• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this eBay buyer just trolling me or am I being unreasonable?

65 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2019 at 9:21 PM, CKinTO said:

- He offered to pay for the books now (exc shipping), and so if there was going to be back and forth on books, the only thing I suppose you could have done would be offered to revise the invoice to exclude shipping, so he could pay now and then wait for the next auction (or at least continue the discussion on what books would be in next auction).

I wouldn't recommend going this route ever.  What happens if/when the buyer doesn't win any other books?  How will you collect the additional shipping charges?  As far as eBay is concerned, they think that the buyer has paid in full.  Afterall, the invoice was updated and the buyer sent in payment.  In that case, you'd be out shipping and would either need to ship at a loss or cancel the order entirely (which counts against you as a seller when it comes to your seller ratings).

On 7/19/2019 at 6:59 PM, NamesJay said:

July 19:
ME:
First of all, you must not have been around eBay for very long, because eBay automatically opens unpaid bidder cases after payment hasn't been made over the course of several days.

In a rare instance, I'm going to agree with @RockMyAmadeus here.  Putting myself in the buyer's shoes, the part where you state that he "must not have been around eBay for very long" would really have ticked me off.  On top of the case already being filed against him, this is likely what set him off.  I think this was both the point of escalation and no return.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:03 PM, Beige said:

Is there any chance this was a misunderstanding but escalated when the unpaid item case kicked in (I have it manually set on my store)?

I kinda read it as "Can I pay for the books I won, but not shipping, and when you list the others in a few weeks I'll buy some more and pay for them along with the combined postage"?

In other words - I'll pay for the books now, you hang on to them, and if I buy others or not, send me a combined shipping bill when I see your new ones?

July 17
BUYER:
I would not have an issue making the payment if you need the money as you insist... I would just ask if you could hold off on shipping so I can bid on additional listings when you do post and take advantage of combined shipping?

You could read it that way maybe?

Regardless, the buyer certainly could have been much clearer if that's what he meant. Hopefully he paid eventually :foryou:

it is exactly what he meant, it is very clear to me.

It is unfortunate Ebay's automated unpaid claim intervened.