• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2019 - Original Art pics
1 1

413 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:
6 hours ago, tth2 said:

They must be raising cash from somewhere to fly out to SD with their stock, rent their space, pay for their hotel, etc.

I was under the impression from previous threads that they were the consignors of the $600k “Master Race” art? If so, they’ve been using that money to outbid smaller collectors for smaller items so they can jack up the prices. (I’ve been the only concerned/incensed about this) Also, gives them more room for these expenses. 

So they only make sales through third-party auction sites, and very few people ever buy directly from them at their inflated prices?

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

They must be raising cash from somewhere to fly out to SD with their stock, rent their space, pay for their hotel, etc.

Of course. What does that have to do with art for cash? That's exactly nobody's sole source of income.

15 hours ago, vodou said:

The particular dealer in question, or their Brother, well it just doesn't matter. Nobody is paying their prices anyway.

Seriously, show of hands: who's pulled out cash and bought from The Brothers? Not your inflated trade for theirs, no, I mean actual hard cash. Who?

Nobody.

I tried for 2 years in a row in the 90s to actually get them to quote me a price on an item they had at SD. Never got a price, came back the 3rd year and they had sold it to Mankuta for (reportedly) a lot less than I was willing to pay at the time.

2 hours ago, vodou said:
9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Of course. What does that have to do with art for cash? That's exactly nobody's sole source of income.

So you're saying that their art "business" is just a hobby that they subsidize with their regular job income?  Because if they don't make enough cash from their art business to sustain itself, that's exactly what it is.  Albeit an expensive hobby because traveling around with one's hobby collectibles and renting space at SD just to show off ain't cheap.

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

So you're saying that their art "business" is just a hobby that they subsidize with their regular job income?  Because if they don't make enough cash from their art business to sustain itself, that's exactly what it is.  Albeit an expensive hobby because traveling around with one's hobby collectibles and renting space at SD just to show off ain't cheap.

It certainly used to be exactly that. I don't know what the situation is today, the obvious public sales are more recent, likely an indication that other sources of finance have been given up or dried up. Everybody gets tired and old. Meanwhile it is very nice to do just enough business activity (profitable or not) to justify taking all sorts of deductions against other income ;)

I’m head scratching here. I thought it was public knowledge, or publicly discussed here that they own a printing business, hence all the stats on their art. So the art stuff is secondary income, although as I stated, I thought they are the ones who sold “Master Race,” so wouldn’t a $600k give them wiggle room to take “losses” nowadays?

They live in Northern California, near Sacramento, so traveling to San Diego is pretty affordable. Even with high booth fees and think they can at least recoup with a few sales. What I’m blabbering on about is that they don’t need to sell art to survive and they make more sales then we think they do. I know (black hole) collectors who have bought from them at shows. Coolines will give you a price break for multiple pieces which makes it easier to digest. And :gasp: they are also friendly. 

5 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I met Bruce Timm and he was the best. He had a sign up sheet for $200 sketches and $20 for quick "crappy" sketches lol. The gist of it was this: Put your name down with the character you want Bruce to draw. If, and I mean if he felt "moved" to draw your request he would circle your name on the list. You had to check back before the end of the day to see if he drew your request. If it was there you paid him $200 and left happy. Most people came back and were sad to not see art waiting for them. The key was reading and 99% made requests without reading. So I led the witness a bit. "Bruce, if I was to ask you to draw a character and you wee like, ( Oh please, please don't ask me to do that again) what would that character be?" Deadpan response: "There are many" "Specifically anything to do with Batman, H a r l e y...." Ha Ha perfect. great sense of humor I thanked him for all the great art over his career and we shook hands.

When Albert Moy opened Timm's commission list last month in advance of SDCC I jumped on it immediately and asked for Clea. I got denied! I had been waiting some time to get a shot at Timm and am sad that is didn't happen. For the $1800 pricetag I guess I could have flown out to SDCC and begged Bruce for it instead!

Edited by Bird

2 hours ago, Bird said:

When Albert Moy opened Timm's commission list last month in advance of SDCC I jumped on it immediately and asked for Clea. I got denied! I had been waiting some time to get a shot at Timm and am sad that is didn't happen. For the $1800 pricetag I guess I could have flown out to SDCC and begged Bruce for it instead!

I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Mike Mignola was my heart break. I asked for Dr. Doom at the Wonder Con a few years back. He wouldn't budge. I asked him to name his price. It was dead. No excuses. he just wouldn't do it. 

12 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Mike Mignola was my heart break. I asked for Dr. Doom at the Wonder Con a few years back. He wouldn't budge. I asked him to name his price. It was dead. No excuses. he just wouldn't do it. 

I wonder why?
he drew the character in the past
is not like he is not familiar with it...

(shrug)

1 hour ago, MagnusX said:

I wonder why?

(shrug)

he doesnt really need the money at this point. he spent the last 25 years drawing stuff he made up. pretty sure he clearly prefers his own ideas than drawing characters that people request. the last few years hes really into watercolor painting, like that amazing hellboy piece that sold on HA recently. and he really loves victorian gothic imagery, if that wasnt already ridiculously obvious. 

GrapeApe, love the Thing pin-up!

Not so sure about the Thor piece, tho. Great stuff, though! I went to the con in 2010, and saw more OA than I have before or since, combined! Have fun!

2 hours ago, awayne83 said:

Inker Richard Friend was live streaming on YouTube some the last couple days. Jump to 15 min mark for some of Albert's booth followed by some Coipel pages at Kwan's

link

Nice link to the show!  David

9 hours ago, MagnusX said:

I wonder why?

(shrug)

Yeah it just seemed like he was "over" it. Triumph and Torment one of my all time favorite stories(and art). I respect him still and maybe I'll try again should we meet again.