• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN 4 VS ACTION COMICS 23
3 3

326 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2019 at 11:20 PM, Crowzilla said:

Don't know if this is any help or not, but I went looking for arrivals dates on Superman #4 tonight to see what I could find and came across this one:

supe4arrive.jpg

On 7/23/2019 at 1:54 PM, Black Captain said:

Crowzilla, is this accurate or just a little joke? If accurate, can you provide the source?

OMG, best posting of the day. Thank you...(worship)

Now if it said 9.6 copy hold till Bedrock arrives I might have believed it....hm

Edited by N e r V

Action 23. 

OP comes across as someone who does not have an Action 23 and that ship MAY have sailed for him.  He did get a Superman 4 though, so he is trying to convince others that his Superman 4 is worth more than it currently goes for to generate hype in case he wants to sell it down the road.

Edited by Buzzetta

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Action 23. 

OP comes across as someone who does not have an Action 23 and that ship MAY have sailed for him.  He did get a Superman 4 thought so he is trying to convince others that his Superman 4 is worth more than it currently goes for to generate hype in case he wants to sell it down the road.

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant. One of the books was published first, and it looks like Superman 4 is that book.

I'm so sick of discovering that certain hobby "knowledge" isn't based on reality, but what some dumb :censored: got wrong decades ago and was never corrected. And I'm even more sick of people defending the status quo just because it's the status quo, even though it might be, or provably is, wrong.

22 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant. One of the books was published first, and it looks like Superman 4 is that book.

I'm so sick of discovering that certain hobby "knowledge" isn't based on reality, but what some dumb :censored: got wrong decades ago and was never corrected. And I'm even more sick of people defending the status quo just because it's the status quo, even though it might be, or provably is, wrong.

Schtaaaaaaaaaap...  If this was a modern thread... you would be saying the same thing.  

Action 23... I took the time to go through my archives and read the issue. 

Action 23 introduces Luthor. 

Supes 4 makes it seem like they already know one another. 

It's like X-Men Annual 14 and X-Men 266.  X-Men Annual 14 comes out first but 266 is recognized as the first appearance.  

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Schtaaaaaaaaaap...  If this was a modern thread... you would be saying the same thing. 

(shrug)

Action 23... I took the time to go through my archives and read the issue. 

Action 23 introduces Luthor. 

Supes 4 makes it seem like they already know one another. 

Yes. That's already been addressed here.

It's like X-Men Annual 14 and X-Men 266.  X-Men Annual 14 comes out first but 266 is recognized as the first appearance.  

Nope. But that's also been addressed here anyway.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Actually, no. That's has not been shown by anyone, and as Gator has repeatedly stated, it likely cannot be known. 

And sorry, mikesamazingworld.com didn't help you with alleged publication dates.  Maybe you should have read the disclaimers on the site.  hm

This isn't about what "some guy" wrote wrong 50 years ago.  DC knows what they've published  and they are the final word on the matter.  Don't like it, take it up with them directly.  You're just pizzing in the wind blubbering about it here.  

But I'm sure you'll keep doing what you like to do anyway, which is beating a dead and slaughtered horse.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Actually, no. That's has not been shown by anyone, and as Gator has repeatedly stated, it likely cannot be known. 

And sorry, mikesamazingworld.com didn't help you with alleged publication dates.  Maybe you should have read the disclaimers on the site.  hm

This isn't about what "some guy" wrote wrong 50 years ago.  DC knows what they've published  and they are the final word on the matter.  Don't like it, take it up with them directly.  You're just pizzing in the wind blubbering about it here.  

But I'm sure you'll keep doing what you like to do anyway, which is beating a dead and slaughtered horse.  (thumbsu

-J.

I agree.  

Action 23 is the 1st Luthor. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Actually, no. That's has not been shown by anyone

I didn't say it was definitively true, I said it looks like Superman 4 was first.

DC knows what they've published  and they are the final word on the matter.

Of course they are. And since they list the release date of Action 23 as March 31, 1940, Superman 4 was clearly first!

Pot. Kettle. You know. lol

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

That's the attempted narrative.  

That no one can prove.  

So we revert to what DC says.

And they have the final word.  

https://www.dcuniverse.com/encyclopedia/lex-luthor/

-J.

So I'll quote my post from earlier:

On 7/23/2019 at 10:54 PM, Lazyboy said:

When was the first time DC referred to Action Comics 23 as Luthor's first appearance? Anybody know?

Anybody?

On 7/23/2019 at 11:54 PM, Lazyboy said:

When was the first time DC referred to Action Comics 23 as Luthor's first appearance? Anybody know?

I’m not sure anyone outside of DC can confirm that? It’s not like they posted to their website back then lol

I’m guessing the general series of events was back in the 40s or 50s or 60s or even 70s someone (overstreet, brown, etc) read the issues and with no real way to research (or even care which issue hit the stands first by a day or week or month or whatever) determined that the stories clearly unfolded Luther was intro’d in action 23 and then the recognized Luther story in Superman 4. Back then the known release dates would have loosely coincided that they were on the newsstands at the “same” time (talking the month released) and that’s how the narrative was born and have lived ever since.