• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby Verification
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, Frank Cozza said:

Hi Everyone,  

I was wondering if any of you more experienced collectors could give me your opinion on the authenticity of this signature.  

Thank You!

IMG-2710.JPG

Frank, what's the issuance year for the book that goes with this splash page?

59 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

looks right, but remember that Roz signed a good deal of stuff for Jack in the last decade of his life...and she was very good.

Which is why the date is necessary, to be thorough. Kirby has several different iterations and one of them is Roz. Though this does look good, it's not absolutely textbook Jack and the date would help rule out Roz by proxy.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, Frank Cozza said:

Hi Everyone,  

I was wondering if any of you more experienced collectors could give me your opinion on the authenticity of this signature.  

Thank You!

IMG-2710.JPG

Also, if there's an additional signature on this margin seeing the Kirby in relation to it can provide that extra measure of authentication.

And for comic relief, here's a "Jauk Kirby" signature (haven't seen a "Jauk" before) The Lee is equally terrible. The forger should have waited at least 2 minutes between drawing the Kirby and then the Lee in rapid succession. A pencil change might have made sense too, if they weren't both so bad that the implement choice, or lack of it, really doesn't matter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-039-s-Greatest-Comics-Signed-Jack-Kirby-Stan-Lee-52-Fantastic-Four-9-0-/392328294015?nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

jauk.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

6 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

And for comic relief, here's a "Jauk Kirby" signature (haven't seen a "Jauk" before) The Lee is equally terrible. The forger should have waited at least 2 minutes between drawing the Kirby and then the Lee in rapid succession. A pencil change might have made sense too, if they weren't both so bad that the implement choice, or lack of it, really doesn't matter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-039-s-Greatest-Comics-Signed-Jack-Kirby-Stan-Lee-52-Fantastic-Four-9-0-/392328294015?nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

jauk.jpg

The ones on homeboy’s Black Panther #3 are even worse. 

3 hours ago, mattn792 said:

The ones on homeboy’s Black Panther #3 are even worse. 

I was looking through the Kirby sigs on ebay (searched signed Jack Kirby, Jack Kirby autograph, and Jack Kirby signature).

The majority are blatantly NG, IMO.

But yeah. His BP 3 certainly is among the Kirby (and Lee) chaff. Unbelievably, as bad as the Kirby is, the Lee forgery is even worse.

BP.jpg

11 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

"That don't look right!"  :ohnoez:

But even devoid of a thimbleful of latent talent for forgery, he was able to steal $150+ from someone on ebay for this that was even more devoid of common sense. The only upside is that he used a writing implement and a comic book to rob someone and didn't hold them up at gunpoint.

This is also why whether genuine or fake, non-CGC signature series certified Stan Lee signatures on comics (unless the comic itself is of high value) are auctioning in the $20.range. The fake outnumber the real by at least 10 to 1. The Kirbys are soon to follow suit as the number of forgeries grow and the results spiral, forgers willing to take anything for their forged Kirbys

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

But even devoid of a thimbleful of latent talent for forgery, he was able to steal $150+ from someone on ebay for this that was even more devoid of common sense. The only upside is that he used a writing implement and a comic book to rob someone and didn't hold them up at gunpoint.

That's unconscionable...  :tonofbricks:

JJJ, did you by chance happen to see the (possibly trimmed) Showcase 55 posted in the Comic Book Grading and Restoration forum? Your opinion is always highly valued. If you have the opportunity, please let me know what you think...

6 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

JJJ, did you by chance happen to see the (possibly trimmed) Showcase 55 posted in the Comic Book Grading and Restoration forum? Your opinion is always highly valued. If you have the opportunity, please let me know what you think...

Didn't see it. Hopping on the cross-board express to take a...…...SPLAT!!!  

Be there soon. I missed the handrail.

Hey guys. 'New to the boards. Just recently picked these up at an estate sale. Before I try and get them verified 'was curious to know if anyone has seen anything like this?

Do they look legit? How would I even value them?

I recently attended a signing with Jim Shooter and his sig (on what I had signed and the one on this book) looked virtually identical. I trust these are legit; but you never know.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_3578.PNG

IMG_3579.PNG

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3591.jpg

Edited by Romanticsumo