• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The NEW Overstreet 2019 w/TOP Golden Age Horror/Romance/Sci-Fi is Here
4 4

86 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

that's amazing! thank you so much for sharing!

Planet comics had 13 out of the top 19 spots! That's how it should be today haha add issue #70! as well please

(thumbsu No problem sir. Glad to help out.

15 hours ago, szav said:

Respectfully disagree with your nuanced view of the market.  One needs only spend a few minutes looking at GPA, or simply the HA archives,  to see a very clear across the board upward trend for the past 4 years on Planets for all issues even in low to mid grade.  Even the least desirable mid run issues rarely sniff guide at worst going for 25-50% above, and these that go "low" are typically those copies with the poorer color strikes.  The majority of the run goes far above guide and has been for some time.

Some like 33, and 35, and most of  65-72 have been going 4 to 5 times guide for years even in low to mid grade.  There is no excuse at this point for the prices to be sooooo far off on sooooo many of the issues. I Wouldn't really say the jury is out on these so much as I'd say the people at OSPG are out to lunch on them.

Public service announcement: I own 1 Planet comic...even as a self described FH nut, Planets have become too expensive for the degree that I like them to pursue them.

Not being a Fiction House collector I haven’t taken the pulse of Planet Comics recently.  Obviously this title isn’t on life support, but based on my recollection of raw books for sale Planets didn’t seem noticeably higher at regional shows the last few years.  That said, since I’m not collecting Planets my perception of pricing may be off so I’ll yield to your experience with this title. 

I dropped GPA years ago as the service only covered auction sales of one third party grading company. GPA misses a lot of private sales while big auctions tend to inflate values.  That doesn’t mean I’m disagreeing with your assessment, but prefer to defer to OSG’s more conservative analysis based on broad dealer input.  I’m sure that you’re correct about the current spate of high dollar sales not being outliers, but my inclination is remaining mildly dubious of trends primarily supported by GPA and big auction sales.  :foryou:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

but my inclination is remaining mildly dubious of trends primarily supported by GPA and big auction sales

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I'm not sure if Ricksneatstuff counts as a one man auction house yet, but sales of Planets in his threads have reach otherworldly status as well.  Just another data point to support the notion that OSPG is woefully, if not willfully inaccurate.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:52 PM, sagii said:

..As far as Romance goes, while i'm a huge fan of the Forbidden Love run, it has lost luster in recent years, so I don't think it's a Top 10 book anymore.

There are other Baker Romance  books that would bring higher prices than GCE #'s 9, 13 and 15

And though none of the Negro Romance issues come to market often the series is still a seminal entry in the genre and deserves it's hallowed status :sumo:

In NM- (9.2), those issues would go for the proverbial "multiples of guide."

On 7/19/2019 at 2:17 PM, telerites said:

I remember when Cheetah bough the Denver Planet #1 (9.4).  I drooled over it as it sat on I think Metro's site? I don't think the GPA sale is when he bought it but maybe so.  I think he sold here when he liquidated but again I am unsure on that.  Looking back, it was such a bargain but hindsight is 20/20.  

Didn't he sell his run on Heritage (not too long after completing it, iirc)? But I may be mixing up his Planet run with another of his runs. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Didn't he sell his run on Heritage (not too long after completing it, iirc)? But I may be mixing up his Planet run with another of his runs. 

That could be.  I thought he bought the Denver on Metro so that sale wouldn't show in GPA but it show selling in 2014 for almost $33.5K.  I did find his journal entry commenting that he bought it and that in 2011.  I had forgotten Nic Cagr owned it before.

Also when I was searching, I stumbled on his Cheetah Runs thread.  fun to go back through and see the magnitude of his collection.  I posted that link belo also if anyone is interested.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And, no matter what you think about the pricing (which seems to be the most important aspect of this hobby to many), there is, and will never be, any more important book ever produced for information and history in our hobby...

Absolutely true.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:23 AM, sfcityduck said:

Strongly disagree with this list.  Overstreet's list is of Sci-Fi comics, NOT SF covers!  While the omission of Planet is unforgiveable, I can't agree with a number of books on this list.

^^

Now, this is exactly my line of thinking also.  (thumbsu

Planet 1 should most definitely qualify since the entire Planet run is all about si-fi and nothing else, whereas virtually all of the other books in the list are what I would call classic si-fi covers interspersed in a run of what would generally be considered as a non si-fi title.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

^^

Now, this is exactly my line of thinking also.  (thumbsu

Planet 1 should most definitely qualify since the entire Planet run is all about si-fi and nothing else, whereas virtually all of the other books in the list are what I would call classic si-fi covers interspersed in a run of what would generally be considered as a non si-fi title.  hm

thanks for the input. So you would agree with the Overstreet from 1993? Which had 13 of the Planet comics in the top 19 most valuable sci-fi books right?

I wonder why/when they stopped that

15 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

At this point I think OSPG would be more valuable as yearly market check-in. I like seeing what major players in the industry are the next big thing, even if they're pushing their own agenda. The market is large, do we really need a relative price guide?

That's actually pretty dead on to use the word "relative" because that's exactly how I use the price guide, as opposed to the actual dollar valuations themselves.  (thumbsu

I guess that's why it bothers me when they make clear "relative" valuation errors like having Captain America 2 at a higher valuation than Cap 3 when the entire marketplace has placed a far greater relative value on Cap 3 for well going onto a full decade already.  :frustrated:

On 7/19/2019 at 7:13 PM, bc said:

Here ya go - from OSPG 24 (1994)

ospg_24_top_scfi.thumb.jpg.cbb30bcba20da0a9437ea2bd60cad806.jpg

18 hours ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

thanks for the input. So you would agree with the Overstreet from 1993? Which had 13 of the Planet comics in the top 19 most valuable sci-fi books right?

I wonder why/when they stopped that

Regarding the Planets, this 1994 list really underscores the concept put forward by @sfcityduck and a few others in this thread that "Science Fiction Comics" should be/was about the contents of the book, not the cover. This explains why the 1994 list simply ranks the Planets in order of their issue number. This was true in 1994 and also 1993. The thinking being that issue #1 is more valuable than issue #2 is more valuable than issue #3 etc. There is the one exception with the Planet #15, which I guess must have been singled out way back when as the "low distribution" cult (:ph34r:) Planet issue. Though we all "know" now that #14 is just about as scarce as #15. In other words, the cover itself played minimal (if not zero) role in assembling the 1994 list.

If the cover had counted at all (and of course which counts for SO MUCH today), I expect the list from Planet #1 to Planet #12 plus Planet #15 would have looked like this, based on the collective opinions expressed by the Planet boardies, the dollars spent by the Planet boardies (:D), and a bit of my own preference:

Planet 1
Planet 2
Planet 15
Planet 5, Planet 8, Planet 10 (tie)
Planet 6
Planet 11
Planet 3
Planet 4
Planet 7
Planet 9
Planet 12

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Regarding the Planets, this 1994 list really underscores the concept put forward by @sfcityduck and a few others in this thread that "Science Fiction Comics" should be/was about the contents of the book, not the cover. This explains why the 1994 list simply ranks the Planets in order of their issue number. This was true in 1994 and also 1993. The thinking being that issue #1 is more valuable than issue #2 is more valuable than issue #3 etc. There is the one exception with the Planet #15, which I guess must have been singled out way back when as the "low distribution" cult (:ph34r:) Planet issue. Though we all "know" now that #14 is just about as scarce as #15. In other words, the cover itself played minimal (if not zero) role in assembling the 1994 list.

If the cover had counted at all (and of course which counts for SO MUCH today), I expect the list from Planet #1 to Planet #12 plus Planet #15 would have looked like this, based on the collective opinions expressed by the Planet boardies, the dollars spent by the Planet boardies (:D), and a bit of my own preference:

Planet 1
Planet 2
Planet 15
Planet 5, Planet 8, Planet 10 (tie)
Planet 6
Planet 11
Planet 3
Planet 4
Planet 7
Planet 9
Planet 12

Where would you put Jumbo 10 on a list of such FH sci-fi covers of that period?  After all, it's basically a Planet try out cover (Oct-Nov. 1939) as (correct me if I'm wrong) it was the first FH sci-fi cover.  Jumbo 11 was also sort of a sci-fi cover, and Jumbo never had any more - presumably because Planet came on the scene.

OSPG is a great read for the market reports. Not so much for the prices. I wish I could find an old want list from 91-92 where I was offering to buy numerous books at 2-6 X guide. I would say its actually a bit closer now.