• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can we learn from the Mona Lisa?

34 posts in this topic

We've had a lot of discussions about the ideal environment for storing comics. I was reading the news this morning and found out this little tidbit about the Mona Lisa, which is currently being relocated due to room renovation. 

Cliffnotes:

1. The canvas was a thin panel of poplar wood. 

2. "The Mona Lisa" is kept at a constant temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit and a hydrometry of 50%.

also paint material would react and age differently than inks and paper. if you want to look at historical preservation and want to get some points of storage and conditions it might help to research on how museums store historical documents. But if you think about these pieces of paper surviving with ink not sure what the pigments where used at the time for 1000's of years in a cave I think it would take a really long time and very poor storage conditions to really break down the comic till its dust. 

But cool and dry with a specific humidity is probably the key

23 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

also paint material would react and age differently than inks and paper. if you want to look at historical preservation and want to get some points of storage and conditions it might help to research on how museums store historical documents. But if you think about these pieces of paper surviving with ink not sure what the pigments where used at the time for 1000's of years in a cave I think it would take a really long time and very poor storage conditions to really break down the comic till its dust. 

But cool and dry with a specific humidity is probably the key

I have done extensive research on storage conditions. All of my findings and sources (including government, museum, and conservatories) were reported years ago here on the boards. 

I am well aware of the differences between the mediums.  

I just found it interesting that the Mona Lisa is stored in conditions mirroring those of an ideal environment for comic books. 

44 minutes ago, newshane said:

I have done extensive research on storage conditions. All of my findings and sources (including government, museum, and conservatories) were reported years ago here on the boards. 

I am well aware of the differences between the mediums.  

I just found it interesting that the Mona Lisa is stored in conditions mirroring those of an ideal environment for comic books. 

do u have a link to that old forum u could post here? I would love to read it.

5 minutes ago, jcjames said:

To make it even better, the frame of the Mona Lisa needs to have a smaller more modern drawing of the Mona Lisa across the top. (thumbsu

better yet they need to CGC grade and slab that I think it should get the GEM grade though :whee:

9 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

do u have a link to that old forum u could post here? I would love to read it.

Sure man! 

Enjoy! :foryou:

CLICK HERE

I wish the mods would "sticky" the thread, but no dice. 

Here is an excerpt from my post:

The serious collector should store his or her collection in a room where the temperature and humidity are under strict control. Experts recommend temps no higher than 70 degrees (F) and a humidity between 30-60%, with the low-end of the range being preferable. 

- SOURCE - Northeast Document Conservation Center

35 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

5EF5B2CC-B4FD-40F5-99D7-8E1623FA8A09.jpeg

I was expecting a bit more contouring, maybe a insta filter like dog ears or cat faces