• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing out dents

14 posts in this topic

I am thinking of sending the below 9.0 Vengeance of Bane in to be pressed and re-graded. The grader notes on it were 'multiple dent'. The book looks pretty damn good to me but opinions welcome.

IMG_20190721_193039.thumb.jpg.4d375ef698205ac92a651393858e06cb.jpg

IMG_20190721_193324.thumb.jpg.779f61bd6159d6f085abbe7d3f3f6d5f.jpg

Thx.

Uploaded a couple more. the first is the left hand front corner, the first post has a weird reflection near this corner but this is not on the book.

IMG_20190721_194421.thumb.jpg.bdb773df8e304c26e105000e346c139e.jpg

The next shows some weird discoloration, are these the fabled Newton rings ?

IMG_20190721_194448.thumb.jpg.f0caacc92a00e4dcb976feb59ba70c4a.jpg

Thx

Dents can be both color breaking and non-color breaking. If the dents in question are all non-color breaking, a good press should get rid of them. But if you have an area where a dent actually causes a break in the color, that will still be visible even after pressing. I'm not sure if the risk is worth the reward in this particular case, but I can appreciate your desire to improve the overall appearance of the book. Whatever you decide, good luck!  :wishluck:

Thanks for the opinions all, I have a few books in the same state where I think the grading was harsh and a press could resolve most (if not all) of the dents and/or bends. Looks likely I will send for a crack, press and re-submit.

Most importantly I have learnt another set of things to look for in grading my own books and deciding if/when to get them pressed and slabbed.

Considering it is apparently difficult to get to the dents to show up in a picture, they are likely almost all non color breaking and thus will be corrected with a press. The ones I see are mostly fingernail dents that are correctable with press.

9.0 is trending around $70, a bump to 9.6 would put it around $120. A 9.8 would be a score at about $250.

The rainbow splash pic is the Newton Ring effect; extremely common on CGC slabs, irritating to most (myself included,) and harmless to the book. If you value a clear slab display over top resale value, a CBCS slab will be best option, IMHO.

1 hour ago, Joosh said:

The rainbow splash pic is the Newton Ring effect; extremely common on CGC slabs, irritating to most (myself included,) and harmless to the book. If you value a clear slab display over top resale value, a CBCS slab will be best option, IMHO.

577935317_scooby(360x455).jpg.ffe9a589bae31b0d4c8e9c8fac50ad15.jpg