• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
3 3

554 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

At the start of the video he says they had already been shooting for weeks when he started, and the reason for that is they originally had another actor cast as Wolverine.  Dougray Scott was supposed to play the role, but he was working on Mission Impossible.  He originally thought he could fit both films in, but Tom Cruise refused to change his shooting schedule to accommodate Dougray playing Wolverine, so Dougray had to drop out.

He looks good at being pissed in the first pic below, but I've never seen him in a film so I don't know what his acting is like.  Like Jackman at 6' 1.5" Scott is far too tall for Wolverine at 5' 11".  I like Jackman a lot and still place Logan in the top five superhero films ever, but I'm not terribly nostalgic for him in the role.  He's nowhere close to ideal as Logan for two reasons--he's far too big, and he's at best OK at playing someone with feral rage.  A young Sonny Landham in the second pic below from Predator is still my ideal look and demeanor for Wolverine, but he, too, was too big at about 6' 2".

I fully expect to like the next Wolverine far more than Jackman if they find the right guy, but we'll see.

Dougray-Scott-Hugh-Jackman-Wolverine.jpg

ee7286455998264bc3084ef932df1c4d.png&qua

Yeah, I seem to remember comic book faithfuls having issues with Hugh Jackman initially in the role. But outside of those dissenting opinions, Jackman was iconic in the role. In fact, I'd dare say Jackman's casting as Logan is one of those turning points in history where if a different person had gotten the role, the world would be much different today. Kind of like how Tom Selleck was almost Indiana Jones.

5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

At the start of the video he says they had already been shooting for weeks when he started, and the reason for that is they originally had another actor cast as Wolverine.  Dougray Scott was supposed to play the role, but he was working on Mission Impossible.  He originally thought he could fit both films in, but Tom Cruise refused to change his shooting schedule to accommodate Dougray playing Wolverine, so Dougray had to drop out.

He looks good at being pissed in the first pic below, but I've never seen him in a film so I don't know what his acting is like.  Like Jackman at 6' 1.5" Scott is far too tall for Wolverine at 5' 11".  I like Jackman a lot and still place Logan in the top five superhero films ever, but I'm not terribly nostalgic for him in the role.  He's nowhere close to ideal as Logan for two reasons--he's far too big, and he's at best OK at playing someone with feral rage.  A young Sonny Landham in the second pic below from Predator is still my ideal look and demeanor for Wolverine, but he, too, was too big at about 6' 2".

I fully expect to like the next Wolverine far more than Jackman if they find the right guy, but we'll see.

Days of Future Past with Hugh Jackman is an incredible film before Logan came about. And with The Wolverine, other than Act Three that is so much of Wolverine's wild backstory. Love what he did with the character.

Logan's breakout star, Dafne Keen, would love to play X-23 in a future MCU project. Keen's first ever feature film role came in Logan, where she played young mutant Laura. Code-named X-23, Laura is revealed to be the daughter of Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), having been conceived with his DNA. As a result, the two share the same powers. It's because of those powers that Laura spends much of Logan being hunted by Donald Pierce (Boyd Holbrook) and his Reavers. Keen's performance, much like the rest of Logan, was extremely well-received by critics and audiences, with many singling her out as one of the best parts of the film.

Keen, who has since gone on to star in the series His Dark Materials, recently spoke to ComicBook.com about her Logan character. When asked if she would play Laura again for the MCU if given the opportunity, Keen's response was a resounding affirmative. "Yes, definitely. 100 percent," Keen said.

:wishluck:

The problem with X-23 is that she's a clone of Wolverine, so ideally Marvel casts a man as Wolverine and a woman as X-23 who are extremely similar to each other.  If they go with a short Wolverine Keen may end up being too large for the role given that her parents are 5' 11" and 5' 9", and even if she turns out short there's the additional requirement of at least somewhat resembling whoever they cast as Logan.

But if they ignore all of that and cast them both regardless of their similarity to the comic characters or each other then I do hope they cast her again...she did great.

The Boys’ Aya Cash may play the appalling Stormfront, but Cash is a joy. And we want to see her in more comic book related projects. In an interview with Screen Geek, Cash was asked about interest in future comic-book related movies. Such as Marvel and the eventual introduction of the X-Men. When asked if that’s something that she would be interested in, Cash responded:

“Great! Tell them to call me. I’m available. Yeah, I mean, I’m not opposed to doing any job at this moment. I mean, you know, we’re in a pandemic, sure. (Jokingly) Career goals out the window, let’s work. I grew up on X-Men. So, in my fantasy world, I’d be in that universe, the Phoenix Rising. I would have loved to be a part of the X-Men world. And if there’s another opportunity – X-Men Geriatrics – they can come to me whenever.”

Cash added:

“I mean, I did just mention Jean Grey.”

Considering Cash is playing a gender-swapped version of Stormfront in The Boys, she proposed that she would be open to playing another gender-swapped character in the future:

“Yeah, but I also, I mean, my favorite character in all of the X-Men universe was always Beast. So, if we’re going to do gender swap – no, they would kill me. I don’t even want to do a gender swap.”

To finalize her thoughts of who she’d want to play in the X-Men category, Cash added:

“I’d do Rogue, Jean Grey, and Beast for my pick.”

Kevin Feige says that discussions are ongoing as to when the X-Men will make their MCU debut after Disney’s history acquisition of 20th Century Fox.

According to MCU mastermind Kevin Feige, talks of how to integrate the X-Men into the MCU are ongoing. The X-Men film series’ original home was 20th Century Fox. At that studio, the franchise produced 13 films and brought in over $6 billion in box office receipts. Credited as the advent of superhero films as we know them today, the original X-Men film featured Ian McKellen as Magneto, Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier, and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Those three became mainstays in the franchise that eventually saw several spinoffs and sequels that brought onboard new characters.

Disney famously acquired 20th Century Fox in 2019 in a landmark merger. The move saw Disney swallow up all of 20th Century Fox’s IP, including their rights to the X-Men and other characters that had been outside of their reach. Questions lingered after the massive deal as to when characters like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four would make their debuts in the MCU. While Disney announced their first Fantastic Four film at their 2020 Investor’s Day, they remain tight-lipped on the status of the X-Men.

Now, Feige has told Screen Rant the status of Marvel’s work on bringing the X-Men into the fold. Feige professed his love for the X-Men, saying that was his starting point for introducing them to the MCU. He goes on to say that, while he can’t say anything before any official announcements, he says that discussions have been long and are currently ongoing at the studio.

Screen Rant: At Disney Investor Day, you announced that Fantastic Four is happening. When will we see the X-Men?

Kevin Feige: You know how much I love the X-Men. I already said that's where I started. I can't tell you anything before we actually announced it, but rest assured, the discussions have been long and ongoing internally.

The introduction of the X-Men into the MCU is highly anticipated, not only because of their iconic comics run, but because of their landmark films, as well. The original X-Men films introduced comic book movies to the general public alongside Sam Raimi’s original Spider-Man trilogy. It’s safe to say that, because of them, we have the MCU and DCEU as we know them today. While not all of the films were successful, they’ve had some massive hits.

Patrick Stewart Reveals Conversation With Kevin Feige About The X-Men In The MCU, And Why He Passed

Over his seven decades as an actor, Patrick Stewart has played many memorable roles. One of his most notable has been Professor Charles Xavier in the X-Men film series. Stewart’s portrayal has been praised by fans and critics alike across five movies. Recently, the actor revealed he talked with Kevin Feige about the X-Men joining the MCU, and why he passed on the opportunity.

For over two decades, Marvel fans have loved and cherished Patrick Stewart as OG Professor Charles Xavier (sorry, James McAvoy). The celebrated actor has played the iconic Marvel character over several movies throughout the years. While being interviewed by Digital Spy, Stewart talked about playing Professor Xavier and his experience filming 2017’s Logan. He spoke on a conversation he had with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige.

"I met with Kevin Feige a couple of months ago and we had long, long conversations. And there have been moves and suggestions, which include Charles Xavier. Here’s the problem… If we had not made Logan, then yes. I would probably be ready to get into that wheelchair one more time and be Charles Xavier. But Logan changed all that."

Patrick Stewart might have been right to turn down the chance to play Professor X again after the character’s death in Logan. While the actor has solid reasoning, it’s still sad to not see him play the character one more time. Hugh Jackman also similarly retired from his role as Wolverine after filming James Mangold's Oscar nominated comic book movie.

So it looks like Feige was considering bringing one of the original X-Men actors back via the MCU. Interesting.

Marvel Studios is currently developing a X-Men based feature film tentatively titled, The Mutants.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is well known to be at the start of its biggest expansion to date with Phase 4. This is kicking off with the highly anticipated season finale of WandaVision before five more Disney+ shows and four full-length movies arrive in 2021.

2022 has a confirmed dozen new entries as well, and after that, the MCU’s future becomes just the slightest bit more uncertain. Thankfully, fans are aware of two more major projects on the way in 2023 or later, with James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and Jon Watts moving from Spider-Man: No Way Home into Marvel Studios’ Fantastic Four.

Thanks to Fantastic Four debuting in the MCU, the official start of Marvel Studios’ jump into bringing the formerly Fox Studios-owned properties alongside Earth’s Mightiest Heroes will be a reality. However, there is one more huge group of heroes that have only had a little bit of buzz so far: the X-Men.

The Illuminerdi has learned of a Marvel Studios-led project produced by Marvel CCO Kevin Feige entitled, The Mutants. It’s currently being developed as a feature film and is intended to be a reboot of the X-Men franchise.

After over a dozen movies produced by 20th Century Fox, Marvel Comics’ mutants are finally taking their rightful place on-screen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. With so little information at this time, it’s hard to pin down the capacity in which these exciting characters will arrive, but it’s such an exciting event knowing that the project is indeed in development.

Feige has only mentioned the mutants in passing over the past couple of years since the Fox/Disney merger. Although their inclusion in the MCU was always assumed to happen, nothing official has been put out into the world until now. We at The Illuminerdi are so excited to be able to share this information with you, and we hope to have the opportunity to update you on The Mutants as more information becomes available.

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess that concern with 'X-Mern' being outdated won out in the end :(

It does seem the concerns Marvel had about the X-Men name are legitimate, if this story is true.

The way the MCU works, made up names aren't used a lot within the story of the movie anyway. Yes, Avengers is a formal name in this world because it's a government agency. But Professor Xavier's group of gifted mutants aren't a formal government agency and often work in the shadows out of the limelight, so they don't really need to have a formal name if Marvel doesn't want to use the X-Men name. If our mutants just call each other Scott or Ororo or Kitty and never use made up names or a formal team name, it still works within the story, especially the way the MCU works, where many characters refer to each other by their first names.

I believe "The Mutants" was Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's original 1963 name for the book btw.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

42 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Calling a team 'Avengers' because it is government-sanctioned versus a self-contained team referred to as 'X-Men' has no relevance to MCU reality. Like has been noted by Kevin Feige in the video I posted earlier today the success of the MCU is built upon decades of Marvel stories.

Dismissing 'X-Men' because of hyper-sensitive individuals tampers with a legacy going back to 1963. That's some sad pandering if this is what Disney reacts to.

I take it The Mutants (or whatever it's going to be called) will take place in the 2020's, not 1963. I would think that in a group of mutant powered teenagers who attend a Westchester County private school and who are half composed of girls, that the girls of that team are going to have a problem with their Professor if he decides to formally call them X-Men.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel changes up a lot of things, like get away from the Professor X school thing. It seem almost like child endangerment if he sends a bunch of teenagers to fight adult villains. The origin of the Avengers for the MCU was changed substantially. In the comics, Rick Jones and his teen brigade basically get the Avengers together and it's Wasp who names the group. In the MCU, the team starts off as a government program formally named Avengers Initiative and created by Nick Fury, so adherence to the comics isn't a priority.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Kevin Feige doesn't refer to Marvel's mutants as X-Men here, but as "the mutants."

Pretty certain (not 100%) that he’s referring to the fact that now mutants will be featured in the MCU after the Fox acquisition. 

27 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I take it The Mutants (or whatever it's going to be called) will take place in the 2020's, not 1963. I would think that in a group of mutant powered teenagers who attend a Westchester County private school and who are half composed of girls, that the girls of that team are going to have a problem with their Professor if he decides to formally call them X-Men.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel changes up a lot of things, like get away from the Professor X school thing. It seem almost like child endangerment if he sends a bunch of teenagers to fight adult villains. The origin of the Avengers for the MCU was changed substantially. In the comics, Rick Jones and his teen brigade basically get the Avengers together and it's Wasp who names the group. In the MCU, the team starts off as a government program formally named Avengers Initiative and created by Nick Fury, so adherence to the comics isn't a priority.

You sound more like you are convincing yourself of something versus actually appreciating the source and lore.

'X-Men' have existed since 1963 not because of outdated thinking. It was a celebration of all mankind.

You can't be that indoctrinated you can't see where the MCU may be missing the boat on such purposeful intent on the part of Stan Lee. That's blind worship.

2 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Pretty certain (not 100%) that he’s referring to the fact that now mutants will be featured in the MCU after the Fox acquisition. 

Yeah, probably, but I was still just pointing out that Feige didn't refer to the characters as X-men to the crowd. In hindsight, he might've been hinting that Marvel Studios is dropping the X-Men name.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You sound more like you are convincing yourself of something versus actually appreciating the source and lore.

'X-Men' have existed since 1963 not because of outdated thinking. It was a celebration of all mankind.

You can't be that indoctrinated you can't see where the MCU may be missing the boat on such purposeful intent on the part of Stan Lee. That's blind worship.

I tend to think progressively as you can probably tell. I'm also not so militant and purist a comic fan that I'm going to lose it over dropping the X-Men title. If it was some new unproven studio doing this, I might be a little "you thought Dark Phoenix was bad." But I might also think that even if they kept the X-name. But it's Marvel Studios, who've proven time and time again to be pretty good stewards of their own Marvel brand. If the movie is great and seamlessly blends with the rest of the MCU, has a compelling story with awesome characters who are true in spirit to their comic book counterparts, then I really don't care what they call the movie. I can't deny that it's probably going to make older Marvel Comics fandom stand on their heads for a little while. Younger audiences and non-comics readers aren't going to care.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I tend to think progressively as you can probably tell.

Spoiler

I'm also not so militant and purist a comic fan that I'm going to lose it over dropping the X-Men title. If it was some new unproven studio doing this, I might be a little "you thought Dark Phoenix was bad." But I might also think that even if they kept the X-name. But it's Marvel Studios, who've proven time and time again to be pretty good stewards of the Marvel brand. If the movie is great and seamlessly blends with the rest of the MCU, has a compelling story with awesome characters who are true in spirit to their comic book counterparts, then I really don't care what they call the movie. I can't deny that it's probably going to make older Marvel Comics fandom stand on their heads for a little while. Younger audiences and non-comics readers aren't going to care.

That's one way to describe your messaging and thinking.

(:

Time will tell where this goes. But this opening, if accurate, feels like playing to the social over-sensitive.