• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
3 3

552 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell.

They’ll make one eventually. But right now they’re not even in pre-production. This is just guess-work at best.

29 minutes ago, bb8 said:

They’ll make one eventually. But right now they’re not even in pre-production. This is just guess-work at best.

When DiscussingFilm was at SDCC 2019, the staff posted this for a reason.

And then he spoke more about this topic afterwards.

Kevin Feige Says What Marvel Studios Does With X-Men Will Be "Quite Different"

Marvel fans can expect an unfamiliar future ahead for the X-Men movies. During the Hall H panel on Saturday night at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige revealed the Phase 4 slate of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The X-Men are not a part of that schedule, but Feige did allude to “mutants” being something that Marvel Studios is working on.

Speaking to IGN after the event, Feige clarified that the use of the word “mutants” instead of X-Men is nothing to read into, but that Marvel’s approach to the franchise will be different than what’s come before. “Mutants and X-Men are interchangeable,” Feige clarified. “I just said mutants. But yes, whatever we do will be quite different than what’s been done before.”

20th Century Fox launched the X-Men movie franchise in 2000. The studio put out 12 films in total (counting Dark Phoenix, which was released after the Disney purchase of 20th Century Fox was finalized). There’s still one film left to release, The New Mutants in 2020, but the franchise is considered done with the release of Dark Phoenix in the eyes of most fans.

In another interview, Feige elaborated a bit about his feelings towards being able to work on the X-Men and Fantastic Four following the Disney-Fox deal, but remained vague on the details. "I'm extremely excited about those characters and about bringing Marvel's First Family up to the platform and the level that they deserve," Feige said.

“The truth is, I’m excited for all of them. I’m excited, and it’s not just the marquee names you know — there are hundreds of names on those documents, on those agreements,” Feige said at the Golden Globes. “And the fact that Marvel is as close as we may ever get now to having access to all of the characters, is something I’ve been dreaming about for my almost 20 years at Marvel. And it’s very exciting.”

When he made the announcement at Hall H of 'Mutants' his intent was one in the same with 'X-Men' which he clarified during the interview above.

Not sure what you are locked in on. But no harm in having a discussion above great characters. :foryou:

Edited by Bosco685

When fans on Twitter compared Krypton star Cameron Cuffe to the newly-cleaned-up Winter Soldier in newly-released promotional art for Falcon and the Winter Soldier, the star said that he likes what Sebastian Stan is doing with the role -- and that if he could choose his own Marvel Cinematic Universe role, he would love to take on the part of Cyclops, a founding member of the X-Men. That character, previously played by James Marsden, Tim Pocock, and Tye Sheridan, has appeared in almost every feature-length X-Men movie. Ironically, Marsden played Cyclops for director Bryan Singer, who then brought him over to the world of Superman to play the role of Lois Lane's husband in Superman Returns.

Cameron_Cuffe01.PNG.2d4c1b9bf5971cffb2dfc3d8eb476be9.PNG

The X-Men could have a modern-day twist to them when Marvel Studios rolls out their inevitable reboot. Kevin Feige and co. are considering having people of color portray both Magneto and Professor X in the MCU, Full Circle Cinema has learned.

While this change wouldn’t alter much for Charles Xavier as he was born in New York to a wealthy family, it may lead to Marvel Studios taking some liberties with Erik Lehnsherr’s origin. In the pages of Marvel Comics, Magneto was born in the 1920s to a German Jewish family. During World War 2, Erik was sent to Auschwitz, a Nazi concentration camp. With the current MCU taking place in 2023, it’s difficult to imagine a 100-year-old Magneto taking on the X-Men.

Marvel Studios will have to take some steps to differentiate its incarnation of the X-Men from what Fox has done over the better part of the last two decades. Making two of the potential leads of the franchise people of color could be a huge step in doing that as well as helping to push the diversity of the MCU forward.

hm

12 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Was hoping it would be set in the 1940s than we wouldn't have any of this PC rubbish like we do now.

Soon they will be known at X People

Someone noted the other day this is going to turn into 'former Concentration Camp victim' to 'bitter former Stark Industries employee' as the on-going trend. I hope not. That narrative is getting old.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Professor X has been cast!! 

20190914_122023.jpg.33c49d22550c2f5f87d2a99e5cfa3ffa.jpg

Right now there are two names that keep coming up from fans. NOT from Disney or the MCU in any way, as this could all be a rumor or a tickler put out there to check audience reactions.

newxmen.thumb.JPG.8d5e2368d0030e6f54009dd1f1b455d3.JPG

On 9/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

hm

Want to throw fanboys into a frenzy - mention that you are considering making Professor X or Magento into people of color.  lol - The insanity over this is head shaking. 

The only thing I do care about is when it comes to Magneto.  I would like to see him retain his origin of being in a concentration camp as that is a major determining factor toward his world view and disconnect toward non-mutants.   If not the holocaust then there needs to be something else that is comparable. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Want to throw fanboys into a frenzy - mention that you are considering making Professor X or Magento into people of color.  lol - The insanity over this is head shaking. 

The only thing I do care about is when it comes to Magneto.  I would like to see him retain his origin of being in a concentration camp as that is a major determining factor toward his world view and disconnect toward non-mutants.   If not the holocaust then there needs to be something else that is comparable. 

They will have to change his origin to fit into present day.  A holocaust survivor will be too old in present day.  I just hope they don't make it political if they do change it.

I hope it isn't Denzel. I think he is a good actor but he is also pompous.

Edited by Xenosmilus

9 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

They will have to change his origin to fit into present day.  A holocaust survivor will be too old in present day.  I just hope they don't make it political if they do change it.

I hope it isn't Denzel. I think he is a good actor but he is also pompous.

Oppression or discrimination of any kind, let alone genocide, is usually in some way political.

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

They can definitely move up the origin to a modern-day war in places like Kosvo (1998-1999) where he still would have European heritage ties while not being excessively dated like WW II.

31 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

They will have to change his origin to fit into present day.  A holocaust survivor will be too old in present day.

Too old and it's clear they want someone who is visibly a POC.  

They will probably go with a "safe" updating by taking the MLK/Malcolm X parallels more literally and casting at least one African-American in these roles, but, if they had any balls, they would make at least one of the characters Muslim and from the Middle East.  If Andrew wants human misery worthy of a topical, modern-day Magneto origin story updating, that's clearly where you have to go, especially since there is also a built-in conflict between those preaching violence and non-violence.

Edited by delekkerste

5 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Too old and it's clear they want someone who is visibly a POC.  

They will probably go with a "safe" updating by taking the MLK/Malcolm X parallels more literally and casting at least one African-American in these roles, but, if they had any balls, they would make at least one of the characters Muslim and from the Middle East.  If Andrew wants human misery worthy of a topical, modern-day Magneto origin story updating, that's clearly where you have to go.  

I'd say go with a Native American.  If they are going through a check list that's one group that is not in the plans as of yet. 

Edited by Xenosmilus

When it's all said and done though it will be a high bar of any actor to replace Micheal Fassbender's take of Magneto. I'm not sure how much better it can be! Especially since he is still alive and kicking and still age appropriate to play the role.

Edited by Xenosmilus

40 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I'd say go with a Native American.  If they are going through a check list that's one group that is not in the plans as of yet. 

Thunderbird :idea:

Mirage :idea::idea:

Edited by delekkerste