• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do I usually pay tax now on eBay but tonight I did not?

10 posts in this topic

Ok now I am confused... 

Me? NY.  Lately we have been paying sales tax on everything that is shipped to a NY address. 

Tonight I bought something on eBay and was NOT charged sales tax. 

So... what am I missing here?

If it means anything I made an offer to the seller who accepted.  The auction had a starting bid for $125 and had a 'make an offer'.  I offered $135 and he accepted.  My total bill came to $142.50 ($7.50 in shipping).  I also used my $21 in eBay bucks. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 11.57.34 PM.png

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I would contact ebay to avoid stepping in some bear trap.

You know, they are actually open now.  The customer service department is based out of the Philippines.  

I doubt I will step into a bear trap over this.  Just wondering what the ruling is. 

9 hours ago, comicquant said:

Yes but Mr Cuomo has made it so that we are all paying tax on online purchases.  I paid tax with a seller that was new to ebay last month. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Yes but Mr Cuomo has made it so that we are all paying tax on online purchases.  I paid tax with a seller that was new to ebay last month. 

Tax can only be determined by the state in which the sale originates.  If the seller resides in New York then something weird happened, otherwise it's likely a state which doesn't yet collect tax for online sales.  New York can't collect sales tax on a sale in another state.  Breaks the law regarding interstate commerce.  I think thats how it goes.  I'm recalling this from when my wife was in law school and during a drive to florida we listened to these CD's in preparation for a final...  The commerce laws were boring but the most interesting of bunch.  But...  The laws I'm sure have evolved since then. 

29 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Tax can only be determined by the state in which the sale originates.  If the seller resides in New York then something weird happened, otherwise it's likely a state which doesn't yet collect tax for online sales.  New York can't collect sales tax on a sale in another state.  Breaks the law regarding interstate commerce.  I think thats how it goes.  I'm recalling this from when my wife was in law school and during a drive to florida we listened to these CD's in preparation for a final...  The commerce laws were boring but the most interesting of bunch.  But...  The laws I'm sure have evolved since then. 

I was under that impression as well, but was told in the eBay thread that it depends on where the buyer resides...

Goes into effect in Texas October 1st, guess that I'll find out soon enough...

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

47 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was under that impression as well, but was told in the eBay thread that it depends on where the buyer resides...

Goes into effect in Texas October 1st, guess that I'll find out soon enough...

New York State successfully passed a law requiring all New York residents to pay tax on online purchases.  In New York collection of tax was dependant on the buyer and not where the seller resides.  This is why all of a sudden I found myself paying tax on CLink purchases for the first time even though they do not have a physical location within the state. 

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/policy/technology/new-york-gets-internet-sales-tax.html

Also, I'm not arguing, just trying to figure it out and learn. 

Edited by Buzzetta