• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shop Owners
2 2

50 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, pipsy said:

Any comic shop owners on here?

I heard lots of them when they find out a comic is valuable they keep it in the back not for public sale and simply tell customers that the comic is out of stock or make up something else to fob them off.

Anyone admit this? And to those going to take the mick go on I welcome it waste your time. 

Assuming, like others have said, that you're talking about new issues, it's much more common for stores to mark up the shelf copies so they can make the money during the (often brief) window that the issue is hot. But some do worse things and get their reputations trashed because they're stupid.

My childhood nickame was 'Mickey'.

Since I was a toddler everyone in my immediate family (including my mom and dad) have called me Mickey and still do to this day.

It's kind of like 'JR' or 'Buddy' translated (English is a 2nd language).

There, now I've made another thread about me. Proceed.

Good to see loads of people wasting their time with nothing but talking nonsense.

Thanks notifications given to those who are helpful.

I don't care if shop owners do it. I would if I was in that position its a ruthless world accept it. It just proves to me that comics have a market value if not today then maybe in future like stocks and shares. 

I'm not angry although I'm an angry birds fan ok get the angry birds icons on mocking me. Thank you. 

Edited by pipsy

2 minutes ago, pipsy said:

Good to see loads of people wasting their time with nothing but talking nonsense.

I don't care if shop owners do it. I would if I was in that position its a ruthless world accept it. It just proves to me that comics have a market value if not today then maybe in future like stocks and shares. 

I'm not angry although I'm an angry birds fan ok get the angry birds icons on mocking me. Thank you. 

I'm sorry Pipsy, my post was a cheap shot and has rightly been poofed. Don't let it put you off will you :foryou:

10 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

By the way I don't think this is anything new.  In the late 80's when I had my store some of the other stores in the area did this.

Back then everyone could edit their own custom title.

29 minutes ago, pipsy said:

Define irony.

29 minutes ago, pipsy said:

This is a joke right?  Got to be a joke.

35 minutes ago, pipsy said:

You sound as angry as I was when I first started on the site, but I was fresh out the bin after 15 years.

People are gonna rib you,dont take it personally,get what you can from the site,a lot of useful information and alot of really decent girls and guys(see how I did that there,almost blew it).

Just chill and enjoy

Well, I think the shop owner wants to sell the book, so I don't think "scram, get lost," is the typical response. It will probably just be marked at $20 or whatever on the wall. There are lots of ways they can justify selling a book that came out that day for $20. "This was my personal copy or that's on consignment from a customer or someone just sold me that copy..." if they don't want to admit to pulling it off the rack 3 minutes ago when they realized the book was hot and stuck it in a bag and board with a big price on it.

5 hours ago, pipsy said:

Any comic shop owners on here?

I heard lots of them when they find out a comic is valuable they keep it in the back not for public sale and simply tell customers that the comic is out of stock or make up something else to fob them off.

Anyone admit this? And to those going to take the mick go on I welcome it waste your time. 

It is exactly what happened in the 90's and then the debacle came

I remember the local Philly shop Comic Investments selling Batman 428 for 30 bucks on the day it came out. Another store sold it for cover price.