• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this eBay buyer just trolling me or am I being unreasonable?

65 posts in this topic

I honestly don't remember activating the non-paying bidder auto function, and I told the buyer that. I would have been happy to research into how to disable it and continue dialogue but then conversation took a turn for the worse and he starting accusing me of jerking him around.

After asking me for scans of every book I still had available (after telling him he could find them in my closed auctions), I just didn't have any more patience for the buyer.

And after terminating the conversation with the buyer, he still hasn't paid...

Edited by NamesJay

2 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

I honestly don't remember activating the non-paying bidder auto function, and I told the buyer that. I would have been happy to research into how to disable it and continue dialogue but then conversation took a turn for the worse and he starting accusing me of jerking him around.

After asking me for scans of every book I still had available (after telling him he could find them in my closed auctions), I just didn't have any more patience for the buyer.

you didnt do anything wrong.

41 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

If someone isn't home they can pay for an item on their smart phone using the eBay app. I do this all the time when I win auctions and I'm not at my computer. It literally takes less than a minute.

If you're a Luddite, I got nothing for ya (shrug)

So you admit your prejudiced against luddites?

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I didn't know Luddites were a "race" (shrug)

Don't blame me for your ignorance. (shrug)

Edited by lizards2

Just now, Logan510 said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Don't blame me for your ignorance. (shrug)

dang

Or racism.

Just now, Logan510 said:
Just now, kav said:

lizards you're causing a lot of danging (tsk)

:sorry: 

not really, but.., 

:sorry: 

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm losing track of all the danging and x 1000ing

2c

mathIsHard_zps76e9f5ad.jpg

1 hour ago, NamesJay said:

That doesn't jive with what you originally wrote to the buyer:

I did not open an unpaid items case. eBay did that on their own. If there is some setting that I must change in order for that not to take place, it really isn't worth my time finding it. It's a good measure (in my opinion) taken by eBay to make sure sellers get paid for their auctions.

(emphasis added)

That's what you reported saying to the buyer, after the Unpaid Item Cases were opened. The buyer was clearly upset at the unpaid item cases being opened against them, and your response was not "oh, sorry about that, that's automatic. Let me close those while we work this out." or "sorry about that, it's automatically set. However, I have to manually close it, so I'll hold off on doing that until we can reach a deal for the additional books you're interested in."

Your response was this:

First of all, you must not have been around eBay for very long, because eBay automatically opens unpaid bidder cases after payment hasn't been made over the course of several days.

...basically telling the buyer he was an ignorant newb. And you can say the buyer had a bit of a hostile tone by saying they "do not like playing games or being jerked around." But look at it from the buyer's perspective: they got unpaid item cases opened against them, which is reserved for DEADBEATS who don't pay up, while they were in the middle of trying to negotiate with you (aka, not acting like a deadbeat.)

Instead of defusing the situation, you added more fire to it.

Now, I'm not saying these things to make you look bad, or to say you're wrong and the buyer is right. You asked for opinions, and I respect you and this board...as I always have...enough to give you my honest opinion, rather than just blowing smoke up your arse and telling you what you want to hear, like some do as if their lives depended on it. You don't have to agree with me...but it's worth consideration, no?