• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its been ten years since we lost Nik!!!
4 4

124 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:31 AM, Flee-Marquette said:

"We're going off the rails on the Forum Train......"

2008-forum-train_zpse8wj5mp7.jpg

Who is that sitting in front of me and Nik?

Roll call:

Stephen, Roy

Drew, Joey, Danny

Greggy (mystery lady hm) Watson

Timmay behind G? Miles in the Green shirt Me :cloud9: and Nikos

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, Foolkiller said:

Nik was a great guy and one of the true innovators on the boards in terms of selling.  His threads attracted a lot of attention because he knew how to grade and he wasn't afraid to give deals to forumites.  I wasn't super tight with him but I did consider him a friend.  He once came all the way to a show he wasn't planning on attending in NYC because I wanted a book and he offered to hand deliver.  That's the kind of guy he was.  I hung out with him at dinners and lunches and thought he was a heck of a guy.  I really don't know anyone who had a bad word to say about him

When I say I miss the old days, this is what I'm talking about.  We were a real community back then.  We valued getting together in person.  The forum sales area wasn't to squeeze every last dollar out of every book, and it seemed a lot more fun.  Nik was one of the guys who lived that philosophy.  

Nik was an inspiration for all of my sales threads.  He and flaming telepath were the first of the regular feeding frenzies.  

Well said B

15 hours ago, Transplant said:

I have my Nik/Nike shirt still. 

I don’t have lots of Nik stories to tell. We knew each other via a large group PM. Lots of laughs that way. We did some deals. We PMd each other. We met briefly. The next year he was gone. What I did know better was the hole in people’s lives that he left behind. My friends grieved longer and harder than I could given their history together. What I hate are people who tell lies about their interactions with Nik. But I refuse to turn this into a thread about someone other than Nik. 

His death, for better or worse, brought this board together. It was the first boardie passing that I knew since I joined in 2007.  More than that, it was someone everyone seemed to hold in high esteem. But what I took away was the overwhelming support of the boards. I will always have the daredevil statue that used to belong to Nik. When people talk about the good old days of the boards, they mean the camaraderie of people like Nik, the people who grieved him, the people who celebrated him and the people who continue to remember him.  

Well said Mike! I too still have my Nik shirt. Wont go anywhere either. 

23 minutes ago, Flee-Marquette said:

I believe that is 3rdgreenham.  Here is another angle.

2008-nikarex3rdgreen_zpsr1doan90.jpg

Nice t-shirt, @arexcrooke!!!  I wish they still made those wrestling specific ones anymore.  I've still got 3-4 beaters in the closet.

Tell Watson I still love him, and wish he'd come back.

Edited by lizards2

I don't remember signing that animation cel, but i was really depressed when i looked all around and didn't see my name at first.

I only got to know Nik a little bit, but like Arex said, he would treat you like family if you gave him the merest indication you were worthy of his friendship.  The boards are so much poorer for his absence.

33 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Arex....is this more than you will post all year????

I’m glad you did....it’s been awesome.

Jim

:hi: Ive been doing some selling here lately but haven't gotten back into posting much in the forums. I need to though.

I read Brians thread that got shut down (why I dunno) but it was a good trip down bitter memory lane wasn't it lol 

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Nice t-shirt, @arexcrooke!!!  I wish they still made those wrestling specific ones anymore.  I've still got 3-4 beaters in the closet.

Tell Watson I still love him, and wish he'd come back.

Mine has finally gotten a hole right behind the neck where you pull to get the shirt off. I have to be careful now.

I wish Watson would come back too :tonofbricks: 

2 hours ago, Senormac said:

The cell traveled all around the country and gathered WAAAY more sigs than are on it here.  Perhaps someone has a "closer to the final" shot of it.  

I found it .

NIKCell.thumb.jpg.638fbf4a116591a74d281f82b9f21bb0.jpg

For the life of me I can't remember where I signed it (yes I know above the beak of the cello-bird, but where physically), it didn't travel halfway around the world did it ?

5 hours ago, arexcrooke said:

:hi: Ive been doing some selling here lately but haven't gotten back into posting much in the forums. I need to though.

I read Brians thread that got shut down (why I dunno) but it was a good trip down bitter memory lane wasn't it lol 

That thread was just getting good. 

Just now, joeypost said:

That thread was just getting good. 

Can you imagine how few things would have been learned here if the moderation had not been as open to letting us argue, debate, debauch, denigrate, and demean? 98% of the community wouldn't know what pressing is or how Ewert was micro-trimming and that's just off the top of my head

1 hour ago, chromium said:

For the life of me I can't remember where I signed it (yes I know above the beak of the cello-bird, but where physically), it didn't travel halfway around the world did it ?

I dont think it did. Although it must have made a trip across the pond as Garry, GAZ, signed it and he is way over in Hemel-Hempstead England. 
I would have thought you signed it Allan on one of your jaunts over here.