• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If Foreign (Non-US) Distribution Price Variants were proven to have been printed first, would it matter?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

A foreign copy of any book would have to have unbelievable colors and detail before I would consider it over its American Cousin.

While I am sure some people will consider them as cheaper alternatives, I personally am indifferent to them.  If I come across a bunch of pence copies in great shape, I'm sure I will alter my opinion.

13 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

"The Australian Price Variant (APV) books were collated first, before any other editions. This was so the lag time between US editions release and Australian edition release would be reduced. As soon as these books were printed, they were shipped, while the regular US editions were yet to be completed. We are unsure how much time difference there was between the editions, but in any case, they can be identified as the first of the print run. After about a year of this practice, Alternate Worlds broke the news about APV's"

Joseph has also put forward a view that has been discussed many times down the years for pence copies, that the Australian books have a greater depth of colour when compared to US priced copies, consistent with being printed first.

They would need to be printed unreasonably early to have more than a negligible effect on the lag time that existed due to shipping.

Everything would be reset when the plates were changed for the different covers. A smaller print run would result in less variance.

13 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

In respect of pence copies, during recent email discussions with Matt Nelson of CGC, he advised me that CGC graders had found that UK Price Variants often displayed different ink saturation, page quality and overall ageing effects when contrasted with the US editions. Though there is no known direct evidence that it is so, this could imply they were printed elsewhere, or indeed first.

Copies that stayed in the UK were contained in a much smaller geographical region with less variance in environmental conditions that would affect how the paper aged.

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not foreign editions dupont, price variants. They're not reprints.

It’s anedition manufactured for a foreign market. What’s the difference between a Canadian edition and a French edition?

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

It’s anedition manufactured for a foreign market. What’s the difference between a Canadian edition and a French edition?

A foreign edition is an issue that was licensed by a publisher in another part of the world and likely translated for their market. The books that are the subject of this thread were all published by Marvel and printed with the regular edition.

12 hours ago, shadroch said:

I am still amazed Disney hasn't started stamping each book off the press with a serial number and charged oodles of dollars for early numbers. I imagine people would pay big bucks for low number books.  $199 for book 1, $99 for 2-99, $49 for 100-250.

yes in saudi arabia apparently license plates follow this model-I think plate 001 or whatever sold for like $4 million dollars or whatever.  The 002, 003 etc.