• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN 4 VS ACTION COMICS 23
3 3

326 posts in this topic

Just now, Randall Ries said:

Was it like that back then? Would the publisher instruct all the newsstands and shops etc to withhold until further notice? Or did the vendors just order and when the things came in, they put them out to be sold? The withholding thing seems more like a latter day ploy to me.

Who knows.

Which is why publisher intent and story continuity trump all in these discussions.  

The rest is unverifiable jibber-jabber from an era when things were more fast and loose. 

-J.

8 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

New thoughts and ideas are usually met with violent opposition, for no other reason than that they are not already commonly accepted.

You haven't said anything "new". All you've done is copy and paste from a notorious pump and dump spec site.  (thumbsu

So put your money where your mouth is and see if you can get DC/Overstreet/CGC etc. to update their official records to support your position, with this already known information.  

I would suggest starting with DC directly however, since it is unlikely any other authority will change anything so long as DC officially and correctly lists Action 23 as the first. 

Otherwise it's all just jibber-jabber.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

5 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You haven't said anything "new". All you've done is copy and paste from a notorious pump and dump spec site.  (thumbsu

So put your money where your mouth is and see if you can get DC/Overstreet/CGC etc. to update their official records to support your position, with this already known information.  

Otherwise it's all just jibber-jabber.

-J.

What's wrong with jibber jabber? Do you have something more important going on that your time can't be wasted with jibber jabber? It's fun to play Detective concerning Superman and Action.

On sale date 02/15 Superman 4. Not from a pump and dump site. From DC. 

On sale date for Action 23 02/23 from DC, and reconfirmed in this thread with an arrival date stamp. 

A comment (not proof at all, just wild conjecture and opinion) stated that its "possible" they were fast and loose and it "might not" have hit newsstands on time when the little proof we have and logic fly in the face of that is your gospel?

Where's your proof?

Get real Dog :golfclap:

Just now, Randall Ries said:

What's wrong with jibber jabber? Do you have something more important going on that your time can't be wasted with jibber jabber? It's fun to play Detective concerning Superman and Action.

Touché my friend.  Lol

-J.

3 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I read the 2 pages and it does seem that he new Lex L in Action 23. I would like to see the whole story where Superman gets Lex name ? I read  Superman 4 he says we see each other again ? Lets see both stores than hm I will say it looks like Action 23 was to hit the newsstand first but that did not happen. 

I don't think there's any argument against the Action story being first, continuity-wise, but that doesn't make it the first of the two issues to reach the public.

Just now, Joshua33 said:

On sale date 02/15 Superman 4. Not from a pump and dump site. From DC. 

On sale date for Action 23 02/23 from DC, and reconfirmed in this thread with an arrival date stamp. 

A comment (not proof at all, just wild conjecture and opinion) stated that its "possible" they were fast and loose and it "might not" have hit newsstands on time when the little proof we have and logic fly in the face of that is your gospel?

Where's your proof?

Get real Dog :golfclap:

You're going in circles.  It has already been explained to you why that isn't persuasive in and of itself.  Get something more and come back. Or...

Put your money where your mouth is and convince DC, with this already known info, to officially and correctly  report something other than Action 23 on its own website. 

-J.

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I would suggest starting with DC directly however, since it is unlikely any other authority will change anything so long as DC officially and correctly lists Action 23 as the first.

DC officially and correctly lists the release date of Action 23 as March 31, 1940. Therefore, Superman 4 came first. Case closed. :sumo:

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
22 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I read the 2 pages and it does seem that he new Lex L in Action 23. I would like to see the whole story where Superman gets Lex name ? I read  Superman 4 he says we see each other again ? Lets see both stores than hm I will say it looks like Action 23 was to hit the newsstand first but that did not happen. 

I don't think there's any argument against the Action story being first, continuity-wise, but that doesn't make it the first of the two issues to reach the public.

From Action 23:

luthorwho.thumb.jpg.51ef4a74d4f62095a5b88e25dac37815.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You're going in circles.  It has already been explained to you why that isn't persuasive in and of itself.  Get something more and come back. Or...

Put your money where your mouth is and convince DC, with this already known info, to officially and correctly  report something other than Action 23 on its own website. 

-J.

I'll bet this is it: There was a crippling blizzard the week of 2/15 in the Northeast. All delivery vehicles were suspended from making deliveries, postponing the delivery of Supes 4. By the time they dug out, Action 23 was delivered, along with Supes 4 at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

DC officially and correctly lists the release date of Action 23 as March 31, 1940. Therefore, Superman 4 came first. Case closed. :sumo:

Classis straw man.

We've already discussed how "release dates" are unreliable and inconsequential. That does not mean DC does not know when their own character first appeared.  

Furthermore, the character bio that I linked from DC's site says nothing of a release date for the issue (and interestingly, Superman 4 is not searchable at all in that secondary database, guess that tells us what DC thinks of its actual significance (or lack thereof)) hm

And again, if you think that even DC is "wrong", let them know and get them to "fix" things the way you think they should be. Then Overstreet and CGC et al. would have no choice but to follow suit, right ?

Good luck with that ! 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Classis straw man.

We've already discussed how "release dates" are unreliable and inconsequential. That does not mean DC does not know when their own character first appeared.  

Furthermore, the character bio that I linked from DC's site says nothing of a release date for the issue (and interestingly, Superman 4 is not searchable at all in that database, guess that tells us what DC thinks of its actual significance (or lack thereof).

-J.

Or maybe...MAYBE they are trying to cover up their gaffe by making Supes 4 unsearchable. Now we have some REAL black ops spoon to ponder...

Edited by Randall Ries
misspell

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Classis straw man.

Furthermore, the character bio that I linked from DC's site says nothing of a release date for the issue (and interestingly, Superman 4 is not searchable at all in that database, guess that tells us what DC thinks of its actual significance (or lack thereof).

-J.

They dont want to shatter Troll hearts with the truth...  that they accidentally released it first.:roflmao:

7 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

They dont want to shatter Troll hearts with the truth...  that they accidentally released it first.:roflmao:

Then why are you still wasting your time here ?

Shouldn't  you be reaching out to DC and presenting them with this vital info that they have surely never heard or known about until you and your friends at a notorious pump and dump spec site stumbled upon 75 years later ? Lol Get on it man!

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Classis straw man.

Furthermore, the character bio that I linked from DC's site says nothing of a release date for the issue (and interestingly, Superman 4 is not searchable at all in that secondary database, guess that tells us what DC thinks of its actual significance (or lack thereof)) hm

And again, if you think that even DC is "wrong", let them know and get them to "fix" things the way you think they should be. Then Overstreet and CGC et al. would have no choice but to follow suit, right ?

Good luck with that ! 

-J.

youcanclickonlinks.thumb.jpg.9d146762904f5abc573aeeb4589504f5.jpg

12 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

From Action 23:

luthorwho.thumb.jpg.51ef4a74d4f62095a5b88e25dac37815.jpg

This shows that this was meant to hit newsstands first. Superman 4 it says we meet again. I would say Action 23 was meant to hit first than Superman 4 would have been his 2nd app as the story goes.

I think it is possible that Action 23 and superman 4 hit the first block of the Publisher's  neighborhood 1st and the rest of the world had to wait 8 days.

I think when you load a truck with Action 23 first than put Superman 4 after that the Superman 4 would be the first to leave the truck so they unloaded all the Sups first than on the way back with the truck more empty put Action 23 out.

thats-all-i-have-to-say-about-that-thumb.jpg.8bf1b18ab7316feb020aba626f237746.jpg

2 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I think it is possible that Action 23 and superman 4 hit the first block of the Publisher's  neighborhood 1st and the rest of the world had to wait 8 days.

I think when you load a truck with Action 23 first than put Superman 4 after that the Superman 4 would be the first to leave the truck so they unloaded all the Sups first than on the way back with the truck more empty put Action 23 out.

???

Where have you seen even a suggestion that they had the same release date?