• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm not sure this is the right place for this - Kyoto Animation

18 posts in this topic

Hi all. I'm still in a bit of shock. The anime and manga producers Kyoto Animation were hit by an arson attack today. 33 people died. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

KyoAni have produced some anime and manga that has gotten me through some very dark times for me. I am stunned by this. My heart goes out to the families of the deceased and I hope the injured recover quickly and fully. I can't believe it. They make things that make people happy, give joy to the world, and some insect has to destroy it. 

If this isn't the appropriate place for this, mods, please move it to the right place.

James

*EDIT*

To show how much the company means to me, my avatar is of Tsmugi Kotobuki, from the anime "K-On", a KyoAni show.

Edited by Kahnadah
more info

Just now, Crops068 said:

Yeah I saw this earlier today.  Evidently they guy ran in and just started pouring some flammable liquid and yelling "die".  Some 80 people were inside.

The horror never stops.....

throat punch

59 minutes ago, kav said:

throat punch

Kick in the stomach. I felt sick when I saw it. I suffer from severe depression, and had a 16 year relationship end two years ago. Two suicide attempts. Then I saw the anime "K-On!", and it made me feel just a little bit better. Some of their work made me cry (A Silent Voice, K-On! episode 24, Violet Evergarden episode 10), but most gave me such indescribable joy. I am still crying about it off and on. I feel so helpless. I want to help KyoAni buy I live on welfare. I can't afford to but manga and Blu-Rays even though I very much want to. I just want to do SOMETHING.

Who would have thought my 600th post would be this? I wanted to spend it with something silly, like saying "600th post and all I want is a Moon Knight #1! KIDDING!"...but this is what I get. I'm sorry to be so down about this. It's hit harder than I thought it would. So much evil in the world. :'(

Edited by Kahnadah
typo

7 minutes ago, Kahnadah said:

Kick in the stomach. I felt sick when I saw it. I suffer from severe depression, and had a 16 year relationship end two years ago. Two suicide attempts. Then I saw the anime "K-On!", and it made me feel just a little bit better. Some of their work made me cry (A Silent Voice, K-On! episode 24, Violet Evergarden episode 10), but most gave me such indescribable joy. I am still crying about it off and on. I feel so helpless. I want to help KyoAni buy I live on welfare. I can't afford to but manga and Blu-Rays even though I very much want to. I just want to do SOMETHING.

Who would have thought my 600th post would be this? I wanted to spend it with something silly, like saying "600th post and all I want is a Moon Knight #1! KIDDING!"...but this is what I get. I'm sorry to be so down about this. It's hit harder than I thought it would. So much evil in the world. :'(

The best cure for depression is start doing things for others and take the focus off yourself.  It works.  This is a terrible tragedy but flowers grow from ashes.

17 minutes ago, kav said:

The best cure for depression is start doing things for others and take the focus off yourself.  It works.  This is a terrible tragedy but flowers grow from ashes.

I don't even know if I can. The one thing that gave me a little joy is forever linked to some scumbag taking 33 innocent lives. People I will never meet who gave me hope. People who will never see their families again. It's an open wound. Sorry, I'm being quite maudlin about it. But, nothing I have collected has given me anything near this level of happiness. Comics didn't do it. Hockey cards didn't, game used hockey sticks didn't. I can't watch K-On! or Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid or Violet Evergarden again. I can't re-read the manga. Maybe later, much later, but not now. Hollow feeling. Like I'm empty of happiness, and there's nothing left to replace it. Sorry Kav, feel free to ignore me. I'm just down and I don't know how to get back up. 

6 minutes ago, Kahnadah said:

I don't even know if I can. The one thing that gave me a little joy is forever linked to some scumbag taking 33 innocent lives. People I will never meet who gave me hope. People who will never see their families again. It's an open wound. Sorry, I'm being quite maudlin about it. But, nothing I have collected has given me anything near this level of happiness. Comics didn't do it. Hockey cards didn't, game used hockey sticks didn't. I can't watch K-On! or Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid or Violet Evergarden again. I can't re-read the manga. Maybe later, much later, but not now. Hollow feeling. Like I'm empty of happiness, and there's nothing left to replace it. Sorry Kav, feel free to ignore me. I'm just down and I don't know how to get back up. 

Listen-we are all immortal indestructible personality essences that use and discard bodies countless times.  Everything is ok.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

Listen-we are all immortal indestructible personality essences that use and discard bodies countless times.  Everything is ok.

I think it's too soon for me to think about. I'm still in shock, I guess. I can't see the philosophical side yet. I'm not religious, but I know energy is neither created or destroyed. I just hope that the energy these wonderful people had is somewhere good.

Just now, Kahnadah said:

I think it's too soon for me to think about. I'm still in shock, I guess. I can't see the philosophical side yet. I'm not religious, but I know energy is neither created or destroyed. I just hope that the energy these wonderful people had is somewhere good.

It is.

Try to stop focusing on your own misery-think about and help others.  Thats the way to happiness and cure for depression.  I dont even know you but seeing someone suffer from depression tears at me.  I've been there.  :foryou:

31 minutes ago, kav said:

It is.

Try to stop focusing on your own misery-think about and help others.  Thats the way to happiness and cure for depression.  I dont even know you but seeing someone suffer from depression tears at me.  I've been there.  :foryou:

I think the best way I can help and get to feeling better is to buy KyoAni stuff. To that end I will take all my graphic novels and collectibles to my uncle's flea market stall and let him sell them for me, and use the money to buy as much anime and manga as I can. At least then I'll feel like I'm DOING something. Something constructive.

8 hours ago, Kahnadah said:

I think the best way I can help and get to feeling better is to buy KyoAni stuff. To that end I will take all my graphic novels and collectibles to my uncle's flea market stall and let him sell them for me, and use the money to buy as much anime and manga as I can. At least then I'll feel like I'm DOING something. Something constructive.

Just don't do something you will later regret doing.  If the graphic novels brought you joy before they could again.  And you might miss them at some point. 

Have you tried creating something yourself?  Maybe drawing or doing something crafty?  You could possibly sell what you create at the same stall and have the same end result.

9 hours ago, Kahnadah said:

I saw this on the news and its terrible. No words can describe such a terrible thing... I do know though that those people who worked on those anime shows having seen Violet Evergarden on Netflix and loving the quality of the animation were truly talented people and I think they would like for you to honor their memory and keep appreciating their art work and effort. they may be gone but they are some of the lucky few people to leave a lasting impression of their talent and work and have people like you appreciate it and build a relationship/attachment to it. It might be to early and hard but they would probably appreciate you re watching/reading their work honoring their memories and work.

:foryou:

Also I loved the artwork for Violet Evergarden so many beautiful landscapes that were so surreal made you feel like you were there on those bright sunny warm days. 

Edited by Krishosein

3 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Just don't do something you will later regret doing.  If the graphic novels brought you joy before they could again.  And you might miss them at some point. 

Have you tried creating something yourself?  Maybe drawing or doing something crafty?  You could possibly sell what you create at the same stall and have the same end result.

I can't draw to save my life, so that'd be out. As for the comics, I've had no passion for them for years. They do nothing for me, and I really think they'd be better off with someone who wants them. They're sitting in the box I sent them back to Canada inside. I haven't looked at them for more than 2 years, so I think I wouldn't miss them. The only problem is trying to sell them off. No one in Calgary seems to be buying and I'm not sure even my uncle's flea market stall will take them.