn't work. But it did. So here we are. The MCU is king, and owes a lot to the success of Thor.

Nobody was...

Who cares about Valkyrie's orientation? Shouldn't her 1st priority be fixing Asgard's problems, not a love interest..? Shouldn't we be responsible for not forcing this drek on younger generations..?

You're right. Nobody should care what Valkyrie's sexual orientation should be. But unfortunately we live in a world that still ostracizes gay and lesbian people. In some places, they are targeted for violence and/or death. Here in America, they're still not afforded the same rights in some states as "straight" Americans such as freedom from discrimination in the workplace or the right to marry the person they love. Super-heroes not only fight evil, but also represent the best we can be. They can be a metaphor for higher truths and a higher morality. And if Valkyrie can be the start of a movie super-hero who helps normalize what it is to be gay or lesbian and not be seen as something to discriminate against, then we should all be for it.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You're right. Nobody should care what Valkyrie's sexual orientation should be. But unfortunately we live in a world that still ostracizes gay and lesbian people. In some places, they are targeted for violence and/or death. Here in America, they're still not afforded the same rights in some states as "straight" Americans such as freedom from discrimination in the workplace or the right to marry the person they love. Super-heroes not only fight evil, but also represent the best we can be. They can be a metaphor for higher truths and a higher morality. And if Valkyrie can be the start of a movie super-hero who helps normalize what it is to be gay or lesbian and not be seen as something to discriminate against, then we should all be for it.

lmfao wut

Not sure if you know why movies exist, but, they're a form of escapism. I don't wanna watch King(?) Valkyrie looking for a Queen. I wanna watch comic heroes smash villains. Keep this BS out of our movies. Kids don't need to see this :censored:.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

163338490_Spider-ManWithgreatpowerpanel-8x6.jpg.36c2087a3c334105e044853199e4af45.jpg

Shouldn't Marvel have a responsibility of not pandering to SJW, of not marginalizing the original creations, and not exploiting diversity for profit..? Wasn't Valkyrie already bisexual? We don't need (and shouldn't want) to define characters by these kinda of choice-less traits. Plenty of comic characters create relationships without that being their priority. It's stuff that does not need to be front-and-center in movies for people of all ages.

30 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It's stuff that does not need to be front-and-center in movies for people of all ages.

Not sure the MCU is necessarily for people of all ages. They are all rated PG-13 after all. And who said anything about romance (whether it's straight or gay) being front and center in any of these movies. Especially after Phase One, the MCU hardly focuses on it at all. Just because Tessa Thompson at SDCC said Valkyrie is going to look for a queen doesn't mean Thor 4's main plot point is going to be Valkyrie's quest for love.

Not sure the MCU is necessarily for people of all ages. They are all rated PG-13 after all. And who said anything about romance (whether it's straight or gay) being front and center in any of these movies. Especially after Phase One, the MCU hardly focuses on it at all. Just because Tessa Thompson at SDCC said Valkyrie is going to look for a queen doesn't mean Thor 4's main plot point is going to be Valkyrie's quest for love.

"Valkyrie wants to find her queen..." has been front-and-center since SDCC.

If you don't interpret "Love and Thunder", the sub-title for the movie, to convey that "love" is going to be a headliner... Well... I don't know how else to spin your compass...

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

"Valkyrie wants to find her queen..." has been front-and-center since SDCC.

Front and center in the media doesn't mean front and center in the movie.The "Love" in Thor: Love and Thunder can mean anything. But okay, if Kevin Feige andTaika Waititi decide they want to make Valkyrie (a supporting character) and her quest for love the central plot of Thor 4 and sideline Odinson and Jane Foster wielding Mjolnir, I might not enjoy the movie as much but would certainly enjoy observing all the narrow-minded fanboy heads-a-turning...

giphy.gif

Front and center in the media doesn't mean front and center in the movie.The "Love" in Thor: Love and Thunder can mean anything. But okay, if Kevin Feige andTaika Waititi decide they want to make Valkyrie (a supporting character) and her quest for love the central plot of Thor 4 and sideline Odinson and Jane Foster wielding Mjolnir, I might not enjoy the movie as much but would certainly enjoy observing all the narrow-minded fanboy heads-a-turning...

giphy.gif

:roflmao:

If you wanna be that shallow, sure. I wouldn't pretentiously call others narrow-minded when you can't see through a transparent subtitle. Have you been previously misled by other MCU subtitles..? Did you not think Ultron was going to be the big bad in Avengers 2..?

Also, I'm not sure how you're oblivious to this most-likely scenario: Foster is probably going to be her love interest.

This movie is looking bad, no matter how you want to spin it. When the "King" of Asgard wants her character to pursue a queen - I'm not fond of that. I can only hope that Waititi can not hop on the bandwagon, and actually direct another good Thor movie, however unlikely it may be.