• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First CGC Submission: Timeline, Results & Takeaways

13 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2019 at 4:56 PM, ggovel said:

Check out this summary, including turnaround time, results, and some takeaways, from my first submission to CGC.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks!!!

http://collectorsyndicate.com/cgc-round-1/

In your write-up, you mention a desire to re-submit for signature series.  One thing I've learned along the way is that there were some signatures I really wanted, but other books I regret getting sigs on.  As a result, I now feel a need to get unsigned copies of  books that I had signed.  A lot of modern books with cool covers that I thought would be great signed, I kind of regret getting.  So be sure to really consider all things before submitting for sigs because it can get pretty costly.

18 hours ago, nines said:

New to the game. Timeline is quicker than I thought. Are these books that you read or straight to bag?

The only straight to bag may have been New Mutants 87.  This is one of two copies purchased at publication - I sold the other a couple of years ago.  The other stuff was likely read and then bagged.  Some were bought when I was 7 or 8 years old, so under those circumstances, and without pressing, they graded out reasonably well.

20 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

In your write-up, you mention a desire to re-submit for signature series.  One thing I've learned along the way is that there were some signatures I really wanted, but other books I regret getting sigs on.  As a result, I now feel a need to get unsigned copies of  books that I had signed.  A lot of modern books with cool covers that I thought would be great signed, I kind of regret getting.  So be sure to really consider all things before submitting for sigs because it can get pretty costly.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Definitely some things to think about as I proceed...

1 hour ago, Ariellazo said:

You sir are extremely lucky then! I sent mine in April and still show scheduled for grading with no press! I wish mine came back as quick as yours lol

Have you tried to call CGC customer service?  If you sent them in April, without pressing, it's odd that they are still showing Scheduled For Grading.  I've sent three boxes of comic books to CGC since May and all have been graded and returned.  Unless there are special circumstances you've not mentioned, I'd contact CGC by phone and ask if they can look at the situation and provide a completion estimate.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:56 AM, Donald Jack said:

Have you tried to call CGC customer service?  If you sent them in April, without pressing, it's odd that they are still showing Scheduled For Grading.  I've sent three boxes of comic books to CGC since May and all have been graded and returned.  Unless there are special circumstances you've not mentioned, I'd contact CGC by phone and ask if they can look at the situation and provide a completion estimate.

I have and they just said they are backed up. They are just silver age books nothing extra or special

1 minute ago, Donald Jack said:

I've never sent in any silver age books, so I don't know if that style increases the wait time.  Maybe someone else can share some experience or information on this.  Hope you see/hear something soon.

DJ

The wait time generally (but not always) depends on the age of your books (older is slower) as well as the value (cheaper is slower), as well as other factors like time of the year (for example after a major convention is probably slower), and whether or not you pay extra for the fast track (expedited) service.  You can look at the CGC website for estimated turnaround times for various tiers.  You can evaluate your own books against the listed tiers and listed turnaround times to get an idea of the potential wait times for your specific circumstance.

Good luck.  Also, CGC has customer service employees in the event you have specific questions about the process.