• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
3 3

552 posts in this topic

Marvel Studios just shocked fans with the announcement of their Phase 4 slate -- but it also dropped a pretty major tease for what could come. ComicBook.com was on hand for the panel, where Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige teased that there isn't enough time to talk about the post-2021 projects the studio has in the works -- including movies about the Fantastic Four and mutants.

This comes after Disney's acquisition of Fox completed earlier this year, raising the question of when Fox's previously-owned Marvel characters would be able to enter the flagship franchise.

“Not until we’re given the word,” Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige explained last year of plans with the Fox characters. “I have vague dreams and vague ideas. But right now, bringing to life the 10,000-plus characters that Marvel fully controls is what the gameplan is.”

"That whole Disney buying Fox deal is- none of us saw that coming, and we're amazed and excited, because we always dreamed of having the X-Men and Fantastic Four in the MCU, but nothing's actually been decided or announced," Marvel Studios Visual Design Supervisor Andy Park told ComicBook.com. "So, I have nothing to spill, 'cause I don't even know what the future is. The only thing I've read … these thing are going to take at least 12 months to 18 months for something to even happen."

For many Marvel fans, the addition of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men into the franchise has been a matter of if, not when, considering the characters' popularity within the Marvel Comics canon. And while it sounds like it'll be a few years more until we hear what Marvel has in store for those properties, it sounds like the wait is worth it.

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Solo X-Men films leading up to an X-Men team-up film like the Avengers could actually work.

But I'm not sure it needs to be dragged out too much. It worked in 1963 as a straight team story, and the same with the first film in 2000 becoming a huge hit.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

But I'm not sure it needs to be dragged out too much. It worked in 1963 as a straight team story, and the same with the first film in 2000 becoming a huge hit.

It would be different from the prior franchise, though, and that separation in and of itself could bring a lot of positive attention. We already saw it done 1 way. I'd be more interested in seeing it done another.

They could even do more duos instead of solos, like "Iceman and Colossus" or something, and lead those friendships into the big team-up. I think that different is what will draw the crowds (especially those down on Phase 4 like I am).

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It would be different from the prior franchise, though, and that separation in and of itself could bring a lot of positive attention. We already saw it done 1 way. I'd be more interested in seeing it done another.

They could even do more duos instead of solos, like "Iceman and Colossus" or something, and lead those friendships into the big team-up. I think that different is what will draw the crowds (especially those down on Phase 4 like I am).

I guess the difference here with the MCU is the X-Men also don't have to come together on their own as a team since it has the much larger Marvel Universe to associate with.

But I do like the 'World's Finest' type approach too where you focus on just a small portion for a Disney+ show to warm people up. Use this to then launch the new team.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I guess the difference here with the MCU is the X-Men also don't have to come together on their own as a team since it has the much larger Marvel Universe to associate with.

But I do like the 'World's Finest' type approach too where you focus on just a small portion for a Disney+ show to warm people up. Use this to then launch the new team.

:censored: Disney+.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

:censored: Disney+.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

:roflmao:

But seriously. For the sake of not having to wait 5-8 years for all these films to play out and stumble on top of one another's release schedules this new outlet for the MCU complements the plan. Films can still come out parallel to these short shows, bringing characters forward much sooner.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

But seriously. For the sake of not having to wait 5-8 years for all these films to play out and stumble on top of one another's release schedules this new outlet for the MCU complements the plan. Films can still come out parallel to these short shows, bringing characters forward much sooner.

They should be more concerned with genre fatigue, rather than doing a 180 on that, cramming characters and stories down our throats through multiple media. I had to tell all of my family and friends that I'm not taking them to the movies anymore lol.

I've heard people suggest that Marvel may make the Eternals film the back story for how the X-Men suddenly emerge, that they carry the "Deviant" gene that Thanos has that made him a mutant on Titan.  I have no opinion because I wasn't aware of the Eternals, Deviants, or the fact that Thanos or human mutants could at all related to any of that until recently.

I wonder how much of this thinking will influence the go-forward team reference and structure.

Marvel Studios Producer Says X-Men Name Is “Outdated”

Marvel Studios EVP of Production Victoria Alonso believes the name “X-Men” is “outdated.”

“I don’t know where the future is going,” Alonso told Nuke the Fridge when promoting the Captain Marvel home release. “It’s funny that people call it the X-Men. There’s a lot of female superheroes in that X-Men group, so I think it’s outdated.”

Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) in Dark Phoenix would agree: “The women are always saving the men around here,” she snarls during a terse confrontation with Charles Xavier (James McAvoy). “You might want to think about changing the name to X-Women.”

Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) earlier called out the “blatant sexism” behind the team’s name in Deadpool 2, where he quipped his “forward-thinking” and “gender neutral” mostly mutant team would be called “X-Force.”

But “X-Men” is expected to remain in place when Disney-owned Marvel Studios relaunches the franchise under chief Kevin Feige following Disney’s $71.3 billion acquisition of Fox.

“I don’t know where it’s going to go,” admitted Alonso, who acted as producer on Captain Marveland Avengers: Endgame. “We’ll see. They just now have joined [the Marvel Cinematic Universe]. They actually have a movie coming out very soon, which is under [the Fox] banner. It’s their last film. We’ll see. Time will tell.”