• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The NEW Overstreet 2019 w/TOP Golden Age Horror/Romance/Sci-Fi is Here
4 4

86 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Ok Here’s My personal opinion of most valuable/Best investment sci-fi books (next 15 years) with 50k to invest lol mostly low graders I guess

1.    Planet Comics 1

2.    Startling comics #49

3.    Fantastic comics #3

4.     Blue Bolt #105

5   Captain Flight Comics #11

6.    Contact Comics #12

7.    Out of this World #1

8.    Weird Science #14

9.    Superworld Comics #1

10.   Famous Funnies #213

11.  Amazing Adventures #4

Bonus : Batman #59 (space cover) , Weird Science Fantasy #29

Strongly disagree with this list.  Overstreet's list is of Sci-Fi comics, NOT SF covers!  While the omission of Planet is unforgiveable, I can't agree with a number of books on this list.

* Fantastic Comics 3 is not a Sci-Fi book.  It is a multi-genre anthology like Action Comics.  The cover is a superhero (Samson).  The interior includes spy and knight stories and Sci-Fi.  

* Famous Funniers 213 is also not a Sci-Fi book.  It's a strip reprint book.  Buck Rogers, Dickie Dare, other adventure and non-fiction.

* Superworld 1 is another anthology book.  Interior has mystery/detective/Little Nemo/adventure/fantasy in addition to SF.

* Batman 59 shows you aren't even trying to keep on Sci-Fi.

* Startling, Contact, and Blue Bolt, I'm less familiar with but aren't they all anthologies?

23 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I mean just a search of completed auctions on HA sorted by highest first, limited to Sci-Fi Genre makes a better list

1. Planet Comics 1
2. Captain Flight Comics #11
3. Weird Science Fantasy #29
4. Contact Comics #12
5. Weird Science #14
6. Weird Science Fantasy Annual #1
7. Space Adventures #13
8. Superworld Comics #1
9. Famous Funnies #213
10. Weird Science #12 (#1)

I agree this list is more accurate, but items 2, 4, 8, and 9 aren't Sci-Fi genre comics (just SF covers).  They are anthologies.  And Space Adventures 13 is a superhero book.

My Top 10 Sci-Fi list would start with Planet 1 and include some other Planets along with potential contenders WSF 29, WS 12, WF 13, WSFA 1, Mystery in Space 1, Strange Adventures 1, any maybe a couple other true SF comics.  It'd take some research.  But you can't judge the books by their covers.

I'd notably leave off the list New Fun 3 and other anthologies that have SF covers (e.g. early Jumbo, Action 12, strip reprints like Famous Funnies, etc.).  Same for superhero books.

23 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

The elephant in the room is that there needs to be some kind of official OSG acknowledgment of pedigree values as a higher percentage or multiple(s) of Guide as opposed to non-pedigreed books of equivalent grade.  This is difficult because not all pedigrees have been “created” equally, but it needs to be addressed.  That change alone would greatly benefit OSG as a book pricing reference, IMO.

Overstreet should address the pedigree, file copy, association copy, and signature copy concepts somewhere in a text piece.   But, I don't think they need be separated in the pricing data.  Many of the most valuable copies of a particular comic ever sold were not pedigrees (e.g. Action 1, AF 15, All Star 8, Batman 1, etc.).  The "bonus" for a pedigree or file copy is both highly volatile and also inconsistent between pedigrees with a number really getting no bounce at all over same graded non-pedigrees.  Association copies and signature copies are even more volatile and hard to judge.    

33 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Strongly disagree with this list.  Overstreet's list is of Sci-Fi comics, NOT SF covers!  While the omission of Planet is unforgiveable, I can't agree with a number of books on this list.

* Fantastic Comics 3 is not a Sci-Fi book.  It is a multi-genre anthology like Action Comics.  The cover is a superhero (Samson).  The interior includes spy and knight stories and Sci-Fi.  

* Famous Funniers 213 is also not a Sci-Fi book.  It's a strip reprint book.  Buck Rogers, Dickie Dare, other adventure and non-fiction.

* Superworld 1 is another anthology book.  Interior has mystery/detective/Little Nemo/adventure/fantasy in addition to SF.

* Startling, Contact, and Blue Bolt, I'm less familiar with but aren't they all anthologies?

I get where you are coming from with Fantastic 3 and Batman but the others could be included in a sci-fi group I believe even if anthologies since they do include sci-fi stories and have sci-fi covers. The Frazetta FF run, even though only a portion of the interior is sci-fi, is almost always referred to as classic science fiction covers. Personally, I would include those anthologies with sci-fi elements inside and sci-fi covers in science fiction.

The thought that Planet Comics upward values have not been established is pretty hard to see as well. I think it has been on a steady increase for the 4 years I have been here and if anything, I see it growing even more currently. I think if the Church run were spread out and sold again over the next 6 months they would have mostly achieved higher numbers than they did in that single auction. I don't have much skin in Planets right now as I just have a handful and only one Church copy at the moment, but I think outside of Metropolis, I may have sold more Planet Comics than just about anybody over the last 2 years and I can say that their demand is quite high for rivets and copies in Fine or better. Most Planet threads have been pretty strong, especially if rivets are involved. I guess OSPG really takes their time to make sure something is not a fad before bringing pricing up. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

16 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I get where you are coming from with Fantastic 3 and Batman but the others could be included in a sci-fi group I believe even if anthologies since they do include sci-fi stories and have sci-fi covers.

To me, that view is the CGC talking.  Overstreet's list have always been of PURE SF, Horror, Romance, etc. genre comics, not a list of genre covers.  Maybe CGC has come to dominate the hobby to the point where the OPG should run top 10 lists of covers by genre, but that is not what those lists have been about for the past 40 years.  Famous Funnies is not a Sci-Fi genre series like Planet.  It's a strip reprint book that alternates Sci-Fi strip covers with a bunch of other strip genres.  It's a wholly different animal from Planet.

20 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I get where you are coming from with Fantastic 3 and Batman but the others could be included in a sci-fi group I believe even if anthologies since they do include sci-fi stories and have sci-fi covers. The Frazetta FF run, even though only a portion of the interior is sci-fi, is almost always referred to as classic science fiction covers. Personally, I would include those anthologies with sci-fi elements inside and sci-fi covers in science fiction.

The thought that Planet Comics upward values have not been established is pretty hard to see as well. I think it has been on a steady increase for the 4 years I have been here and if anything, I see it growing even more currently. I think if the Church run were spread out and sold again over the next 6 months they would have mostly achieved higher numbers than they did in that single auction. I don't have much skin in Planets right now as I just have a handful and only one Church copy at the moment, but I think outside of Metropolis, I may have sold more Planet Comics than just about anybody over the last 2 years and I can say that their demand is quite high for rivets and copies in Fine or better. Most Planet threads have been pretty strong, especially if rivets are involved. I guess OSPG really takes their time to make sure something is not a fad before bringing pricing up. 

This is one of the points I was trying to clarify earlier.  Yes, there has been a steady increase in upper grade Planet sales.  Those Church books were spectacular.  The jury is still out on mid-grade Planets. Fiction House covers are notorious for fading to orange, the strength of the color strike and overall art appeal being a big factor in desirability.  I suspect this’ll be factored in as well over the long term.  I’m not differing with other’s perception on Planet Comic values, I just take a more nuanced view of the market.

23 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Ah my data collection was faulty cause I was just using a list of past sales. 

And NO ONE sells Starting 49! Especially not in high grade!

That's the reason why Cinderella Love 25 isn't number one on the romance list.  NO SALES!

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Cinderella Love 25 would definitely be #1 on the list. I am positive of this. 

How much did the highest graded copy sell for?  :baiting:(worship)

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

thank you for your input. For me would be mostly about the covers. And yes CGC definitely changed the market when you can't access the book and You only have the cover to look at like some piece of art.  Take horror books for example. If we judge by the quality of the stories on the inside, then all the EC Comics would make the list. "The Unseen" has some cool covers but the writing on the inside wasn't very good. They were copying EC and capitalizing on their success.

There is a problem also with first appearances. Hulk #180 (if I judge by cameo or appearance? that's first wolverine and Not #181. Do people still buy #180 over #181s ? Heck no

At the end of the day. What drives the value of a book or any collectible? Supply and Demand.  The list that I put together is like a genre list of comics as You said that I would invest my money *today* Because in my eyes I see them with the biggest potential of increase value in say 10,15,20 years ahead.  that's all

Do you have or Does someone have an older Overstreet for say the year 1980? 1990? 2000? I wonder what were considered the top horror books back then? pics?  thanks

4 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

thank you for your input. For me would be mostly about the covers. And yes CGC definitely changed the market when you can't access the book and You only have the cover to look at like some piece of art.  Take horror books for example. If we judge by the quality of the stories on the inside, then all the EC Comics would make the list. "The Unseen" has some cool covers but the writing on the inside wasn't very good. They were copying EC and capitalizing on their success.

There is a problem also with first appearances. Hulk #180 (if I judge by cameo or appearance? that's first wolverine and Not #181. Do people still buy #180 over #181s ? Heck no

At the end of the day. What drives the value of a book or any collectible? Supply and Demand.  The list that I put together is like a genre list of comics as You said that I would invest my money *today* Because in my eyes I see them with the biggest potential of increase value in say 10,15,20 years ahead.  that's all

Do you have or Does someone have an older Overstreet for say the year 1980? 1990? 2000? I wonder what were considered the top horror books back then? pics?  thanks

I have some nineties ones,but I'm incredibly slothish getting things dug out.The one thing I remember about horror comics in the 90/91 book was that Silver Streak 3(?)and Classics 13 were listed as first possible horror books.I can't remember a specific horror write up at all tbh.I do remember #20 was the first time I saw Contact 12(swoon) and that 11 had a LB Cole write up.

16 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I have some nineties ones,but I'm incredibly slothish getting things dug out.The one thing I remember about horror comics in the 90/91 book was that Silver Streak 3(?)and Classics 13 were listed as first possible horror books.I can't remember a specific horror write up at all tbh.I do remember #20 was the first time I saw Contact 12(swoon) and that 11 had a LB Cole write up.

Interesting. Now I am really curious :whatev:lol I need to go to feebay and buy some old overstreets!

12 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My favorite sci fi story of all time hides behind a PCH cover. And I’m sad to say it gets very little love from OPG and I don’t ever see it mentioned on the boards, either. So let me just throw it out there: Brain Bats of Venus!!!

Nice Mister mystery #7 eh?  that would be a cool movie to make

59 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Interesting. Now I am really curious :whatev:lol I need to go to feebay and buy some old overstreets!

Oh man,the shipping...

I'm sure someone will come along shortly with some knowledge on any write ups. :wishluck:

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Oh man,the shipping...

I'm sure someone will come along shortly with some knowledge on any write ups. :wishluck:

The first OSPG to break out specific genres (other than top GA or SA books) is the 24th edition.

Give me a minute to post some pics.