• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,112 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

It's basically ignoring everything Krasinki's done in the last decade, including Promised Land (mediocre anti-fracking movie w/ Matt Damon - but which Krasinski also co-wrote), 13 Hours, A Quiet Place (which he also co-wrote and directed), and Jack Ryan.

Discounting him for once playing Jim in The Office is like discounting Woody Harrelson because he once starred as Woody on Cheers.

For me, it's not just the fact that he's first and foremost Jim from the Office. I think it's Krasinski himself.

When the MCU casts for its heroes, yes, it casts folks who can act and convey emotions and be natural and all that. But it also more importantly casts the "person." For the main heroes particularly, the MCU doesn't cast character actors, but actors who are basically good at being themselves. Tony Stark is essentially Robert Downey Jr. Scott Lang is basically Paul Rudd unfiltered. The Carol Danvers we saw in Captain Marvel is basically Brie Larson. Peter Quill is really just Chris Pratt himself. Yes, Tom Holland is rocking an American accent, but as Peter Parker, he's still kind of just being Tom Holland. That seems to be an MO in the MCU, have the actors bring a lot of themselves to the roles.

So the John Krasinski that you see on talk shows, on his current social media show, is very close to the Reed Richards you'll get. That's how I see it. And given that, I just don't see him as the old Reed Richards I know from the comics.

Plus he's too tall.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

For me, it's not just the fact that he's first and foremost Jim from the Office. I think it's Krasinski himself.

When the MCU casts for its heroes, yes, it casts folks who can act and convey emotions and be natural and all that. But it also more importantly casts the "person." For the main heroes particularly, the MCU doesn't cast character actors, but actors who are basically good at being themselves. Tony Stark is essentially Robert Downey Jr. Scott Lang is basically Paul Rudd unfiltered. The Carol Danvers we saw in Captain Marvel is basically Brie Larson. Peter Quill is really just Chris Pratt himself. Yes, Tom Holland is rocking an American accent, but as Peter Parker, he's still kind of just being Tom Holland. That seems to be an MO in the MCU, have the actors bring a lot of themselves to the roles.

So the John Krasinski that you see on talk shows, on his current social media show, is very close to the Reed Richards you'll get. That's how I see it. And given that, I just don't see him as the old Reed Richards I know from the comics.

Plus he's too tall.

Interesting thought.

But again - it discounts that Krasinski has morphed from a character actor funnyman to a legit action star over the last seven years (again, see his roles in 13 Hours, A Quiet Place and Jack Ryan).

Other actors who have made such a transition?

• Bruce Willis  - people forget he was known as a comedian and funny guy from his role in Moonlighting before he did Die Hard.
  • Tom Hanks - seriously - the guy from Bosom Buddies and Bachelor Party is now far better known for his dramatic roles in films like Philadelphia, Apollo 13 and Captain Phillips.
  • Bradley Cooper - he got his start as the nerdy friend on Alias.

More importantly, I'm not convinced that the "Jim" we saw on The Office was anything close to his true character - I think he was absolutely acting there, where he has far more of a legit drama background. It's just his most famous and longest-running role.

Plus, I mentioned his co-scripting of those films (not counting the forthcoming A Quiet Place 2) mostly because a lot of folks don't know he has a playwriting degree from Brown.

17 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Interesting thought.

But again - it discounts that Krasinski has morphed from a character actor funnyman to a legit action star over the last seven years (again, see his roles in 13 Hours, A Quiet Place and Jack Ryan).

Other actors who have made such a transition?

• Bruce Willis  - people forget he was known as a comedian and funny guy from his role in Moonlighting before he did Die Hard.
  • Tom Hanks - seriously - the guy from Bosom Buddies and Bachelor Party is now far better known for his dramatic roles in films like Philadelphia, Apollo 13 and Captain Phillips.
  • Bradley Cooper - he got his start as the nerdy friend on Alias.

More importantly, I'm not convinced that the "Jim" we saw on The Office was anything close to his true character - I think he was absolutely acting there, where he has far more of a legit drama background. It's just his most famous and longest-running role.

Plus, I mentioned his co-scripting of those films (not counting the forthcoming A Quiet Place 2) mostly because a lot of folks don't know he has a playwriting degree from Brown.

I see Bruce Willis and Tom Hanks as guys who have basically played the same character throughout their films. From Moonlighting to Die Hard to Pulp Fiction, Bruce Willis, to me, maintains the same mannerisms and traits throughout. When you hire Tom Hanks for a movie, you hire “Tom Hanks”, not a chameleon actor who disappears into character. 
But we can agree to disagree. And if they do indeed have their eye on Krasinski as Mr Fantastic then I guess I’d have to learn to love it because I’m with the MCU to the end of the line.

Either way, it’s all moot if the filmmakers repeat the FF mistakes of the past (which I don’t think they will). A good start might be not making their MCU debut another FF origin movie and not starting off with Doctor Doom as the villain.

Doom could handle a film of his own for his origin. Reed could be in it for college scenes (could even be different actor than FF movie since it is a younger Reed) and then all Doom, his mom, science and sorcery, Latveria etc.

I myself continue to hold out hope for a Dr Strange Dr Doom Triumph & Torment movie, the graphic novel is an excellent storyboard for a full movie.

As far as Reed goes, JK would be okay I guess.Whomever it is they need chemistry with the other 3, that is the key to the story.

Edited by Bird

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Either way, it’s all moot if the filmmakers repeat the FF mistakes of the past (which I don’t think they will). A good start might be not making their MCU debut another FF origin movie and not starting off with Doctor Doom as the villain.

Agree with you there.

I'm *really* not convinced the FF can translate well to film, but if Disney could make a solid film out of Guardians of the Galaxy, I reckon anything's possible.

We don't need to see the origin of the team again - we've already seen that three times. And yes - I think they should give Doctor Doom a rest (although I really liked Julian McMahon's portrayal). 

As much as people love to hate on Tim Story's FF films, they did a lot right, including:

• Julian McMahon as Doom
  • Michael Chiklis as The Thing
  • The characterization of and acting by Chris Evans as the Human Torch
  • The writing and characterization of the Silver Surfer

I honestly think these films get unfairly maligned simply because they were pre-Iron Man and not part of the superhero renaissance or the MCU.

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I see Bruce Willis and Tom Hanks as guys who have basically played the same character throughout their films.

What films have you seen starring Tom Hanks?

(shrug)

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

What films have you seen starring Tom Hanks?

(shrug)

Bridge of Spies is America's Dad working out a prisoner swap with Russia. Saving Private Ryan is America's Dad in his younger years as an Army officer. Forrest Gump is America's Dad as a not very smart man. Yeah, Hanks plays different characters, but he still basically plays himself. It's the Hollywood star system. A lot of A-list actors in Hollywood are A-list because they're good at playing themselves.

That seems to be particularly true in the MCU, where the Earthling human heroes kind of just play themselves, whether it's RDJ, Paul Rudd, ScarJo, Brie Larson, Chris Pratt, or Mark Ruffalo. And what I'm saying is, even though I'm sure John Krasinski can bring the emotion and realistic natural acting to the role, the Reed Richards we'd get would basically be John Krasinski. And John Krasinski, whether he's gritting his teeth or crying or beating the heck out of somebody, just doesn't come off to me as the most intelligent human being in the Marvel universe.

48 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Bridge of Spies is America's Dad working out a prisoner swap with Russia. Saving Private Ryan is America's Dad in his younger years as an Army officer. Forrest Gump is America's Dad as a not very smart man. Yeah, Hanks plays different characters, but he still basically plays himself. It's the Hollywood star system. A lot of A-list actors in Hollywood are A-list because they're good at playing themselves.

That seems to be particularly true in the MCU, where the Earthling human heroes kind of just play themselves, whether it's RDJ, Paul Rudd, ScarJo, Brie Larson, Chris Pratt, or Mark Ruffalo. And what I'm saying is, even though I'm sure John Krasinski can bring the emotion and realistic natural acting to the role, the Reed Richards we'd get would basically be John Krasinski. And John Krasinski, whether he's gritting his teeth or crying or beating the heck out of somebody, just doesn't come off to me as the most intelligent human being in the Marvel universe.

:facepalm:

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Strongly disagree re: Tom Hanks. 

8 minutes ago, piper said:

Strongly disagree re: Tom Hanks. 

Robert DeNiro disappears into his characters. So do Al Pacino, Daniel Day Lewis, and Christian Bale. 
Tom Hanks doesn’t. IMO, he plays the same guy in Bosom Buddies to Splash to Castaway, that is, himself. Maybe the one movie he really stretches it is Philadelphia.

54 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Robert DeNiro disappears into his characters. So do Al Pacino, Daniel Day Lewis, and Christian Bale. 
Tom Hanks doesn’t. IMO, he plays the same guy in Bosom Buddies to Splash to Castaway, that is, himself. Maybe the one movie he really stretches it is Philadelphia.

68C00A76-363B-4FE4-A0F7-C4AA7EF40D64.gif.b7a34f1179a9c5da13ccd132fa29362c.gif

20 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I see Bruce Willis and Tom Hanks as guys who have basically played the same character throughout their films.

What? Tom Hanks has almost never played the same character twice. He absolutely becomes the characters he's playing. This isn't even an opinion, it's just flat out wrong.

9 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I so love when you share such opinions. At least it brings discussion. You should poke the bear more.

emotion01.gif.3b66f5233e165d1fb61a78cbfc80abe2.gif

:baiting: