• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OPG 49th edition - Ho Hum etc
2 2

42 posts in this topic

At first glance ... looks like the same old same old.  The values for the vast majority of GA titles are woefully low relative to actual FMV.  Not at all surprising but disappointing nonetheless.  

One day ... they may make a better effort to capture actual values... or maybe someone will come out with a price guide that does a better job.

Batman #1 finally passes All-American #16, Phantom Lady #17 moves up into the top 100 (But is still listed at about 30-40% of what it's really worth)... nothing else much noteworthy that I see...

34 minutes ago, szav said:

At first glance ... looks like the same old same old.  The values for the vast majority of GA titles are woefully low relative to actual FMV.  Not at all surprising but disappointing nonetheless.  

One day ... they may make a better effort to capture actual values... or maybe someone will come out with a price guide that does a better job.

Batman #1 finally passes All-American #16, Phantom Lady #17 moves up into the top 100 (But is still listed at about 30-40% of what it's really worth)... nothing else much noteworthy that I see...

No surprise about values being out of touch.  Even though I buy a HC every year, they stay shrinkwrapped since I don't want to break my streak since I started with #4.

Which cover did you get?

1 minute ago, telerites said:

No surprise about values being out of touch.  Even though I buy a HC every year, they stay shrinkwrapped since I don't want to break my streak since I started with #4.

Which cover did you get?

None of the covers really spoke to me... went with the Joker one.  

I liked Firefly and Serenity but how did that one  make sense on the OPG cover?

Just now, szav said:

None of the covers really spoke to me... went with the Joker one.  

I am going with Zorro.  Love Firefly and the Serenity movie but yeah it doesn't resonate with me on the cover.  Wonder how much Fillion and the others are making from the use of their likeness on the cover. 

I for years have paid very little attention to guide prices. Any guide prices no matter what the subject. I use it for reference. No better book in the hobby for that. 

In all fairness, I can’t keep up with prices anymore. PCH, Baker, Cole and hot covers seem to go up faster than a speeding bullet. This months high price is a bargain in a couple of months. How can we expect a once a year “guide” (and the keyword is “guide”), keep up with this madness?

And Batman #1 just passed All American #16? I figured it already did. Green Lantern in the GA is a pretty dead character these days...

Edited by Robot Man

18 minutes ago, AJD said:

You guys do know that Dark Horse have published many Serenity comics with those character likenesses, right?

https://www.comics.org/searchNew/?q=serenity

I did not but it still feels like a really obscure choice.  I wonder is there some kind of reboot coming, and if whoever owns the intellectual property rights to Firefly paid to get it out on the OPG cover... 

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I for years have paid very little attention to guide prices. Any guide prices no matter what the subject. I use it for reference. No better book in the hobby for that. 

In all fairness, I can’t keep up with prices anymore. PCH, Baker, Cole and hot covers seem to go up faster than a speeding bullet. This months high price is a bargain in a couple of months. How can we expect a once a year “guide” (and the keyword is “guide”), keep up with this madness?

Dunno a year in between each one is an awful long time for even one person to say... look at GPA and notice they’re off by 5000-10,000% on a great deal of books.

Its a mammoth task and I don’t expect them to hit the nail on the head for everything... but I think they should strive for ballpark accuracy and they clearly do not.

I think it’s past time for a better guide.

6 hours ago, szav said:

At first glance ... looks like the same old same old.  The values for the vast majority of GA titles are woefully low relative to actual FMV.  

... nothing else much noteworthy that I see...

So, are you really trying to tell me that a 43% increase for MPFW #1 to take top percentage gainer as it went from $42K up to $60K is still woefully low.  Seriously though, did they even have any reported sales for this book last year as an increase of this magnitude seems kind of  :screwy: relative to all of the other < 5% increase he had for almost all of the books on his Top 100 Chart. O.o

What's actually kind of unOverstreet like is his sizeable 41% reduction in the Uncle Scrooge #179 variant as he dropped it from $1,600 all the way down to only $950 in his Top 25 BA Chart.  :whatthe:

I've always sort of considered Detective #225 to be a key SA book, so found it kind of surprising that it showed up on his Top 100 GA chart.  (shrug)

7 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:
6 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

AA16 slipping to #5.  Surprised it actually happened in print. 

Same here.  

Definitely agree with both of you here.  (thumbsu

Still waiting for Cap 3 to move ahead of Cap 2.  Looks like Overstreet almost did it this year, but appears to be pretty much of a sure thing for next year.  Even if he finally gets around to doing it, it was a real no-brainer and really should have been done about 10 years ago.  doh!  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Still waiting for Cap 3 to move ahead of Cap 2.  Looks like Overstreet almost did it this year, but appears to be pretty much of a sure thing for next year.  Even if he finally gets around to doing it, it was a real no-brainer and really should have been done about 10 years ago.  doh!  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

+ 1.  

Cap 3 remains a 5 to 6 times Guide book.  Time for an adjustment.

First Stan Lee work is what does it for me, and what will give this book legs into the future.  The new Overstreet is full of tributes to the man, and deservedly so. Yes, its a Schomburg cover, but it doesn’t really look like it to me(IMHO Schomburg doesn’t really hit his stride until the 20s and 30s). And  yes, its the first Red Skull cover, but I don’t really care about that either.

Stan Lee was just some kid that pestered Simon & Kirby for a job to the point where they said “Ok kid. Enough already! Let’s see if you can write a story worth putting in our book”. Well, he did, he got the job, and the rest is history. Our history. 

I think first Stan Lee work in #3 trumps Hitler cover on #2.  And yes, I truly find offputting the way Cap is drawn in Cap #2(Hey, don’t get me wrong:  I would love to add a Cap 2 to my collection, however!)

TMI? Rant over. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Cap 3 is a perfect example of why I can't easily forgive OPGs dreadful inaccuracy when it comes to GA books.  The most common excuses I see offered are it's hard to keep up with such a large and fast paced market...or they're reluctant to boost the values on rare books for which there are very few publicly reported sales historically.

Well you've got about a decade's worth of easily retrievable reliable data on Cap 2 vs 3 showing which one is worth 4 times the other, and yet there they are still listed with basically the same value.

...At this point OPGs inaccuracy can really only be explained as a conscious, stubborn, and puzzling refusal to accept reality.  Only 2 groups of people I can think of benefit from it... dealers/individuals who want to low ball naïve people selling comics and collections, and people who want to submit books to CGC in less expensive tiers...

Maybe I just need to stop buying the damn thing.  It used to be a fun read, but now every time I buy it I look through and get annoyed by it.  It shouldn't be that difficult to do a much better job with it.

People still pay attention to the OSPG? It's completely irrelevant for golden age. At this point I think it does an actual disservice to the hobby by spreading objectively, demonstrably false pricing data. I mean, this HAS to be on purpose. It's really not that hard to find clear pricing trends on a lot of the books they miss. 

Like someone else said, it's garbage and people need to stop supporting it. 

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Cap 3 has been triple cap2 for years and years. We don’t need ospg to tell us that :)

17 hours ago, szav said:

Guess one could always get the 'Firefly' OPG signed by their former cast (Jewel Staite, Tudyk, etc.) members, as they are still on tour at various comicons.

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you really trying to tell me that a 43% increase for MPFW #1 to take top percentage gainer as it went from $42K up to $60K is still woefully low.  Seriously though, did they even have any reported sales for this book last year as an increase of this magnitude seems kind of  :screwy: relative to all of the other < 5% increase he had for almost all of the books on his Top 100 Chart. O.o

What's actually kind of unOverstreet like is his sizeable 41% reduction in the Uncle Scrooge #179 variant as he dropped it from $1,600 all the way down to only $950 in his Top 25 BA Chart.  :whatthe:

I've always sort of considered Detective #225 to be a key SA book, so found it kind of surprising that it showed up on his Top 100 GA chart.  (shrug)

That is unOverstreet for sure. Still, #179 has been dropping like a stone as it seems almost all of the copies printed have now been professionally graded. :roflmao: