• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN 4 VS ACTION COMICS 23
3 3

326 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I’m not sure anyone outside of DC can confirm that? It’s not like they posted to their website back then lol

lol :makepoint: I mean in print, in a letters column or editorial note or whatever.

12 hours ago, bobbodouble said:

Does anyone know who the girl is on cover of action 23? I always thought was Lois lane and thus the first cover for her? 

I thought 27 was but 23 could be than you would have a 1st app:cry:

On 7/27/2019 at 1:36 PM, bobbodouble said:

Does anyone know who the girl is on cover of action 23? I always thought was Lois lane and thus the first cover for her? 

I think it's Lois.

The lady on the cover of 27 and 29 is clearly the same raven haired beauty, variation of yellow dress and all. The woman on the cover of 23, is a brunette drawn completely different. DC has 29 listed as the first Lois cover. I disagree. I would say 27 is definitely the same woman on the cover of 29. Just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

Nobody claimed he was on the cover. Luthor still had hair in Action 23 and Superman 4

My bad, when I saw the original poster state "Superman #4 with Luthor on cover: ", I took that to mean he thought Luthor was on the cover.

Glad you explained for him.

Edited by Crowzilla

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

My bad, when I saw the original poster state "Superman #4 with Luthor on cover: ", I took that to mean he thought Luthor was on the cover.

Glad you explained for him.

Ha, you're right. He DID say that. He was obviously misinformed. It was a topic that was discussed previously in this thread, as well. 

16 hours ago, aardvark88 said:
On 8/22/2019 at 8:46 PM, woowoo said:

It says here it is so that means sup 4 was first Thank you :cry::whee::hi:

Found Action #22 with preview ad of Superman #4 available Feb. 15 (1940?) before Action #23(?):

kFj4PV2.jpg

^^  :makepoint:

Hey Allan;

Great research on your part here and it looks pretty conclusive from my point of view here.  (thumbsu

On 7/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, N e r V said:

Saying that Action had the first intended Luthor story though is a fact but we also have proof the first intended story appearance isn’t always the first on the newsstands (calling Sandman). So I think it’s a fair argument to have a request to change the wordage with Superman #4 as the first newsstand appearance and Action to have the first written/intended appearance. Having Superman #4 listed as the 2nd appearance when it was either out first or the same time (in some areas) is a bit crazy.

Now if you’re trying to change someone’s mind as to which should have a higher value, well good luck with that. The market determines its own values.

+1

Yes, this is the exact same scenario as the Sandman in terms of Adventure Comics 40 and New York Eorld's Fair 1939.  For the longest time, Overstreet used to incorrectly have Adventure 40 as the first appearance of Sandman, before finally correcting it in his guide.  Now, he notes Adventure 40 as the first conceived Sandman story while he has NYWF 1939 as being the first published Sandman story.  I believe Overstreet will eventually get around to doing this same long overdsue correction with Superman 4 and Action 23 if enough collectors point it out to him. :blahblah:  :blahblah:   :taptaptap:

Either way, even if it eventually gets corrected, I strongly doubt it will have much impact on the valuation between the 2 books, similar to how the valuation for Adventure 40 is still multiple times higher than the valuation for NYWF 1939.  hm

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Huh? (shrug)

This is still just as weak and inconclusive now as it was 15+ pages ago, and it has already been explained ad nauseam why.  This is the epitome of tilting at windmills.

-J.

Gonna start calling you OJay. If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit. :roflmao:Clearly shows the Superman 4 newsstand date as Feb 15th, which lines up directly with the release dates from DC and copyright granted. Action 23 did not hit newsstands until Feb 22nd, a full week later. This is upheld by DC and by the copyrights. Doesn't get more conclusive than that.