• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

I wonder if that 9.0 Action 1 from a few years back was press hm

you mean the 9.4?

40 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I took the same position years ago on a completely different topic stating that 'more information was better' even if it wasn't complete.

I got lambasted, trash talked, accused of having an agenda - you name it. Even if none of the things people were saying was true, I was vilified because I thought 'more information was better than less information.

Yeah, that's how it went. It wasn't about the possibility of rampant fraud and price manipulation, it was about everyone keeping down the Champion of Information. Good Lord.

And with namisgr's idea of marking only some books from CCS you don't have exactly the same parallel where you would have information fraud and price manipulation?

Good Lord is right.

Never let a bandwagon pass quietly.

@VintageComics I also stated CGC needs to recognize books pressed by CCS. But then again my motive is it's a crock they are able to do work on a book then grade their own work on said book. I know you stated they had Mark Zaid come in for an internal audit to show there was no conflict of interest. With just the action of bringing Mark in to do this shows they had the idea of how this could (and should) be perceived.

This is like being in school and the teaching giving you a quiz them after said quiz instead of passing it to the person behind you, the teacher put up the answer on the overhead projector and has you grade your own test. 

Edited by JWKyle

11 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

There is. it's a Franken-Action 1. Or Fraction #1 for short.

Is that one of the books that the work was done by the people who CGC will no longer grade their books?

2 hours ago, JWKyle said:

Is that one of the books that the work was done by the people who CGC will no longer grade their books?

This still looks more comic book than restorative materials to me, going by the image, it not having been taken quite so far as those overly-extensively-extensively restored books that you're referencing. This still looks like a polished apple rather than one made out of wax. Great call by CGC, IMO, to hit the brakes on those.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:
4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

And with namisgr's idea of marking only some books from CCS you don't have exactly the same parallel where you would have information fraud and price manipulation?

Good Lord is right.

Never let a bandwagon pass quietly.

What does any of this mean?  If you think you are some kind of victim, get over yourself and quit posting revisionist history all over the Boards. It's stupid.

Once again, someone with a sharp axe to grind misses the forest for the trees.

The point is a simple one to understand if people could turn off their blinders and stop looking at who is doing the posting.

In one context everyone agrees that more information is not better because they are afraid of fraud and deception. In another context (but an exact parallel to the first) they contradict that same principle because now it serves their own agenda better and 'more information is better' even though it opens the door to fraud and deception.

And yet people are so emotional about pressing that they are willing to go against principles that were originally frowned upon simply because they don't like pressing.

But keep making it about me.

3 hours ago, JWKyle said:

@VintageComics I also stated CGC needs to recognize books pressed by CCS. But then again my motive is it's a crock they are able to do work on a book then grade their own work on said book. I know you stated they had Mark Zaid come in for an internal audit to show there was no conflict of interest. With just the action of bringing Mark in to do this shows they had the idea of how this could (and should) be perceived.

This is like being in school and the teaching giving you a quiz them after said quiz instead of passing it to the person behind you, the teacher put up the answer on the overhead projector and has you grade your own test. 

I don't think we're disagreeing with each other. (shrug)