• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like this Xmen 1 could use a press. Thoughts on possible before and after?

23 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

you really think its a 2.5? I mean the front cover looks really good and theres some rough spine breaks but I think its better than a 2.5 but thats your option so I really can't argue 

Tons of flaws as-is. Spine split, huge crease next to spine, etc.

I can't tell which flaws are transparently press-able or not, but, if this gets a 5.0 post-press I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

It's a nice looking book. Trying to understand the odd wrinkling on the "X" of the logo in particular. Is there water damage, or has the cover been reglossed?

As a general comment I'd be somewhat nervous that pressing would worsen the top spine split or detach the top staple. If you go for it make sure it's with a pro like Joey.

I'll second that. I would be very worried that a press would damage the spine even more. I think best case scenario you'd be looking at a .5 bump from a 3.0 or a 3.5. If you’re planning to sell I understand trying to maximize profit, but if it was mine and a keeper i would leave it as is.

16 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

As it sits right now, I'd say it would likely grade between 2.0 and 4.0...

CGC has made you weak. It pains me to see how far you have fallen. :(

I was thinking it as a 3.0 as is maybe you could get lucky after the press and see it as a 4.0 or higher but like most pointed out the spine split wear on the edges and heavy creasing with the damage near the staple I think would keep it out of the 5.0 or higher area IMO

likely authentic and likely 2.0-4.0 grade likely Blue label 

i'll accept 5$ in paypal payment lol 

i just saw at least 5 3.5 xmen 1s at torpedo con. all looked better than this book as far as spine issues go. i doubt a press would get this book past 3.0 imho.

i also would not risk it with a book this delicate looking. it will prob never be a 4.0so why risk it.

Edited by www.alexgross.com

1 minute ago, Mosstastic_22 said:

Thanks all for the feedback. I decided it's best to stay away. I wasn't aware of how much of a liability it could be for pressing books that are otherwise fragile. Guess I'll just wait to try and grab a slabbed one!

do you have anyone you can ask that works for cgc?

4 minutes ago, Mosstastic_22 said:

Ask what exactly? Either way, no I unfortunately don't. Not a big enough collector 

I mean If I was you I would take the chance and grade it and press it but ask around more first to make your choice a press can help it a ton in my eyes