• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Put it together by myself too... 

they really are nothing but giant LEGO sets 

image.jpg

Did this thread meet your high expectations?

Just now, greggy said:

Did this thread meet your high expectations?

No but the dresser did actually... 

@THE_BEYONDER

There is a place out here on LI that is nothing but about 2-3 miles of various furniture stores.  I went to almost every single one to see if I could find a dresser I like.  Every place I went to utilized a four leg setup with weak drawers for triple of what Ikea wanted for that dresser. Many of them used the presswood which I am not a fan of.  This dresser from Ikea was cut from pine but still, a decent wood.  The drawers had metal underbraces which many other places did not.  It also offered a fifth leg cut down the middle of the dresser and in the center providing more support. For $279 I didn't think it was a bad deal. 

The only alternative was this reclaimed barnwood place but I did not feel like doing $1800 on a dresser.   I went to them for my kitchen hutch and my coffee table though. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

No but the dresser did actually... 

@THE_BEYONDER

There is a place out here on LI that is nothing but about 2-3 miles of various furniture stores.  I went to almost every single one to see if I could find a dresser I like.  Every place I went to utilized a four leg setup with weak drawers for triple of what Ikea wanted for that dresser. Many of them used the presswood which I am not a fan of.  This dresser from Ikea was cut from pine but still, a decent wood.  The drawers had metal underbraces which many other places did not.  It also offered a fifth leg cut down the middle of the dresser and in the center providing more support. For $279 I didn't think it was a bad deal. 

The only alternative was this reclaimed barnwood place but I did not feel like doing $1800 on a dresser.   I went to them for my kitchen hutch and my coffee table though. 

I could see Buzz on a battlefield discussing fabric swatches.

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
On 7/26/2019 at 12:09 AM, VintageComics said:

It's an interesting point of view to me, and I'll tell you why.

Here is the problem with this thread in a nutshell.

lol

Edited by Gotham Kid

26 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Why don’t you tell us again, who all was there at the end of the night when you and Nik supposedly had to spot several hundred dollars of other boardies’ bill for booze, etc.? I’d love their take on that claim.

I don't remember who was all there. It was Louise who heard some people at the dinner saying that they didn't drink that much alcohol and didn't want to chip in as much money as was needed. She said it to me after we left.

At the time I just remember being surprised at how short we were (most people were waiting outside already).

But do you really need to go on and on about it?  It does happen at large gatherings. It's happened at more than one forum dinner.

What would be more surprising is if we WEREN'T short on a large gathering.

28 minutes ago, Transplant said:

How about the collector, never leaving my personal collection, drop ship? 

I've never bought a book for a flip and said it was for my personal collection. Not ever. And since I've been on the boards and back in comics, there are records and exchanges of all of my transactions and there isn't a single interaction where I said that to anyone. But facts don't change someone's mind if it's made up, do they? And all the tag-alongs just perpetuate what they want to believe.

31 minutes ago, Transplant said:

What about the bindery chip? 

Ah yes, I bought a cheap book with a spot of coor touch on it (was it $180?) to try to have color touch removed as a personal experiment.

Then I posted the book for sale online and called the tiny missing chip where the color touch was scraped a bindery chip in the sales description. I probably shouldn't have called it a bindery chip in hindsight but I didn't think it was a big deal because I wouldn't have cared what someone else called it. I'm a horrible person.

36 minutes ago, Transplant said:

And some of the most vitriolic, hateful things I’ve read on these boards.

You'll have to excuse me for losing my temper once in a while after everyone is (I feel) unfairly piling on.

I'm human and I guess for that I'm allowed to apologize when I mess up.

1 hour ago, greggy said:

All I know is that I wouldn't be telling people who weren't there over 10 years after the fact to try to convince them that I did.

Or maybe my motive wasn't to convince anyone of anything and I was just sharing a memory just as others were sharing memories. (shrug)

I know I'm not going to change the mind of people who have their minds made up but that doesn't change the fact that I have memories just as others do.

Edited by VintageComics

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Or maybe my motive wasn't to convince anyone of anything and I was just sharing a memory just as others were sharing memories. (shrug)

I know I'm not going to change the mind of people who have their minds made up but that doesn't change the fact that I have memories just as others do.

I'm not taking a side here but if people have been upset for so long wouldnt it be wise to just ask them how much they feel they should be reimbursed and do that?

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wax or pencil?hm

wax and pencil. was easy for me to spot. The seller brought his own expert to our booth to challenge me on the books I said were color touched. Rather than argue I simply took a tissue and lightly rubbed the areas I suspected were color touched and showed the wax crayon rubbing.

The sellers "expert" has worked in the printing industry and claimed any rubbing like I had done could potentially remove inks. 

I looked at about 20 books that people had bought then went to the sellers booth and had a look for myself and found LOTS of tainted books

Edited by Artboy99

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wax or pencil?hm

wax and pencil. was easy for me to spot. The seller brought his own expert to our booth to challenge me on the books I said were color touched. Rather than argue I simply took a tissue and lightly rubbed the areas I suspected were color touched and showed the wax crayon rubbing.

The sellers "expert" has worked in the printing industry and claimed any rubbing like I had done could potentially remove inks. 

Edited 2 minutes ago by Artboy99

Never heard of crayon being used.   Thanks for sharing.(thumbsu

13 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I looked at about 20 books that people had bought then went to the sellers booth and had a look for myself and found LOTS of tainted books

I was there. You had to really look, but there was CT all over the place. 

6 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Never heard of crayon being used.   Thanks for sharing.(thumbsu

most color touch fails the "light" test to my eyes. When I hold the book and allow the natural light to go over the entire surface any color touch tends to change what should be an even sheen.

A few years back I considered possibly doing professional comic restoration and put my artistic skills to work in the comic industry. I experimented with applying various forms of color touch to a whole bunch of junky books I had to learn. The experience helps me see it.

Edited by Artboy99