• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trading Comic Art
1 1

8 posts in this topic

So I was wondering how members go about trading art. Not interested in value but more of the transaction process. I know that we all have our own way but wanted to see how others go about it. For example:

1. Do you both agree on shipping method and time frame for shipping, then ship at the same time?

2. Does one person send first then the other sends after receipt of art?

3. Does the person overseas send first to US or vice versa?

4. Do you send money to escrow to cover the pieces then get your money back when transaction complete?

I’ve done different ways and usually based on different factors such as previous transactions with other person or if they are located outside the US. 

Thanks

I've helped middle some deals for friends who didn't know each other, and then send art along when it was good to do so.  So kinda of number 4 in that case.

Personally though, it's normally sending at the same time but that's when I know, or know of the person I'm dealing with.  I just this week completed a trade like that but the collector was already in the process of a time-payment plan for art from my site so I felt very good/comfortable about our deal!

You just have to trust, after doing some research of course. I think my first trade was with Federico overseas and we both just sent the art at the same time. I have done trades since then and always shipped at the same time as the other person.

7 hours ago, Bird said:

You just have to trust, after doing some research of course. I think my first trade was with Federico overseas and we both just sent the art at the same time. I have done trades since then and always shipped at the same time as the other person.

I'll finish that for you :)

"with each providing shipping/tracking info to the other"

My very first trade was with an Australian collector and I trusted him and it paid off. That was 20 years ago and I wouldn't do that again (not meaning him, just with anyone overseas). It's not that I don't trust the other collector, it's that I don't trust the agents who handle the art while it's in transit.

But, I trade with dealers and well-known collectors quite frequently and have always had great results. I enjoy a good trade. The back and forth is fun and it's even more fun when a good deal comes together on both ends.

14 hours ago, Dayzen said:

Thanks for everyone replying. How about this. If money is involved in a trade, does the person receiving the money, send first? I would lean toward yes. Thoughts 

Send it by Paypal, but not with the free "friends and family" option, to get you a little protection from fraud.