• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTA 100 - Has this been trimmed?

10 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

The edge just looks so bad, and all the pages follow the different "cuts".  Is it possible older books could be cut this poorly at the manufacturer?

Yes, it is very possible in the '50s and  '60s, Marvels especially.

It does not look trimmed to me from those pictures, but its hard to tell. If it was trimmed in order to approve the appearance and grade, it is a particularly inept job.

That said, this is a very common book. There's almost 100 copies for sale right now on ebay. Whether it is trimmed or not, since the edge bothers you, why not just look for another copy with a nicer, cleaner edge?

2 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

The edge just looks so bad, and all the pages follow the different "cuts".  Is it possible older books could be cut this poorly at the manufacturer?

IMO, what's rare is for a trimmed book to look this way; usually the trimming is an attempt to make the book look better, not worse (although I have seen some pretty shoddy attempts). But I've yet to see someone try to duplicate this type of cut on purpose. And Spoon is absolutely correct; this isn't uncommon for Marvels from this era. 

Of course, it can't hurt to have the guru of paper (JJ Johnson) take a look at it...  (worship)