• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2019 - Original Art pics
1 1

413 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah it's way rougher than the published original, which has been at auction and looks 100x nicer and cleaner. 

I agree, it's not nearly as pretty. But it is finished to some degree i.e. inked. Makes you question the 9,000 price tag, and the "Vampirella #1" label that was put on it without any other caveats. Wonder if the dealer mistook it for the published original.

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I heard from someone that it was a done deal, but, another source said it was just "on hold" this past weekend.  Anyway, it seems to still be available now, as is the Steranko Cap DPS ($225K) which was also briefly reported as sold a couple of SDCCs ago (2017 I think), but, which turned out not to be the case as well.  

the kirby cap cover is a beaut.

anyone have a pic of the steranko DPS?

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah it's way rougher than the published original, which has been at auction and looks 100x nicer and cleaner. 

also thanks for not calling out that I completely missed the main idea of your original post, and had to arrive at it through way of putting my "foot in my mouth" a couple of times, Gene lol

~Keith

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Do people consider that cover artwork to be “good”?

I've got a nostalgic sweet spot for the published one. :) ... those Harris Vampirellas were my gateway drug into Warren Publishing and Creepy / Eerie... I can't not have a fondness for them for that reason.

and I don't particularly like the OA piece in the photo... i.e. the one that's off from the true cover. Vampi looks like she's been boozing... lol 

and it just feels off. and def don't like the price.

Edited by The Cimmerians Purse
adding ngucks

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Do people consider that cover artwork to be “good”?

C'mon Greg its like this:

- chick in a red swimsuit

- rendered by a guy known for drawing hot chicks

- and she's sucking on a thumb!    That could be your... you know!

= $$$$

(I like AH a lot but this is based on a piece pretty early in the career).

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

What is that AH Vampi? Prelim or commission? It's not the published piece, that's for sure; that one has been at auction before and looks far more polished. 

9500 strikes me as an idiotic price for that piece. 

It's an homage cover to his previous cover. This version was published yesterday.

b037182add785e347cfc41ad78ed1508.jpg

3 hours ago, Marxmadness07 said:

It's an homage cover to his previous cover. This version was published yesterday.

b037182add785e347cfc41ad78ed1508.jpg

Yummmmm... Not 9k yum, but yummm. Snagged my Artgerm Vampi for a teensy fraction.

P.S. Foreground >>> background.

Edited by exitmusicblue

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

C'mon Greg its like this:

- chick in a red swimsuit

- rendered by a guy known for drawing hot chicks

- and she's sucking on a thumb!    That could be your... you know!

= $$$$

(I like AH a lot but this is based on a piece pretty early in the career).

If this was one of his "hot chicks", I would say swing and a miss.  The image is so simplistic and the proportions are pretty off.  I think most of the  Betty and Veronica images are "hotter" but I like John Buscema so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  lol