• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This a Thing?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

So I picked up this Incredible Hulk 108 from a shop. It's beat up, so I don't have high expectations, but... what the heck is up with these staples? There are two normal staples along the spine, and then three small staples on the cover. You can see mini-Hulk dodging on that almost got his bum!

So... was this a thing? I know Marvel stapled extra-thick comics on the inside if they used the glued spine (for example: Giant Size Dracula). Was this factory or after-market? 

Hulk 108 Front TL.jpg

Hulk 108 Front.jpg

Hulk 108 Inside Cover Question.jpg

Just now, Lazyboy said:

No, that's a Hulk. The Thing is orange. (shrug)

Those extra staples were definitely added well after production.

Image result for why tho

The original staples are intact and doing well considering the condition of the book. Other than the one that almost got the Hulk-in-the-box, you can see from the inside that there were two more added to the spine, but have since disappeared, leaving the holes as evidence. 

Why? Because people did silly things like that for reasons known only to themselves. I've seen comics with tape all up and down the spine for no apparent reason. (shrug) And I'm not talking new tape, I'm talking tape that's been there for decades, applied to the comic when it was new.

I went to show one time back in the 80s or early 90s and a dealer had an original owner collection for sale. The OO had written a code on the cover of every comic, as some sort of cataloging system. Another time, I saw a collection in which every comic had been two-hole punched at the top of bottom. In some cases, it was only the cover but in other cases it was through the entire book, but not the cover.

There was even a nutjob on this very board several years ago who wondered why laminating your comics was bad. There is a current boardie who openly talks about taping his own comics.

People are weird. 

Edited by Jeffro™

those staples definitely look like they have been added after production you can see the difference in colour in them clearly. 

My best guess for weird people doing weird things is that the owner wanted to read the book more often and thought if they secured the book with more staples then the cover wont rip easily from the staples. Oh well to each there own. 

As others have said, it's extra added staples. As defects go, rather common actually. Kids added staples to make sure the cover stayed attached. Or because the cover was loose to reattach it. Or because they just bought a new stapler and were walking around the house stapling every piece of paper they could find....It was tough in the late 60's finding things to do for fun. No cable TV, no internet, one phone and it was on a cord :eek:. A new stapler provided hours of entertainment....

Were this book sent to CGC for grading, the label would note "extra staples added, not manufacturing". 

Given the overall condition of the book, I doubt the extra staples would have any effect on the assigned numeric grade. 

Edited by Tony S