• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its been ten years since we lost Nik!!!
4 4

124 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:
12 hours ago, Flee-Marquette said:

More 2008

2008-forumdrinks_zpszebzqrdq.jpg

I'm shocked...both Roy and I have a drink in our hands...so unusual for Chicago LMAO

I'm pretty sure that is still your I'm going out shirt you still wear to this day.

3 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

Nik was a great guy and one of the true innovators on the boards in terms of selling.  His threads attracted a lot of attention because he knew how to grade and he wasn't afraid to give deals to forumites.  I wasn't super tight with him but I did consider him a friend.  He once came all the way to a show he wasn't planning on attending in NYC because I wanted a book and he offered to hand deliver.  That's the kind of guy he was.  I hung out with him at dinners and lunches and thought he was a heck of a guy.  I really don't know anyone who had a bad word to say about him

When I say I miss the old days, this is what I'm talking about.  We were a real community back then.  We valued getting together in person.  The forum sales area wasn't to squeeze every last dollar out of every book, and it seemed a lot more fun.  Nik was one of the guys who lived that philosophy.  

Nik was an inspiration for all of my sales threads.  He and flaming telepath were the first of the regular feeding frenzies.  

Well no one sane had a bad word to say about him;) There was the B, lady;) 

9 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

I'm shocked...both Roy and I have a drink in our hands...so unusual for Chicago LMAO

Tim has two. That was the night I fell asleep with my socks on, and Tim posted a picture of it on the boards. 

I miss my friend. 

@Guardian Comics

Does anyone still have contact information for Nik's family? 

I'm thinking they might like to read this thread since it shows that, even after 10 years, Nik is still in the thoughts of many people on this forum.

19 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

@Guardian Comics

I'm thinking they might like to read this thread since it shows that, even after 10 years, Nik is still in the thoughts of many people on this forum.

@arexcrooke

33 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

@Guardian Comics

Not sure they need to see the dickwad seller thread.:eek:

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, namisgr said:

Amen.  It was the first time that Board members united in selfless, generous fund-raising for a beloved member of the collecting community.  I was and remain proud to have contributed toward the Board's lending a financial helping hand to Nik's family.  I remember it was Jim/Guardian Comics who stepped up big to pay generously for the comic I donated for the fundraiser.

Like many others, I got the chance to do some internet commerce and chatting with Nik.  We met in person, conducted a trade, and broke bread at what I believe was the first (or was it the second?) Baltimore Comic Con at the Convention Center.  Nik was an enjoyable, easygoing person to be around, and man he loved comics and the hobby, especially late Silver and Bronze age Marvels.  His life ended too soon, but it was very well lived.

Bob is absolutely right. The outpouring of love and generosity that was shown was stunning. Just stunning.

With any online community there are people who get on, people who don't, and some who just cant abide each other. None of that mattered during the auctions for Nik's family. None of it. People were generous like I have never experienced before. I want to say that over $80k was raised in his memory. 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:55 AM, joeypost said:

One of my most cherished moments at any comic convention was that last breakfast a few of us had with Nik. He had been complaining about headaches and talked about going to the doctor. That morning is more cherished to me than the first Greek town dinner at WWC  

Jim mentioned earlier in this thread about all the good times we had as a group, but things have never truly been the same since his passing. 

That was a great morning Joey. It was in the restaurant of the hotel Nik was staying in. It was a very good breakfast too! 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, TheWatcher said:

My favorite Nik memory was WW Chicago '08. Nik, Arex, and Danny arrived together for that con. Nik and Arex were like a comedy team. They made me laugh that entire show, usually by ripping on Danny lol

:cloud9: 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, Guardian Comics said:

Arex would call Danny "Elf" all the time, because of his Nightcrawler avatar, even though Danny was about three feet taller than Arex. :roflmao:

:banana: Nik and Danny taught me a lot about grading high end books at that show. Nik was always so free with what he knew. Danny was hilarious as well. 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:34 AM, chromium said:

Jebus 10 years...:(

In 2009 Nik invited me to his place in Boston, he still had a European soul and we had always gotten along well on the boards, so in July 2009 I finally flew to the US, had a BBQ with his wife and kids and a bunch of  boardies that were from the area but also Doc Watson and Arex that drove for 8 hours to get there. The next day we all spent geeking out over books in Nik's basement, where he had something that looked like a stripper pole installed, I still don't know what it was and I seem to remember someone walking into it, which had Nik laughing so hard :)

I remember he drove like a madman when he took us all down-town for Oysters, scared the bejeebus out of me,  I only have this very badly lit pic of that restaurant...all boardies, I'm not naming names, you all know who you are.

So many great things happened that weekend, I met boardies I had known for years (online) for the first time and most of them became very good friends. I'll always remember Nik with a smile and remember a lot of his stories, he would get so animated while telling them and then after he got it all out he was the sweetest guy you could imagine. I got back to Belgium around the 20th and received a PM that Nik had been hospitalised a day or so after I came back...and alas he passed away a few days later. 

Rest in peace buddy, You were quite the character, the world is a poorer place without you.

dinner2.jpg.2b296a29df2b27c10945a0d9f91fdc4e.jpg

I lost all of the pictures from Nik's on my phone when I went to back it up and the backup crashed. I cried. Literally cried.

I dont know when I was more afraid hm 

Nik driving...just in general or...

When SpoonPontoon was driving us down the turnpike in his KGB Mercedes at about 80 in a violent rainstorm and the windshield wiper comes off. and on that model of KBG-Cruiser there was only one. I nearly soiled myself :whatthe: