• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: SUBMARINER #1

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys-- I've had this book for some time and bought it for next to nothing back when no one really cared about old Subby, well everyone seems to care now so I was thinking about slabbing it. It's a decent copy except for a stain at the bottom left edge of the cover which wraps around to bottom right on the beck. Water marks or stains in general are not something I am very good with when it comes to grading as thoughts on the subject vary wildly. Could you help a brother out?

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

You have a book that looks 8.5 sans stain but my experience with CGC and stains tells me 5.5 sadly. They just kill silver books with stains.  

Thanks for your thoughts on the book-- I suspected that was the ballpark-- I was hoping for a 6.5'ish but I like to lie to myself...lol

3 hours ago, bronzejunkie said:

Thanks for your thoughts on the book-- I suspected that was the ballpark-- I was hoping for a 6.5'ish but I like to lie to myself...lol

You might/should get that grade. I’ve just been hammered bad by stains with them. For some reason it is the kiss of death defect with CGC in my experience. 

5.5-6.0. That stain though ugh. I generally dislike stains on my comics (that and popped staples/centrefolds) are my most hated flaws. That being said, I have some similar books with similar stains in corners or small spots on the back that I give a pass to because the books look great otherwise.