• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2019 - Original Art pics
1 1

413 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

Agreed.  Of all the A-list actors that have been featured in the Marvel films, she was by far the weakest.

I think Robert Redford is pretty weak in the MCU, very stiff and one-note. And I love the guy as an actor be phoned those in for sure.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, Bird said:

When Albert Moy opened Timm's commission list last month in advance of SDCC I jumped on it immediately and asked for Clea. I got denied! I had been waiting some time to get a shot at Timm and am sad that is didn't happen. For the $1800 pricetag I guess I could have flown out to SDCC and begged Bruce for it instead!

Damn,

did Albert let you suggest multiple characters for Bruce to pick from ?  Or was it a flat NO

6 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I was wondering if the pricing at SDCC seemed specially priced high for the con, or reflects a market disconnect generally? Are perhaps dealers are unwilling to lower their prices because it will reduce the value of their inventory, perhaps to avoid a problem with loan security?  

All I know is I updated all my pricing :banana:

10 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Ya but picking Natalie Portman to lead it is the stupid part. She didn't seem to like being in the Tor films and wasn't that great as Jane. Myself and many others thought her Jane was one of the weakest parts of the films.

Marvel hasn't recast any of the actors whose faces can be seen have they, beyond Edward Norton demanding too much control and then walking off when he didn't get it? There hasn't been a Bewitched "York/Sergeant" incident with them has there? 

Saying it's stupid because she hasn't been great in the part is a possibility to be sure, but you mentioned "Thor Sex Change Movie Starring Natalie Portman" with repercussions for the person making the decision beyond simply being derided for it. It sounded more like the problem with fans might be the Jane Foster as Thor part of the equation and not simply who is cast in the part. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Marvel hasn't recast any of the actors whose faces can be seen have they, beyond Edward Norton demanding too much control and then walking off when he didn't get it? There hasn't been a Bewitched "York/Sergeant" incident with them has there? 

Saying it's stupid because she hasn't been great in the part is a possibility to be sure, but you mentioned "Thor Sex Change Movie Starring Natalie Portman" with repercussions for the person making the decision beyond simply being derided for it. It sounded more like the problem with fans might be the Jane Foster as Thor part of the equation and not simply who is cast in the part. 

War Machine, Terence Howard to Cheadle.

5 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Brie Larson anyone?

I've seen her in a half dozen films...."weak" is the last adjective I'd use to describe her acting ability. 

1 minute ago, Bird said:

War Machine, Terence Howard to Cheadle.

Good catch, another off-screen dispute leading to a recast. 

Terrence Howard had the highest salary of any actor in the first Iron Man film. Higher than Bridges, higher than Downey jr., higher than Paltrow. 

I think they loved his work, but he wouldn't take a pay cut (he had a contract so I don't blame him) and watched Downey Jr. get a massive raise. 

So it wasn't a "you stink, get out" moment. 

1 hour ago, igotnogame said:

Wasn't able to attend this year unfortunately, but it didn't stop me from being able to complete a collecting goal of getting Dave McKean to do portraits of the Endless.  Despair was the last one I needed and had him revisit Delerium as well.  Couldn't be happier with the results.  Hopefully will be back in 2020 if I can land a pass.

Thanks to everyone who posted updates.

0gnKbe8M_1807191050181gpadd.jpg

O0I8M7xs_2307190944121gpadd.jpg

Fantastic! Congrats. Can you link to the others? 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

I've seen her in a half dozen films...."weak" is the last adjective I'd use to describe her acting ability. 

Then she must have had an off-movie with Captain Marvel because she was flat out bad in that.  Seemed as if she was just mailing it in and collecting the big fat check afterwards.

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Astalkersayswhat? :fear:

Or....I've seen her in less films than you have Roger Moore posters on your wall. :nyah:

On 7/18/2019 at 5:20 PM, glendgold said:

I got to go on a scavenger hunt with a friend who will later display some interesting stuff. Here's a photocopy of a previously-unseen Kirby.

IMG_7855.jpg

Is it later yet? We'd like to see more.

3 hours ago, igotnogame said:

Wasn't able to attend this year unfortunately, but it didn't stop me from being able to complete a collecting goal of getting Dave McKean to do portraits of the Endless.  Despair was the last one I needed and had him revisit Delerium as well.  Couldn't be happier with the results.  Hopefully will be back in 2020 if I can land a pass.

Thanks to everyone who posted updates.

0gnKbe8M_1807191050181gpadd.jpg

O0I8M7xs_2307190944121gpadd.jpg

Grotesque Immense discarded isolated disturbed...........hypnotic.....dark........lovely

16 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I was wondering if the pricing at SDCC seemed specially priced high for the con, or reflects a market disconnect generally? Are perhaps dealers are unwilling to lower their prices because it will reduce the value of their inventory, perhaps to avoid a problem with loan security?  

Some dealers are choking this market by hoarding and playing no listed price games. Best way to buy is to make a deal privately (but factor market data that is out there) or auction with a company that respects you. You have to push...make HA or any other auctioneer earn their commission when you're selling. When you buy don't spend F U money unless it's for your private collection.

I saw mountains of art with no prices. Sad. Very few pieces deserve the inquire B S. Used to be that would be for something extraordinary like the ASM 299 cover mentioned in the thread. Now it's for interior pages with moderate content on the page?

Let the market work please dealers. Mike B is one of the best because he always lists prices. Now there are times where Mike leaves meat on the bone for the buyer and there are times where he eats all the left overs. His model is sound however as collectors paying attention can gauge what Mike is doing price wise and over time can make a little bit if they want/have to sell. Mike influences the market but he also keeps art moving through the pipeline. It's good for market health.

Then there are those that choke the market...I won't name the dealer but a splash page listed for 24k on his site a few years back never sold. I was surprised to see it at the Con because he had taken it down from the site. How much? I asked.  85k was the dead pan response.

So there are a few who play a game: buy it now or get punished down the road. They simply have a crazed notion that the piece they have listed and unsold for years is "flying up in price." They continue to move the price up. I say let the market decide on some of this inventory so we can have a healthy collector market into the  future. It's bottle necking the inventory. We're going to wind up with a ton of over priced material that will crash down on most collectors. Those that came in late will have to figure out how they were left holding the bag. It's like buying a $300k house in Southern California for $600k because that's what everybody is asking. Eventually it's a long way down and should you have to sell,,,,,ouch.

Grapeape:   I think that’s just a sign of dealers having less and less inventory that they bought when they had access to the artists or while prices were still cheap.   As more and more of their inventory is bought at FMV at auction, double+ FMV asks become more and more the norm.  Not to say that anyone will pay that necessarily but they are going to be more choosy about which sales they take because they have more sunk into it.    When they say “I’ll happily take it home” what they are saying is “I’d rather take it home than get no return. I’ll wait for the perfect buyer.”

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Grapeape:   I think that’s just a sign of dealers having less and less inventory that they bought when they had access to the artists or while prices were still cheap.   As more and more of their inventory is bought at FMV at auction, double+ FMV asks become more and more the norm.  Not to say that anyone will pay that necessarily but they are going to be more choosy about which sales they take because they have more sunk into it.    When they say “I’ll happily take it home” what they are saying is “I’d rather take it home than get no return. I’ll wait for the perfect buyer.”

One other aspect to consider that is peculiar to OA is that OA inventory takes really little space compared to fine art.  10 portfolios can easily carry 2-5M USD worth of inventory and you can store them behind your sofa.  Also easy to carry around from one show to the next.  That might be a factor in incentivising a highly speculative pricing strategy, of course subject to the financial sustainability of the strategy.  But, then again, many (all?) dealers are also collectors...