• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shop Owners
2 2

50 posts in this topic

Any comic shop owners on here?

I heard lots of them when they find out a comic is valuable they keep it in the back not for public sale and simply tell customers that the comic is out of stock or make up something else to fob them off.

Anyone admit this? And to those going to take the mick go on I welcome it waste your time. 

2 minutes ago, pipsy said:

I heard lots of them when they find out a comic is valuable they keep it in the back not for public sale and simply tell customers that the comic is out of stock or make up something else to fob them off.

Anyone admit this? And to those going to take the mick go on I welcome it waste your time. 

I imagine this isnt the best way to start your comic collecting career.

People are people,and people will do what people do,but anger wont solve your dilemma.

You will find good and bad in all walks of life.

Might as well enjoy the ride.

38 minutes ago, pipsy said:

Not only that, but some shop owners actually sell books at more than cover price. Outrageous. Nothing fobs me off like a shop asking big bucks for something the manufacturers

priced at a quarter or less. Unlike shop owners of the past, some of the new guys practice aggressive forms of capitalism.

37 minutes ago, pipsy said:

Assuming you are talking about new comics and not back issues.

Any comic shop owners that do this are regularly outed here on the boards. There is a plethora of threads about this exact practice (here and elsewhere).

The quality shop owners would not do this as it kills their reputation and hurts business.

No one will openly admit to doing this for those reasons alone.

33 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

He's only got 5 posts, how much less can he do it? (:

2 out of his 5 posts are starting threads.  Doesn't sound like he is contributing but just data gathering for a side business.

Side question - anyone cheat on their taxes?  I hear it's common practice but would anyone want to admit to it?

33 minutes ago, bc said:

Assuming you are talking about new comics and not back issues.

Any comic shop owners that do this are regularly outed here on the boards. There is a plethora of threads about this exact practice (here and elsewhere).

The quality shop owners would not do this as it kills their reputation and hurts business.

No one will openly admit to doing this for those reasons alone.

I don't play in the new books...but I don't see why it's an issue.

A shop orders in 20 copies of a book (15 of those go to pull folders).  The orders close off and the book becomes stupid hot (we'll call it TWD193).  The 15 allotted pull folder books go into their respective pulls, why does the shop need to sell the next 5 at cover price when the book is selling for 10x that?

3 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

I don't play in the new books...but I don't see why it's an issue.

A shop orders in 20 copies of a book (15 of those go to pull folders).  The orders close off and the book becomes stupid hot (we'll call it TWD193).  The 15 allotted pull folder books go into their respective pulls, why does the shop need to sell the next 5 at cover price when the book is selling for 10x that?

Agree with your example 100%

If it's done unethically (by stiffing those with a pull list) then it becomes butthurt.

Just now, bc said:

Agree with your example 100%

If it's done unethically (by stiffing those with a pull list) then it becomes butthurt.

Oh ya if you yank from pulls then I totally agree it is wrong of the shop.