• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the highest graded Marvel Comics #1?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

So what's the highest graded Marvel Comics #1 and who owns it? I'd also be curious as to how often one of these comes up for sale. It can't be that often considering its rarity.

Back in the late 70s, it held the top spot in Overstreet's price guide - $10,000! Wow!

Edited by Getoutandstayout

According to the census, there are three at 9.0 (universals) with one PLOD at 9.0 and two PLODs at 9.4.  Total of 61 graded (28 blues and 33 PLODs) - but that doesn't take into account resubs where the label was not returned so could be some duplication in the numbers.

As far as who owns them, I thought Veryzl had one of the highest but not sure if it was graded and whether it stayed with his family or was sold (that is assuming I am correct of a Veryzl copy).  Many others like Gator would know far better than I.

10 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Did Veryzl have the highest grade and maybe best Timely collection?

Well, I would have to say so since he has virtually all of the Church Timely books, save for the odd ones such as Cap 1 since it had some slight work done to it.  :gossip:

More than made up by the fact that he's got the Allentown copy of Cap 1, which like 'Tec 27, is better than the Church copy.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I'd love to know what's the highest graded OCTOBER copy and what's the highest graded NOVEMBER copy.

The nic cage oct copy is a 5.0 iirc

and I seem to recall a 6.0 oct being auctioned by comicconnect. 

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

Does D.A., D.D.S. own a high grade Marvel #1?

He used to own the Denver, but sold it and his nice Cap several years ago, most speculate he hasn't replaced them.

I think outside DC, his big three HG keys would be the Church copies of Whiz 1, Archie 1, and Pep 22.

18 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

He used to own the Denver, but sold it and his nice Cap several years ago, most speculate he hasn't replaced them.

I think outside DC, his big three HG keys would be the Church copies of Whiz 1, Archie 1, and Pep 22.

I was just trying to think who would have a 9.0 or better Marvel 1 lying around other than Mr. Verzyl.

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I would have to say so since he has virtually all of the Church Timely books, save for the odd ones such as Cap 1 since it had some slight work done to it.  :gossip:

More than made up by the fact that he's got the Allentown copy of Cap 1, which like 'Tec 27, is better than the Church copy.  (thumbsu

Verzyl's MC1 (MH)

MM1(MileHigh-Church).jpg

3 hours ago, Timely said:

Here's my Mile High copy of Marvel Mystery Comics #89. It's only 88 issues later!

I think that should be the next thread he starts: Who owns the most perfect Marvel Mystery #89?