• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grimjack

11 posts in this topic

I didn't see any mention of this, so I apologize if I missed something. 

But the Russo Brothers announced at Comic Con that they are producing a GrimJack movie for Amazon. 

https://deadline.com/2019/07/russo-brothers-agbo-studios-developing-grimjack-comics-adapting-japanese-anime-battle-of-the-planets-comic-con-1202649229/

Personally, I've been saying for years that Grimjack would make a great TV series for someone like Amazon or HBO. I'm a huge fan of the comics. I also happened to get 5 or 6 copies of his first appearance last week for 30 cents each, so I guess this is good timing. But mostly I'm just stoked at the possibility of seeing this on the big screen — or any screen at all. 

I did take a quick look at ebay, and it looks like all the cheap BIN copies of Starslayer #10 for like $3 each were sold earlier today, and now we're in speculation mode - like four copies have sold tonight for prices of $30, $33, $38, and $60. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Crimebuster

i liked grimjack too when i was a young man, though honestly i remember it for the art more than the writing. time to go back and see if the stories hold up. hope the series will be good...seems like comic based series so far have been a real mixed bag. 

I just read the whole series for the first time about 5 years ago. For me, the stories definitely hold up. There are a few elements that are occasionally mildly dated — there's an issue with a Michael Jackson lookalike, for instance, and there was a late 80's/early 90's grim-n-gritty reboot that, while still good and pretty interesting in its own way, bordered at times on too much — but the stories are really solid throughout, for my money. I'm less enamored of the Munden's Bar backup feature, which allowed guest creators to bring their characters into Grimjack's world for humorous crossovers, but that feature has its moments as well. 

3 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

I just read the whole series for the first time about 5 years ago. For me, the stories definitely hold up. There are a few elements that are occasionally mildly dated — there's an issue with a Michael Jackson lookalike, for instance, and there was a late 80's/early 90's grim-n-gritty reboot that, while still good and pretty interesting in its own way, bordered at times on too much — but the stories are really solid throughout, for my money. I'm less enamored of the Munden's Bar backup feature, which allowed guest creators to bring their characters into Grimjack's world for humorous crossovers, but that feature has its moments as well. 

For me, Munden's Bar was what pushed the book up to great rather than just good.  It was a wonderful way to develop the world of Cynosure, and the variety of creators and characters wandering through was amazing.  It wasn't that the backups were better than the main story, it was the combination that built the world so well.  And Munden's wasn't always funny and the main story wasn't always serious... just more often than not.

Looking forward to see what they do with the movie.

Grimjack from John Ostrander and Tim Truman (his 1st professional work) is so worth reading. But as was revealed by John Ostrander in Grimjack #75, there was a cameo prior to his 1st full appearance as a gag.

Grimjack01.PNG.5f5c27cdf05292ffdc715d178f42adb4.PNG

Eh. I know he revealed years later that this "cameo" was supposed to be Grimjack, but there's a reason nobody noticed, and it's because it's just a vague outline in the shadows that could be anybody. It's not even a cameo. It's just, like, a shape in the background. 

14 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Eh. I know he revealed years later that this "cameo" was supposed to be Grimjack, but there's a reason nobody noticed, and it's because it's just a vague outline in the shadows that could be anybody. It's not even a cameo. It's just, like, a shape in the background. 

Define a cameo? A brief appearance. Kind of like Darkseid,and his 1st cameo appearance in Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 which is a panel.

Darkseid01.PNG.03d8dca6bd8f21a4c7c640646eba950b.PNG

John Ostrander removes the 'supposed' assumption by clarifying in Grimjack #75's commentary page Grimjack starts out in Warp #5's backup story.

Grimjack_cameo01.PNG.fdcb5b51277312c2af90145ff375426e.PNG

Hence, a comic book cameo versus the 1st full appearance in a backstory within Starslayer #10. :foryou:

Edited by Bosco685

Sure, I'm not arguing with you exactly. What you are saying is correct. :)

I'm just saying that this is maybe the absolute lamest "first appearance" in comic book history, even in terms of a cameo. It's significantly worse than that one panel of Darkseid even. At least there, it's recognizably him, and there's a name. It's somehow even worse than the Crossbones cameo in Captain America #359, where his shadow is at least the same shape as Crossbones, and he has a thought balloon. And while Doomsday is just a fist in Man of Steel #17, at least he's punching something - taking an action!

Part of the issue here with Warp #5 — just one part! — is that the character was re-designed by Tim Truman after this initial "cameo" was done by Lenin Delsol. So we're left with a single panel which has an unidentifiable shape in it. 

In terms of "first appearances," this is maybe the least relevant ever. Just my personal opinion. 

Here's the appearance in question. 

grimjack.thumb.jpg.270b179027574c7d184038023c168cd1.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

39 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Sure, I'm not arguing with you exactly. What you are saying is correct. :)

I'm just saying that this is maybe the absolute lamest "first appearance" in comic book history, even in terms of a cameo. It's significantly worse than that one panel of Darkseid even. At least there, it's recognizably him, and there's a name. It's somehow even worse than the Crossbones cameo in Captain America #359, where his shadow is at least the same shape as Crossbones, and he has a thought balloon. And while Doomsday is just a fist in Man of Steel #17, at least he's punching something - taking an action!

Part of the issue here with Warp #5 — just one part! — is that the character was re-designed by Tim Truman after this initial "cameo" was done by Lenin Delsol. So we're left with a single panel which has an unidentifiable shape in it. 

In terms of "first appearances," this is maybe the least relevant ever. Just my personal opinion. 

Here's the appearance in question. 

Spoiler

grimjack.thumb.jpg.270b179027574c7d184038023c168cd1.jpg

I agree with you some cameos are much more limited than others. Unfortunately, we don't have a cameo ruler to compare a book appearance to so as to gauge if it qualifies for a full cameo or not. And in this case, it is part of a story versus an advertisement (Starslayer #1 with the Rocketeer), promotion artwork (Deadworld #10 with The Crow) or even prototype appearances (Dime Press #4 with Hellboy). Or with Gambit, a story being release out-of-order and being noted as a cameo and yet it is pages upon pages of appearances in X-Men Annual #14 to account for why it plays out after Uncanny X-Men #266. That latter is the lamest cameo argument.

So 'lamest cameo' can be a tough rule of thumb to determine. :foryou:

Edited by Bosco685