• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

49th Overstreet Top 25 Bronze comics
1 1

41 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, divad said:

My personal take on what can be dropped from the list:

This year's top 25:

11. Star Wars 2 35 cent variant

11. Star Wars 3 35 cent variant

11. Star Wars 4 35 cent variant

15. X-Men 94

21. Amazing Spider-Man 101

I think the entire list should be redrawn. :sumo: So many of these are no longer relevant.

I think you nailed it here.

SW 2,3, and 4 are not new stories nor a #1. They also are not rare in comparison to the other 35 cent books.

X-men 94 is no ones first appearance and Morbius ??  Really??  "B" list at best.

6 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

I think you nailed it here.

SW 2,3, and 4 are not new stories nor a #1. They also are not rare in comparison to the other 35 cent books.

X-men 94 is no ones first appearance and Morbius ??  Really??  "B" list at best.

I disagree.  X94 is the first Chris Claremont.  The FIRST reboot of X-men series after 5 years of Xmen reprints into the continuity.  After GSX1 shooting up this year, this book is next.  People even coveted this book more than GSX1 in the 80s. 

19 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Finally! I have all the top 25 bronze comics at the time an Overstreet comes out. Those Vampirellas from last year threw me a little bit. 

This year's top 25:

1. Star Wars 1 35 cent variant

2. Incredible Hulk 181

3. Iron Fist 14 35 cent variant

4. House of Secrets 92

5. Cerebus 1

6. Green Lantern 76

7. Scooby Doo 1 (gold key)

8. Marvel Spotlight 5

9. Giant Size X-Men 1

10. Amazing Spider-Man 129

14. Iron Man 55

15. X-Men 94

16. DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5

16. Hero for Hire 1

18. Batman 227

18. Batman 251

20. Uncle Scrooge 179

21. Tomb of Dracula 10

23. All-Star Western 10

23. Batman 232

23. Detective Comics 411

Lots of good stuff in there but does anyone think Overstreet is stil undervaluing any issues? Obviously TOD 10 would be ticking up after the Mahershala Ali announcement...

Love that Cerebus 1 is still there! 

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I disagree.  X94 is the first Chris Claremont.  The FIRST reboot of X-men series after 5 years of Xmen reprints into the continuity.  After GSX1 shooting up this year, this book is next.  People even coveted this book more than GSX1 in the 80s. 

I think 94 will start moving up with the price correction everyone says is coming. X-Men 101 seems undervalued in the guide too.

On 7/24/2019 at 9:50 AM, PeterPark said:

Now that I'm thinking about it, Werewolf by Night 32 seems like an oversight...

On 7/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, PeterPark said:

The plot thickens. Overstreet lists WWBN 32 at $1500 which would put it at rank 15. Incredible Hulk 180 is listed at $850 which would put it at #26 but I believe that is undervalued. WWBN 32 should be on that list. The interesting thing is, apparently no issue listed in this year's top 25 was not in last year's top 25 according to Overstreet's own previous year rank. But if you actually look at last year's listed top 25 (in the 48th Overstreet), it doesn't exactly correspond to what this year says last year's were.

There's actually a very simple explanation for this and you have already nailed it with your earlier post.  The failure to list WWBN 32 is nothing more than an oversight on Overstreet's part.  doh!

Looks like the oversight took place in last year's guide when they went from a Top 10 BA Chart and expanded it into a Top 25 BA Chart.  Another book they missed when this change took place was Marvel Spotlight #5 even though it should have been there in Spot #18 with a top of guide valuation last year of $1,250.  Looks like they also missed Hero for Hire #1 in that changeover year since it should have been slotted in at Spot #18 with a top of guide valuation of $1,300.  I imagine it's easy to missed the odd book here and there when you are expanding the list,but to miss it 2 years ina row.  (shrug)

Interesting to note that the MS #5 took the percentage gain on the Top 25 BA Chart this year by far with a 60% gain as it moved from $1,250 right up all the way into Spot #8 with a top of guide valuation of $2,000.  Now, that seems like a pretty huge percentage gain and rather un-Overstreet like when you take his long acknowledged slow and conservative approach to valuation increases.  :whatthe:

On 7/24/2019 at 10:48 AM, ygogolak said:
On 7/24/2019 at 9:54 AM, kimik said:

Will Iron Man #55 still be on this list in a year or two?

99.5% Yes

I thought this book was selling pretty much around last year's condition guide prices earlier this year, if not even slightly under in a couple of the major auctions.  (shrug)

I would have to say this book has definitely dropped down quite a bit from where it was selling for a couple of years ago.  I guess it really shouldn't be that much of a surprise though, when there's an absolute ton of graded copies out there, with a large portion of them in HG condition.  hm

On 7/24/2019 at 12:37 PM, PeterPark said:

Finally! I have all the top 25 bronze comics at the time an Overstreet comes out. Those Vampirellas from last year threw me a little bit. 

This year's top 25:

1. Star Wars 1 35 cent variant

2. Incredible Hulk 181

3. Iron Fist 14 35 cent variant

4. House of Secrets 92

5. Cerebus 1

6. Green Lantern 76

7. Scooby Doo 1 (gold key)

8. Marvel Spotlight 5

9. Giant Size X-Men 1

10. Amazing Spider-Man 129

14. Iron Man 55

15. X-Men 94

16. DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5

16. Hero for Hire 1

18. Batman 227

18. Batman 251

20. Uncle Scrooge 179

21. Tomb of Dracula 10

23. All-Star Western 10

23. Batman 232

23. Detective Comics 411

Lots of good stuff in there but does anyone think Overstreet is stil undervaluing any issues? Obviously TOD 10 would be ticking up after the Mahershala Ali announcement...

ASM 101?

Someone please give me some of what this man is smoking.

3 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

ASM 101?

Someone please give me some of what this man is smoking.

Personally from strictly a collector's point of view without any thought to valuation, I would definitely take Spidey 121 over ASM 101.  hm

From a strict valuation point of view though, hard to tell since there's absolute thousands of graded copies of these books out there plus what I am sure must be a far even higher quantity of raw copies out there sitting in private collections.  (shrug)

Honestly though, I would take Avengers 93 over either one of these Spidey books.  Especially since I still remember it being one of the top, if not the #1 BA book out there decades ago.  :cloud9:

On 7/27/2019 at 5:29 PM, lou_fine said:

There's actually a very simple explanation for this and you have already nailed it with your earlier post.  The failure to list WWBN 32 is nothing more than an oversight on Overstreet's part.  doh!

Looks like the oversight took place in last year's guide when they went from a Top 10 BA Chart and expanded it into a Top 25 BA Chart.  Another book they missed when this change took place was Marvel Spotlight #5 even though it should have been there in Spot #18 with a top of guide valuation last year of $1,250.  Looks like they also missed Hero for Hire #1 in that changeover year since it should have been slotted in at Spot #18 with a top of guide valuation of $1,300.  I imagine it's easy to missed the odd book here and there when you are expanding the list,but to miss it 2 years ina row.  (shrug)

Interesting to note that the MS #5 took the percentage gain on the Top 25 BA Chart this year by far with a 60% gain as it moved from $1,250 right up all the way into Spot #8 with a top of guide valuation of $2,000.  Now, that seems like a pretty huge percentage gain and rather un-Overstreet like when you take his long acknowledged slow and conservative approach to valuation increases.  :whatthe:

I think the better way of looking at it is which books would you readily pay full overstreet in NM- 9.2 for when making the list. I have not seen the new guide yet as it is sitting in my file, but my guess is that MS 5 and WWBN 32 have more enticing guide values than IM 55.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

But WWBN 32 isn't?

Yeah, I don't know. It's a goof. I guess maybe somebody at Overstreet figured a bird in the hand? Morbius is acutally filming, right? But nobody knows when or even if Moon Knight will show up.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:36 PM, MisterX said:

Pretty sure ASM 101 is on the list because of movie speculation. 

Well, if the news is already out there and on the boards here, it's probably way too late as history has clearly shown us the long term price trend for movie hype related comic books and it's usually not a pretty picture if you happen to buy at the wrong time.  hm  :tonofbricks:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if the news is already out there and on the boards here, it's probably way too late as history has clearly shown us the long term price trend for movie hype related comic books and it's usually not a pretty picture if you happen to buy at the wrong time.  hm  :tonofbricks:

Can you elaborate on this? I just got back into collecting after a 20+ year absence. Been shedding parts of my meager collection that I no longer want (mostly minor keys and other random semi-valuable books) to focus on major keys, mainly involving MCU characters.

For instance, how did sales of Black Panther's first appearance track from rumor, to announcement, to release of the film? Or for Captain Marvel or GotG? (My apologies if this has already been discussed to death.)

Edited by alexanderjk

17 hours ago, Brian48 said:

LOL. Just perusing through the book. Love the description for Power Girl 27 - “Ample cleavage cover”. 

I wonder how they will describe the Vampirella 2 Artgerm cover B that is coming out in August? Check it out in the modern section. Makes AH covers look wholesome.

Overstreet's list of the Top 25 Bronze books is incorrect for the second year in a row now. Same goes for their expanded Silver, Copper & Modern lists. I'm sure Gold has some errors too, but I don't watch that one as closely. This is sad on a few different levels.

1 minute ago, Ant-Man said:

Overstreet's list of the Top 25 Bronze books is incorrect for the second year in a row now. Same goes for their expanded Silver, Copper & Modern lists. I'm sure Gold has some errors too, but I don't watch that one as closely. This is sad on a few different levels.

No kidding. You think there are enough problems with the Guide, and then you realize that they can't even make proper lists based on their numbers!