• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
3 3

547 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Too old and it's clear they want someone who is visibly a POC.  

They will probably go with a "safe" updating by taking the MLK/Malcolm X parallels more literally and casting at least one African-American in these roles, but, if they had any balls, they would make at least one of the characters Muslim and from the Middle East.  If Andrew wants human misery worthy of a topical, modern-day Magneto origin story updating, that's clearly where you have to go, especially since there is also a built-in conflict between those preaching violence and non-violence.

That would definitely work. I feel that the human misery factor is what twists Magneto.  He needs to feel as if humankind is evil as he has witnessed firsthand the evil that man is capable of.  Once he finds out that he is not of humankind then he can see himself as the future and humans as what is holding him back. 

On 9/14/2019 at 5:14 PM, Buzzetta said:

That would definitely work. I feel that the human misery factor is what twists Magneto.  He needs to feel as if humankind is evil as he has witnessed firsthand the evil that man is capable of.  Once he finds out that he is not of humankind then he can see himself as the future and humans as what is holding him back. 

Thinking of it another way.  They may have to change up the X-Men in a dramatic way since most of the the Fox X-men movies were pretty good with good casting. We will all be comparing Fox X-Men to MCU X-men no matter how hard we try not too. It's not like Fantastic Four where the bar is very low.

14 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Thinking of it another way.  They may have to change up the X-Men in a dramatic way since most of the the Fox X-men movies were pretty good with good casting. We will all be comparing Fox X-Men to MCU X-men no matter how hard we try not too. It's not like Fantastic Four where the bar is very low.

When it comes to Wolverine, Magneto and Professor X I agree with you.  I was surprised how well Fox cast those movies and then recast those roles starting with First Class. Fassbender may "cringe" in having played Magneto but I thought he was phenomenal. 

The others?  If not for IMDB, I forget who played most of the other roles or they are also easily replaceable. 

To those that hated Hugh Jackman though?  I don't know if Disney is capable of finding someone that can do what Jackman did from 2000-2017.  In fact I challenge Disney to find someone that can get into shape like that for a movie and cheerfully do it.  I think the Jackman fans are in for a rude awakening as I do not believe there will ever be another actor like Jackman in a comic movie again.  Even RDJ tapped out after 12 years. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

When it comes to Wolverine, Magneto and Professor X I agree with you.  I was surprised how well Fox cast those movies and then recast those roles starting with First Class. Fassbender may "cringe" in having played Magneto but I thought he was phenomenal. 

The others?  If not for IMDB, I forget who played most of the other roles or they are also easily replaceable. 

To those that hated Hugh Jackman though?  I don't know if Disney is capable of finding someone that can do what Jackman did from 2000-2017.  In fact I challenge Disney to find someone that can get into shape like that for a movie and cheerfully do it.  I think the Jackman fans are in for a rude awakening as I do not believe there will ever be another actor like Jackman in a comic movie again.  Even RDJ tapped out after 12 years. 

Don't forget Brain Cox as Stryker! He was A++ in the role!

7 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Food for thought - how about they just skip Magneto for a change?  Part of my beef with the X-Men movies is that he never went away.  Give Erik L. a vacation already.

If this was the Spider-Man franchise then I would agree as it would be nice not to see the Green Goblin every film. 

Every character has its core traits that individualize them from other characters.  For Captain America that is being a man out of time bringing the virtue of yesteryear into today. For Spider-Man it’s about how with great power must come great responsibility even if you are the ‘little guy’

X-Men has always been about the oppression of a group of people due to the way they are born and how they should react to that oppression.  I don’t think you can have a Professor X without a Magneto. 

To paraphrase Mike Francesca (NY sports guys will get this.) When the X-Men don’t have Magneto they are the Avengers but when they do have Magneto they are the X-Men.  

Then suddenly fall asleep with a Diet Coke in hand. 

12 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Food for thought - how about they just skip Magneto for a change?  Part of my beef with the X-Men movies is that he never went away.  Give Erik L. a vacation already.

I'm with you on this.  I understand fully Magneto is a cornerstone to the X-Men comic-book and movie franchise but there's nothing wrong with going with Mr. Sinister, MODOK, or hell, even Mojo.

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

The local sports station here in Chicago has a field day with Francesca sound bites lol

To clarify to those that have no idea what we are talking about, by soundbites you mean 'snoring'.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

The only thing I do care about is when it comes to Magneto.  I would like to see him retain his origin of being in a concentration camp as that is a major determining factor toward his world view and disconnect toward non-mutants.   If not the holocaust then there needs to be something else that is comparable. 

That would be the main reason you'd have to cast Magneto as a person of color; virtually all of the genocides since 1950 that possibly involved more than a million deaths are people of color.  To make the modern Magneto be somewhere from his 30s to his 50s, this is the list of genocides you have to choose from:

• Indonesia 1965-1966 (up to 3 million deaths)
  • Bangladesh 1971 (up to 3 million deaths)
  • Cambodia 1975-1979 (up to 3 million deaths)
  • Rwanda 1994 (up to 1 million deaths)

On 9/14/2019 at 4:07 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I'd say go with a Native American.  If they are going through a check list that's one group that is not in the plans as of yet. 

How do you write Magneto into being a Native American?  I'm sure there's a way, but he'd be quite different since they weren't wiped out specifically because of who they were but because of the land they occupied.  Seems like apples and oranges in translating Magneto's origins into societal bigotry against mutants.

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

In fact I challenge Disney to find someone that can get into shape like that for a movie and cheerfully do it. 

Is he any buffer than Hemsworth?  I thought they went for definition and insanely low body fat percentage with Jackman which is why he's more veiny, whereas with Hemsworth they went for more bulk and less definition.

Watch-Chris-Hemsworth-Flex-His-Muscles-i

13 hours ago, mattn792 said:

He's by far the most popular X-villain ever, and more importantly he's Malcolm X to Xavier's Martin Luther King.  Difficult to imagine X-Men without Magneto.

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Is he any buffer than Hemsworth?  I thought they went for definition and insanely low body fat percentage with Jackman which is why he's more veiny, whereas with Hemsworth they went for more bulk and less definition.

Watch-Chris-Hemsworth-Flex-His-Muscles-i

Definitely another actor that transformed himself physically to further enhance their portrayal.

But it is wild how far Hugh Jackman took his body to stand out as Logan/Wolverine. Even reaching out to Dwayne Johnson for dieting advice.

HughJackman01.JPG.086c88ed775f9f79f28fd1d6ae5cb56f.JPG

Latest is, Professor X and Magneto are to be POC!

Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, my friends, who are black say it's a terrible idea and can't understand why they just don't create new characters if they want this.

Sounds bad for X-Men already, maybe, maybe FOX should have sold to SONY :-(

2 minutes ago, herc2000 said:

Latest is, Professor X and Magneto are to be POC!

Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, my friends, who are black say it's a terrible idea and can't understand why they just don't create new characters if they want this.

Sounds bad for X-Men already, maybe, maybe FOX should have sold to SONY :-(

It worked for Nick Fury (and Heimdall).

Or...did you prefer David Hasselhoff in the role?