• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just gotta wallow for a minute (CGC Registry Loser)

5 posts in this topic

OK, Just gotta wallow... 

I've been the top set in Space Adventures for the last 4 years. I acquired a few high grade pedigree copies and decided to make it my focus set. Finding high grade copies is hard to do, but my set was about quality over quantity. And while I only had 11 of the 60 issues, most were the highest graded, or pedigree copies of these books (White Mountains, Big Apples, River Citys, Bethlehems...) 

2 years ago someone popped up on the registry with a nearly complete collection, but of more middling grades, but the cumulative effect was he took the lead. I was able to battle back last year scoring a few big books to inch ahead of him. I wiped my brow and prepared for this years fight.

This year only a few books came around that were of quality or pedigree so I only had one or two opportunities to add to my collection. Meanwhile my competition made a few upgrades and pulled ahead of me. The "season" ended and there I sat in second place. A 4 year streak, ended. 

And now the insult to injury, I've discovered that he is selling off the vast majority of the collection in auction in the coming months. So while I'm excited at the opportunity to maybe add a few worthy upgrades to my set in hopes of retaking the top place, I will do it knowing there's a hole in my registry streak for 2019. 

*sigh*

Wallowing over. 

Edited by miraclemet

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

OK, Just gotta wallow... 

I've been the top set in Space Adventures for the last 4 years. I acquired a few high grade pedigree copies and decided to make it my focus set. Finding high grade copies is hard to do, but my set was about quality over quantity. And while I only had 11 of the 60 issues, most were the highest graded, or pedigree copies of these books (White Mountains, Big Apples, River Citys, Bethlehems...) 

2 years ago someone popped up on the registry with a nearly complete collection, but of more middling grades, but the cumulative effect was he took the lead. I was able to battle back last year scoring a few big books to inch ahead of him. I wiped my brow and prepared for this years fight.

This year only a few books came around that were of quality or pedigree so I only had one or two opportunities to add to my collection. Meanwhile my competition made a few upgrades and pulled ahead of me. The "season" ended and there I sat in second place. A 4 year streak, ended.  

And now the insult to injury, I've discovered that he is selling off the vast majority of the collection in auction in the coming months. So while I'm excited at the opportunity to maybe add a few worthy upgrades to my set in hopes of retaking the top place, I will do it knowing there's a hole in my registry streak for 2019. 

*sigh*

Wallowing over. 

A.  Pedigree books should get extra points in the registry imo.

B. It hadn't occurred to me one would maintain their registry points even when they sold off the books?  Thinking it through, I guess the owner of the registry would have to take them down his/or herself after the sale.

C.  You will have quite the collection after grabbing up those other books, creating an insurmountable lead over any future challengers for years into the future.

When things like this happen, I often look at how other folks handle this type of thing. Do they wallow in their own misery, or do they use a loss as an incentive to come back stronger and more dominant than before? These are the qualities that separate champions from other people, IMO. You can call it what you like---determination, grit, desire...but what it really means is they have a goal and they're going to reach it no matter what...  :foryou: