• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OPEN APOLOGY
2 2

143 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I love visiting Florida, but could never live there. I'd like to be able to step outside and night and grab a smoke without worrying that I'm going to be ferried away to the Kingdom of the Giant Spiders.

What I'm saying is that they got some ornery lookin critters down there.

Worthy adversaries .... I dream of open warfare with Ants the size of dogs ... Large dogs... Mmmmm Chaos

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Unfortunately out of necessity at the rate I have been paying attention to warning labels I should have cancer within a week or two from now. 

Many interior sprays and sealants and chemicals that I have to use as I make some repairs and improvements have strict messages as to not used in confined spaces or places with poor ventilation as it has been known to contribute to cancer. Problem is that the place I need to use that substance is in a poorly ventilated area in a confined space lol

My favorite warning label was on a can of paint stripper that said, "Has been known to cause cancer in the state of California."  I thought to myself, "I'm in New York so I should be fine." lol 

boric acid is low toxicity even if eaten.  I'm not suggesting people eat it.  It does not kill by poisoning, it kills insects by sticking to their exoskeleton and sucking moisture out of their bodies.  It will kill roaches, palmetto bugs or whatever you want to call them.  People are more interested in sprays and traps thats why most people dont even know about boric acid.

5 hours ago, kav said:

boric acid is low toxicity even if eaten.  I'm suggesting the right people eat it. 

:golfclap: 

Just now, kav said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

:golfclap: 

LOW TOXICITY I said!!!!

Bump it up, Leroy.

Just now, oakman29 said:

I'm high toxicity. :devil:

you dont apologize to an exterminator and its hasta la vista baby

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Sometimes there are cool things down there though.  Last year I got to say I helped rescue a giant turtle that was caught in the middle of the road.  Took a towel from the car and picked this guy up who was about as big as an adult's tors. I put the towel over the shell and picked him up from the sides of the shell and walked into the woods by the lake to put him back to a place he would like a little better than the road. 

IMG_4568.JPG

That's a softshell turtle.  It's great that you rescued her :applause: (Mom & I used to rescue beaucoup turtles & tortoises from the roads, back in our Florida days).  Glad you said there's a lake near where you released her since she's gotta live in water.  Probably a female because the males grow to about a foot.

You are kinda lucky you didn't get bit.  They got a nasty bony plate in their mouth that can do some damage (not as bad as a snapper, though) and their necks can stretch pretty far if they're agitated.

And they are great to eat.  I liked 'em fried.

A 5 page thread EC Phanatic !!  It's seems the court has accepted your repentance and welcomed you back into good graces. 

On 7/19/2019 at 1:40 AM, Buzzetta said:

I was in Florida around this time last year for two weeks... They get these giant roaches that come up from the drains and run around homes looking for anything that strikes their interest.  I found out that Floridians are so used to them that they call them Palmetto Bugs instead of what they are... roaches... Maybe that is to make them feel better that they walk amongst giant roaches. 

I was visiting a friend in West Palm and let's just say that I wasn't in a sober state of mind...

went outside for a cigarette and leaned up against a palm tree. 

I started to feel a burning sensation in my legs. 

I looked down and was covered in giant ants of some sort. They were lighting me up! Gods...

I lived in Georgia for a while and we had massive fire ant mounds. But these Florida creatures brought a different sort of pain. 

I run back in the house screaming and tearing my clothes off on the way (in front of my friend's GF!) to the shower. 

Yeah...ummm...just thought I'd share. 

:tink:

5 minutes ago, newshane said:

I was visiting a friend in West Palm and let's just say that I wasn't in a sober state of mind...

went outside for a cigarette and leaned up against a palm tree. 

I started to feel a burning sensation in my legs. 

I looked down and was covered in giant ants of some sort. They were lighting me up! Gods...

I lived in Georgia for a while and we had massive fire ant mounds. But these Florida creatures brought a different sort of pain. 

I run back in the house screaming and tearing my clothes off on the way (in front of my friend's GF!) to the shower. 

Yeah...ummm...just thought I'd share. 

:tink:

@oakman29 eats those for breakfast!

3 minutes ago, kav said:

@oakman29 eats those for breakfast!

They were large enough for me to clearly see the mandibles working my flesh. 

1 minute ago, newshane said:

They were large enough for me to clearly see the mandibles working my flesh. 

oh lordy

1 minute ago, newshane said:

..at least that's what my perception was..which is all that really matters, no? 

Yes it's all that matters .... oakman could have hosed you down, as he is an exterminator for a living is all...

But he's in California not Florida bless his heart!