• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shocking Sunday HA result
2 2

46 posts in this topic

Is this now the norm for Paul Smith Uncanny X-Men pages:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/paul-smith-and-bob-wiacek-x-men-168-page-11-original-art-marvel-1983-/a/121929-15207.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

$5040 for a Kitty Pryde page... I was watching and actually wanted to buy it - until it started climbing past $2500. I figured it’d go for half what it did. Are PMS pages selling that high now?

Congrats to the seller!

13 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Is this now the norm for Paul Smith Uncanny X-Men pages:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/paul-smith-and-bob-wiacek-x-men-168-page-11-original-art-marvel-1983-/a/121929-15207.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

$5040 for a Kitty Pryde page... I was watching and actually wanted to buy it - until it started climbing past $2500. I figured it’d go for half what it did. Are PMS pages selling that high now?

Congrats to the seller!

In the future, please post a warning so I know to put on two pairs of depends.  That final hammer price was staggering :whatthe:

Eh, one sale does not make a market.  It's a low enough value piece where I'm guessing that two people probably just decided, F it, who cares if I overpay by a couple grand. There are many collectors for whom the amount of the overpay is a rounding error in their annual OA budget. 

#168 is also a very memorable issue (the cover and splash - PROFESSOR XAVIER IS A JERK! - would both fetch BIG BIG BIG money); maybe paying $5K for a Kitty page from this issue is a cheap way to scratch the itch for someone who thinks of the cover and/or splash as Grail-level pieces. 

That said, this page really shouldn't have anything higher than a 3 in front of its price. 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Eh, one sale does not make a market.  It's a low enough value piece where I'm guessing that two people probably just decided, F it, who cares if I overpay by a couple grand. There are many collectors for whom the amount of the overpay is a rounding error in their annual OA budget. 

#168 is also a very memorable issue (the cover and splash - PROFESSOR XAVIER IS A JERK! - would both fetch BIG BIG BIG money); maybe paying $5K for a Kitty page from this issue is a cheap way to scratch the itch for someone who thinks of the cover and/or splash as Grail-level pieces. 

That said, this page really shouldn't have anything higher than a 3 in front of its price. 

hence my need for two pairs of depends.

14 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

hence my need for two pairs of depends.

If you needed two pairs of Depends for a $2K overpay, you would have needed a full box of them if you had seen what I've seen recently. :ohnoez:

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If you needed two pairs of Depends for a $2K overpay, you would have needed a full box of them if you had seen what I've seen recently. :ohnoez:

Let me put on three pairs (thank god for Costco).  Please tell me more about these other deals.  :popcorn:

8 hours ago, oldwhy said:

If I had to guess, the Titans piece probably got a bit of a premium because it's an early Nightwing appearance and it's part of the Judas Contract story. I'm with you on the Davis Excalibur stuff though, I thought the consistent supply would keep prices steady and maybe even push them down a little. Nope, they just keep getting higher.

Did anyone watch the CAF video of the conversation between Bill Cox and Greg Land that Bill posted? They have a short conversation about Paul Smith X-Men art and its rarity and paying a premium just to have an example. Apparently Paul has held on to most of it? Not my wheelhouse so feel free to correct me. 

Edited by Jay Olie Espy
I corrected the wrong name

3 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Did anyone watch the CAF video of the conversation between Bill Cox and Bruce Landry that Bill posted? They have a short conversation about Paul Smith X-Men art and its rarity and paying a premium just to have an example. Apparently Paul has held on to most of it? Not my wheelhouse so feel free to correct me. 

I don't know if I know Bruce Landry. Do you have a link? 

9 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Did anyone watch the CAF video of the conversation between Bill Cox and Bruce Landry that Bill posted? They have a short conversation about Paul Smith X-Men art and its rarity and paying a premium just to have an example. Apparently Paul has held on to most of it? Not my wheelhouse so feel free to correct me. 

This is his interview series?  The only ones he has posted are with Rich Cirillo, Gary Land, Miki A and Tom Flemming

Malvin

41 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I don't know if I know Bruce Landry. Do you have a link? 

Sooo sorry Chris. I meant Greg Land. They spoke a lot about Bruce Lowry that I converged the two names. My portmanteau turned into a malapropism ☺️ Here is the link anyway

Edited by Jay Olie Espy
It’s GARY Land, John!!!!

2 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Sooo sorry Chris. I meant Greg Land. They spoke a lot about Bruce Lowry that I converged the two names. My portmanteau turned into a malapropism ☺️ Here is the link anyway

It only cost me a couple minutes googling. No worries. 

11 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

heh, guess this will drag on. Gary Land.

Greg Land is the artist, Gary Land the collector :P

Malvin

22 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Did anyone watch the CAF video of the conversation between Bill Cox and Gary Land that Bill posted? They have a short conversation about Paul Smith X-Men art and its rarity and paying a premium just to have an example. Apparently Paul has held on to most of it? Not my wheelhouse so feel free to correct me. 

Regardless of who said it, that argument doesn't make economic sense.  If everyone pays a premium, it is effectively the new market price.  Isn't he just describing the impact of low supply?

Malvin

15 minutes ago, malvin said:

Regardless of who said it, that argument doesn't make economic sense.  If everyone pays a premium, it is effectively the new market price.  Isn't he just describing the impact of low supply?

Malvin

I’m not at all qualified to answer this. Rhetorically speaking, what were prices on average before this? How often do these Smith pages pop up?

What I find interesting is that this topic was brought up before the auction ended. Not at all saying there was a correlation between the video and the auction, but the final auction price seemed to back what they said?

did you watch the video, Malvin? Did I get it right? Or am I misspeaking again 😬

I have no dog in this fight, dear readers. Just info sharing.