• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelly Moldoff Action Comics 1

20 posts in this topic

I have read that Sheldon Moldoff contributed to Action Comics #1, but find conflicting resources, some have him listed as working on the book and others do not. Did he contribute to Action Comics #1 and if so, what did he do exactly in that book?

8 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Interesting x 2 

Yes.   People say the back cover to Action 1 is unique  and that if yours is missing the back cover you stand little chance of finding it in the wild.  But I would bet very good money that the "odds 'n ends" feature, being entirely about baseball players, ended up in some scrapbooks back in the day.,

12 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

So does his contribution entitle him to full status as a contributor to Action Comics 1?

Without a doubt. It was amazing Moldoff met Bernard Bailey when he was a youngster. Bailey was his neighbor in NYC and saw him drawing images of Popeye on the sidewalks with chalk. Bailey mentored him and connected him with DC and the rest was history - the best Hawkman and Batman ghost artist there was. 

95FD248E-1D0D-44DD-8CB6-8890DD279B14.jpeg

Edited by Primetime

42 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Without a doubt. It was amazing Moldoff met Bernard Bailey when he was a youngster. Bailey was his neighbor in NYC and saw him drawing images of Popeye on the sidewalks with chalk. Bailey mentored him and connected him with DC and the rest was history - the best Hawkman and Batman ghost artist there was. 

95FD248E-1D0D-44DD-8CB6-8890DD279B14.jpeg

I'll have to go with Murphy Anderson and Sprang respectively...

54 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

GCD claims the last page opposite the inside back cover also was by Moldoff.  I buy it, looks like same art (see Gehrig and Grissom) and lettering style:

65_Action1_Left_p65.png

Here's a pic from an original copy.

actionwrapfspics004.jpg

14 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

So does his contribution entitle him to full status as a contributor to Action Comics 1?

How is that a real question? He produced content that appeared in the issue.

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The pics I posted are from the Cgc 9.0 white, but I fully understand why you thought they were of a reprint.  That copy’s preservation is unreal!

I guess it is.  (worship)

On 7/23/2019 at 4:25 PM, Lazyboy said:

How is that a real question? He produced content that appeared in the issue.

The reason for the question, is that when I look on comicbookdb and other websites his name does not appear to be attached to Action 1. 

13 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

The reason for the question, is that when I look on comicbookdb and other websites his name does not appear to be attached to Action 1. 

GCD indexes the above cited features as being by Moldoff.

I would trust GCD like @sfcityduck referenced but there are a plethora of sites that confirm this if you google him and AC #1.  Mark Evanier cited the fact in his newsfromme - https://www.newsfromme.com/2012/03/03/sheldon-moldoff-r-i-p/

Shelly's wiki page says the same thing which I know can be edited by virtually anyone.  The book, "More Heroes of the Comics: Portraits of the Legends of Comic Books," - 

https://books.google.com/books?id=YdZIDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT128&lpg=PT128&dq=Shelly+Moldoff+"Action+Comics+%231"&source=bl&ots=1vMnr9bl5r&sig=ACfU3U2doUhSiJVTpukAjGMKH0GJg1G4pA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN0eiEyNDjAhVvdt8KHblCCxA4ChDoATAEegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=Shelly Moldoff "Action Comics %231"&f=false

And so many others.  He was the last surviving creator who had worked on AC 1 according to the Evanier article.

15 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

Maybe look at better websites?