• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s ARMOR WARS show (TBD)
1 1

63 posts in this topic

Fresh off of the announcement of Thor 4 yesterday, MediaByte has learned that another long-standing Marvel Cinematic Universe character will be continuing their journey after the events of Avengers: Endgame. Sources tell us that Don Cheadle’s War Machine will be receiving his own television series on Disney+. Currently, the series is in early development while Marvel Studios continues its work on the first five series coming to the streaming service.

Similarly to the other announced Marvel Disney+ series, there are very few details about the time period or cast. Don Cheadle is expected to return as the titular character.

Disney+ was announced in November 2018 and since then a slew of new projects have been revealed for the service. In Marvel’s case, five new series, four of which directly tie into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These four live-action series revolve around popular MCU characters Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye, and Scarlet Witch and Vision. The fifth series will be animated and titled What If? and will focus on twisted versions of events from the Marvel Cinematic Universe but will not be considered canon in conjunction with the films. One story the series is planning to adapt is What If? Vol.1 #47, which explored the idea of “What if Loki had found the hammer of Thor?”

Marvel President Kevin Feige spoke to Variety in April about the streaming service and its series. Feige had this to say about the series on Disney+,

“These episodes will intersect with the movies in a very big way,” explains Feige. “It’s a totally new form of storytelling that we get to play with and explore.” “It’s the first long-form narrative that Marvel Studios has done — they’ll be six episodes, eight episodes, ten episodes, with the actors from the films playing their characters,” he said. “They’ll be changing, evolving, growing in those event series and then those changes will be reflected in their next film appearances.”

16 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Are they just throwing all of the legacy characters into TV shows, now..? Serious overkill.

Supposedly they are six-episode shows. So I wonder how much story can be told.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

So, basically, a couple movies worth? (Guessing 45 min. episodes.)

That's not overkill, then. Maybe. Idk.

Almost like advertisements for the films so each character is top-of-mind for fans.

30 minutes ago, Ares said:

Do you think Disney will use name WAR in the title

'Civil War' probably cleared the way for it. Though maybe they only play the episodes between 10 PM to 5 AM. Can't disturb the little ones. :nyah:

Maybe James Rhodes Disney+ mini-series will be "Ironheart" that's been rumored lately. Maybe that's how they introduce Riri Williams? Relatives, maybe? It seems like the Black Widow movie and the Hawkeye mini-series will introduce younger versions of the legacy characters. Maybe a James Rhodes mini-series will do the same.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Maybe James Rhodes Disney+ mini-series will be "Ironheart" that's been rumored lately. Maybe that's how they introduce Riri Williams? Relatives, maybe? It seems like the Black Widow movie and the Hawkeye mini-series will introduce younger versions of the legacy characters. Maybe a James Rhodes mini-series will do the same.

Put that way, I'd be way more interested.  The Black Widow movie does absolutely nothing for me but Ironheart on the other hand...

17 hours ago, sagekilz said:

Put that way, I'd be way more interested.  The Black Widow movie does absolutely nothing for me but Ironheart on the other hand...

Maybe that’s a reach, but Rhodes, along with Pepper, Happy, and Peter are the current MCU gatekeepers of Stark tech. If Ironheart is happening, she’ll have to interact in one way or another with them. Bringing back RDJ down the road as an AI like in the comics would be awesome, too. Maybe his voice wouldn’t cost so much...

9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

This sounds compelling.  Anyone know if there's a comic story this might derive from?

Internet sarcasm is sometimes hard to read, but if that's not the case and you're serious the storyline is literally called Armor Wars and appears from Iron Man #225-231

27 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

the storyline is literally called Armor Wars and appears from Iron Man #225-231

I quit Iron Man years before that story so I just had no idea.  Thanks for the issue reference, I'll probably read the run before the series!  (thumbsu