• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its been ten years since we lost Nik!!!
4 4

124 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, DR.X said:

I'll repeat this again. The Nik/Piglet flame war was a masterpiece on here. Should be standard reading for noobs. LOL. R.I.P. brother.

To this day, probably the funniest thing I have read on the boards. 

Nik was a good guy. The boards did a nice thing for his family when he passed. 

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

One of my most cherished moments at any comic convention was that last breakfast a few of us had with Nik. He had been complaining about headaches and talked about going to the doctor. That morning is more cherished to me than the first Greek town dinner at WWC  

Jim mentioned earlier in this thread about all the good times we had as a group, but things have never truly been the same since his passing. 

You guys were in Charlotte, Drew and I were in Philly and Doc was already pizzed at me for not coming to Charlotte.  If I could do it all over again, I would have been in Charlotte.

4 hours ago, october said:

Nik was a good guy. The boards did a nice thing for his family when he passed. 

Amen.  It was the first time that Board members united in selfless, generous fund-raising for a beloved member of the collecting community.  I was and remain proud to have contributed toward the Board's lending a financial helping hand to Nik's family.  I remember it was Jim/Guardian Comics who stepped up big to pay generously for the comic I donated for the fundraiser.

Like many others, I got the chance to do some internet commerce and chatting with Nik.  We met in person, conducted a trade, and broke bread at what I believe was the first (or was it the second?) Baltimore Comic Con at the Convention Center.  Nik was an enjoyable, easygoing person to be around, and man he loved comics and the hobby, especially late Silver and Bronze age Marvels.  His life ended too soon, but it was very well lived.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, TheWatcher said:

My favorite Nik memory was WW Chicago '08. Nik, Arex, and Danny arrived together for that con. Nik and Arex were like a comedy team. They made me laugh that entire show, usually by ripping on Danny lol

Arex would call Danny "Elf" all the time, because of his Nightcrawler avatar, even though Danny was about three feet taller than Arex. :roflmao:

1 hour ago, TheWatcher said:

My favorite Nik memory was WW Chicago '08. Nik, Arex, and Danny arrived together for that con. Nik and Arex were like a comedy team. They made me laugh that entire show, usually by ripping on Danny lol

I was there too and I spilled some water on the table and tripped on the decrepit streets unfortunately missing Roy.

25 minutes ago, greggy said:

I was there too and I spilled some water on the table and tripped on the decrepit streets unfortunately missing Roy.

The Greektown dinner that year was legendary for a few reasons, one was you face-planting yourself on a Chicago sidewalk :roflmao:

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

One of my most cherished moments at any comic convention was that last breakfast a few of us had with Nik. He had been complaining about headaches and talked about going to the doctor. That morning is more cherished to me than the first Greek town dinner at WWC  

Jim mentioned earlier in this thread about all the good times we had as a group, but things have never truly been the same since his passing. 

Great morning. Hard to explain the way that morning was. I think we all walked out of there content with the weekend and secure in our friendships. Looking back at how time has passed so quickly, how much has changed, and how unexpectedly it did makes me a little sad.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:
6 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

And so it began (on page 4)...

Holy Moses.

:whee:

Jeebus - and I look at all the petty BS I've received strikes for....,

I never got a chance to meet him, though we PMd quite a bit and spoke a few times on the phone. I was very saddened when I heard of his passing.

15 hours ago, DR.X said:

I'll repeat this again. The Nik/Piglet flame war was a masterpiece on here. Should be standard reading for noobs. LOL. R.I.P. brother.

7 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

And so it began (on page 4)...

Just started reading through that thread -- it was even before my time as a lurker, so I wasn't familiar with it -- but I see that the seller in question was actually ComicSupply, one of the earliest Hall of Shame members, who was apparently pulling shenanigans four full years before he ended up on the HOS list.

550096-youtube_0.jpg

45 minutes ago, DR.X said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Jeebus - and I look at all the petty BS I've received strikes for....,

name one

Gary

I remembered Nik through the boards (never met him in person, not sure if I personally talked to him before), but he seemed like a great guy to be around who knows his stuff.  Always sad to see a board member pass away, just everything changes.  May he RIP.

I know this is a Nik thread, but I also want to address a fellow Batman collector who passed away around 10 years now too.. Ben Novak Jr. Dunno if some of you guys have met or talked to him, but he was one of the guys I looked up to in this hobby.  He had one of the best Batman collections in the world I've ever came about knowing. We used to talk a lot about Batman and Pre-Robin Tecs in general.  Just a tragic how he was murdered..