• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The NEW Overstreet 2019 w/TOP Golden Age Horror/Romance/Sci-Fi is Here
4 4

86 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

I'm surprised you of all people didn't notice the most egregious snub.  How is Startling 49 not on that list???

Ah my data collection was faulty cause I was just using a list of past sales. 

And NO ONE sells Starting 49! Especially not in high grade!

Ok Here’s My personal opinion of most valuable/Best investment sci-fi books (next 15 years) with 50k to invest lol mostly low graders I guess

1.    Planet Comics 1

2.    Startling comics #49

3.    Fantastic comics #3

4.     Blue Bolt #105

5   Captain Flight Comics #11

6.    Contact Comics #12

7.    Out of this World #1

8.    Weird Science #14

9.    Superworld Comics #1

10.   Famous Funnies #213

11.  Amazing Adventures #4

Bonus : Batman #59 (space cover) , Weird Science Fantasy #29

5 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

I'm surprised you of all people didn't notice the most egregious snub.  How is Startling 49 not on that list???

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Fantastic Comics 3 is another book noticeably missing.

I agree on these two books. Though to me their covers have always felt more like "robot" covers than "sci-fi" covers.

Maybe Overstreet should launch a Top 10 Robot Comics list. :whee:

Or not.

6 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Meanwhile the Planet values barely twitched in the new Guide. I guess they must be pretty dead, right?

Those prices should be outta this world.  Unfortunately, the run of high grade Planets sold awhile back may have had the unintended effect of depressing the market.  That’s my best guess.  hm

7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Those prices should be outta this world.  Unfortunately, the run of high grade Planets sold awhile back may have had the unintended effect of depressing the market.  That’s my best guess.  hm

One man's 'mean reversion', is another man's 'negatively divergent higher'.

Simply put, the market will recover and go higher.

3 hours ago, tabcom said:

One man's 'mean reversion', is another man's 'negatively divergent higher'.

Simply put, the market will recover and go higher.

First of all, that’s funny.

Second of all, I guess you and Cat are saying that a large portion of the Planet collectors shot their wad chasing the Church copies, creating a momentary vacuum in the Planet chase. But once coffers get built back up again, the Planet market will return to its old levels of madness.

I ended up with the Church 58, and have failed to notice any drop off in the bidding frenzy

11 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Not sure we’re watching the same game, or if you're being sarcastic, it’s sometimes hard tell with you hah... actual real prices for Planet comics in all grades have shot skyward since the Church auction.

That high profile auction clearly brought new people into the market.  The OSPG  clearly missed this, giving everything in the run only  a tiny bump to keep up with inflation.

54 minutes ago, szav said:

Not sure we’re watching the same game, or if you're being sarcastic, it’s sometimes hard tell with you hah... actual real prices for Planet comics in all grades have shot skyward since the Church auction.

That high profile auction clearly brought new people into the market.  The OSPG  clearly missed this, giving everything in the run only  a tiny bump to keep up with inflation.

I suspect news of the Planet Church sale arrived too late for inclusion. Planet is one of hundreds of titles for them to be concerned about.

When are dealer reports due in to Overstreer?

32 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I suspect news of the Planet Church sale arrived too late for inclusion. Planet is one of hundreds of titles for them to be concerned about.

When are dealer reports due in to Overstreer?

Probably, but there’s a prior upward trajectory for the past 3-4 years on Planets that has been ignored by OSPG as well.

1 hour ago, szav said:

Sarcasm is an art not always appreciated.  You’re right of course that Planet interest has surged recently and seems to have brought new players to the market.  That said, mid-range non-pedigree Planets haven’t climbed as aggressively as the Church run since the auction, perhaps because Fiction House books are notorious for color fading and appearance is critical for this very art-centric “babes & blasters” series of books.  

OSG tends to reflect a more conservative, longer term perspective of the market.  It will take another year or so to see whether Planet values are flat or stabilize and long term interest can be maintained.  If there is “a rising tide” and higher price points are sustainable then your point has been made.  

:tink:

I have to think, so we really want the guide to be accurate? I get the books you love getting a bump, but no hope of an an underguide buy? Historically , whenever guide has caught up, issues tanked, no more “deals” means Depreciation.

1 hour ago, szav said:

Probably, but there’s a prior upward trajectory for the past 3-4 years on Planets that has been ignored by OSPG as well.

I remember when Cheetah bough the Denver Planet #1 (9.4).  I drooled over it as it sat on I think Metro's site? I don't think the GPA sale is when he bought it but maybe so.  I think he sold here when he liquidated but again I am unsure on that.  Looking back, it was such a bargain but hindsight is 20/20.