Looks like this Xmen 1 could use a press. Thoughts on possible before and after?

23 posts in this topic

24 posts

It looks like a good candidate to be pressed, but not sure what to expect for grading with or without a press. Thoughts? 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

85 posts

I think a little pressing could help the book looks like a 4.5 luckily for you it does not look bad and its an xmen 1 so that's automatically good. 

85 posts
1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

2.5 IMO as is.

I suspect a 3.5/4.0 after press.

you really think its a 2.5? I mean the front cover looks really good and theres some rough spine breaks but I think its better than a 2.5 but thats your option so I really can't argue 

6,943 posts
2 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

you really think its a 2.5? I mean the front cover looks really good and theres some rough spine breaks but I think its better than a 2.5 but thats your option so I really can't argue 

Tons of flaws as-is. Spine split, huge crease next to spine, etc.

I can't tell which flaws are transparently press-able or not, but, if this gets a 5.0 post-press I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

882 posts

It looks like a 3.5 atm. Uncertain as to how much a press could improve it, maybe up to a 5 but it looks quite fragile, you'd need a very good presser to work on it to avoid doing more damage.

24,648 posts

It's a nice looking book. Trying to understand the odd wrinkling on the "X" of the logo in particular. Is there water damage, or has the cover been reglossed?

As a general comment I'd be somewhat nervous that pressing would worsen the top spine split or detach the top staple. If you go for it make sure it's with a pro like Joey.

16,332 posts

I'll second that. I would be very worried that a press would damage the spine even more. I think best case scenario you'd be looking at a .5 bump from a 3.0 or a 3.5. If you’re planning to sell I understand trying to maximize profit, but if it was mine and a keeper i would leave it as is.

2,756 posts
Posted (edited)

I agree 100% with everyone that has voiced their concern about pressing this book. I would absolutely consult a professional before moving forward with this idea...  :preach:

Edited by The Lions Den

2,756 posts

As it sits right now, I'd say it would likely grade between 2.0 and 4.0...

24,648 posts
16 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

As it sits right now, I'd say it would likely grade between 2.0 and 4.0...

CGC has made you weak. It pains me to see how far you have fallen. :(

1,353 posts

I was thinking it as a 3.0 as is maybe you could get lucky after the press and see it as a 4.0 or higher but like most pointed out the spine split wear on the edges and heavy creasing with the damage near the staple I think would keep it out of the 5.0 or higher area IMO

likely authentic and likely 2.0-4.0 grade likely Blue label 

i'll accept 5$ in paypal payment lol 

2,756 posts
1 hour ago, Point Five said:

CGC has made you weak. It pains me to see how far you have fallen. :(

Weak? NEVER!!!  lol           1222791149_lionroar(640x629).jpg.918e7a6c9bd8278ff4e8d98e3a001bee.jpg

2,756 posts

OK, no more kidding around...I'd be in the 3.0 - 3.5 range on this one...

912 posts
Posted (edited)

i just saw at least 5 3.5 xmen 1s at torpedo con. all looked better than this book as far as spine issues go. i doubt a press would get this book past 3.0 imho.

i also would not risk it with a book this delicate looking. it will prob never be a 4.0so why risk it.

Edited by www.alexgross.com

24 posts

Thanks all for the feedback. I decided it's best to stay away. I wasn't aware of how much of a liability it could be for pressing books that are otherwise fragile. Guess I'll just wait to try and grab a slabbed one!

85 posts
1 minute ago, Mosstastic_22 said:

Thanks all for the feedback. I decided it's best to stay away. I wasn't aware of how much of a liability it could be for pressing books that are otherwise fragile. Guess I'll just wait to try and grab a slabbed one!

do you have anyone you can ask that works for cgc?

24 posts
27 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

do you have anyone you can ask that works for cgc?

Ask what exactly? Either way, no I unfortunately don't. Not a big enough collector 

85 posts
4 minutes ago, Mosstastic_22 said:

Ask what exactly? Either way, no I unfortunately don't. Not a big enough collector 

I mean If I was you I would take the chance and grade it and press it but ask around more first to make your choice a press can help it a ton in my eyes

1,049 posts

I would be leery about pressing a book with hanging chads like that.  That being said the book is in decent shape and if you plan on slabbing it I would take the risk.